U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,108,669 times

Advertisements

Both are very underrated. I'd pick Kansas City though. It's much bigger and up-and-coming imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 AM

655 posts, read 559,632 times
Had the privilege of visiting both for a week or so each. Both lovely cities, IMO. A little conservative politically for me, but I'm probably more liberal than most.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,871,424 times
Kansas City feels bigger and slightly more cosmopolitan (for a Midwestern city) than Omaha. Both a humble Midwestern cities with strong blue collar history, if that's what you want.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,139,658 times
I've spent a great deal of time in both. It's close, but my choice would be KC.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,202,856 times
Does the OP like cold winters? KC will be quite a bit warmer than Omaha and not as much snow most years, but still gets quite a bit of ice. I spent a few years visiting KC and always hated getting back home to the cold winters in Iowa.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:24 AM

183 posts, read 155,019 times
They're 180 miles apart. The winters in Omaha are not that much colder or snowier than KC.. Especially over the past decade. That argument is a complete wash in my opinion..

Peace...

Old 05-05-2016, 11:40 AM

I don't agree ... KC can be snow free in winter and once you pass the border it's all snow. I've seen this many times.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:38 PM

183 posts, read 155,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I don't agree ... KC can be snow free in winter and once you pass the border it's all snow. I've seen this many times.
I have a cousin who has lived in KC for 20 years now and another close friend who moved there in 2009, neither can remember a winter that was "snow free" in KC. In fact, 2 winters ago, the big storms were missing Omaha and dumping snow in KC quite frequently..

Again, these cities are in the midwest and only 180 miles apart. It gets cold and snows in both. But neither are hugely different than the other as it relates to winter weather.. So I'd put the breaks on creating an image that Midwestern KC is somehow located in a sub tropical zone ..

Peace...

Old 05-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
I have a cousin who has lived in KC for 20 years now and another close friend who moved there in 2009, neither can remember a winter that was "snow free" in KC. In fact, 2 winters ago, the big storms were missing Omaha and dumping snow in KC quite frequently..

Again, these cities are in the midwest and only 180 miles apart. It gets cold and snows in both. But neither are hugely different than the other as it relates to winter weather.. So I'd put the breaks on creating an image that Midwestern KC is somehow located in a sub tropical zone ..

Peace...
Winters in KC are not completely snow free, but I've been there when the snow has melted and the grass is showing in January. I've also driven through in February from Texas. The south end of KC had very light snow covering and mostly dirt showing ... by the time you got north of KC (Liberty) the ground starts getting completely covered and much colder. By the time i reached the Iowa border it's even colder. I spent 11 years driving through KC at least twice a year for family reasons. I've lived in Iowa for 20 years. Before that I lived in Southern California for 36 years so maybe I feel the differences more acutely than you would. My family in KC definitely feel winters are easier than Iowa. 180 miles makes a big difference. But you're right, it's not the tropics in KC

Last edited by smpliving; 05-06-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 08:19 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Winters in KC are not completely snow free, but I've been there when the snow has melted and the grass is showing in January. I've also driven through in February from Texas. The south end of KC had very light snow covering and mostly dirt showing ... by the time you got north of KC (Liberty) the ground starts getting completely covered and much colder. By the time i reached the Iowa border it's even colder. I spent 11 years driving through KC at least twice a year for family reasons. I've lived in Iowa for 20 years. Before that I lived in Southern California for 36 years so maybe I feel the differences more acutely than you would. My family in KC definitely feel winters are easier than Iowa. 180 miles makes a big difference. But you're right, it's not the tropics in KC
Exactly correct. Locals that have lived in the KC region don't have any idea what real Midwest winters are like, anywhere north and east of KC. Try average highs in the 20s and 50-80 inches of snow per season on average (in the Great Lakes region). KC winters are pretty much identical to the Upper South these days with temps a bit cooler and a touch more snow. Des Moines is about 6-10 F colder at least compared to KC in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or