U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 AM

634 posts, read 470,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I've lived in many areas of the Midwest, KC will always be close to the edge of the region in many ways.
I wouldn't KC being a sunbelt or western city, but the fact of the matter is we are midwest.

Mods, this thread should probably be moved to the City vs City forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
What weather station are you using? Downtown airport averages 16.8 a year probably due to urban heat island but that's the more accurate measurement for anyone in the central city. It does get quite cold still though so I agree with that though averages are warmer than almost everywhere else in the Midwest year round.

For comparison, upper south Louisville International Airport averages 24 inches a year.
That's not accurate. According to wunderground.com Louisville edges 14 inches a year.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
The average annual snowfall for KC has now dropped to 16-17 inches per winter. The fact of the matter is that KC often shuts down over a couple of inches of snowfall (especially the schools) which is a complete joke if you're comparing it the vast majority of the Midwest or anywhere in the north.
KC is culturally, linguistically, and demographically Midwestern. It is more similar to Minneapolis Omaha and Des Moines than to Tulsa, OKC, Little Rock or Dallas.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:12 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,317,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
KC is culturally, linguistically, and demographically Midwestern. It is more similar to Minneapolis Omaha and Des Moines than to Tulsa, OKC, Little Rock or Dallas.
Pretty much regardless of what region they are in (or, in the case of GranitStater, what region you pretend they are in) KC and Omaha are certainly in the region, and cities cut from a very similar cloth. As I said earlier, I cannot imagine liking one and not the other, and while I think KC has some advantages, they are almost all a direct result of being a significantly larger city, and I for many people there might be just as many advantages to being a smaller city. I know I have never had much interest in living in a big city, and have always preferred mid sized cities, so it's very believable to me that exactly the things that make me like KC more, might make someone else prefer Omaha.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
Quote:
That's not accurate. According to wunderground.com Louisville edges 14 inches a year.
I pulled the data from Wikipedia which in turn pulled the data from NOAA

ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/nor...21.normals.txt

Old 05-12-2016, 07:38 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Other cities that are actually closer to the "edge of the region" than KC is to your definition of the end of the Midwest include:

Omaha, Minneapolis, Detroit, Green Bay, Toledo, Akron, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St Louis, Milwaukee, Fort Wayne, Springfield IL, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Chicago.

Keep trying though. You have succesfully convinced no one that KC is not in the Midwest, despite years of blathering on.
KC being near the periphery of the Midwest is very much influenced by other regions and is barely removed from the South as well. In terms of climate, KC will never have much in common with the majority of the Midwest and that is a fact (for better or worse). KC never acts like a northern city at all when it comes to winter weather, but it certainly can put on quite the drama fest over a couple inches of snow. With average temperatures increasing with time, KC will be very similar to other areas of the South in terms of CLIMATE.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
KC being near the periphery of the Midwest is very much influenced by other regions and is barely removed from the South as well. In terms of climate, KC will never have much in common with the majority of the Midwest and that is a fact (for better or worse). KC never acts like a northern city at all when it comes to winter weather, but it certainly can put on quite the drama fest over a couple inches of snow. With average temperatures increasing with time, KC will be very similar to other areas of the South in terms of CLIMATE.
KC isn't at the southern boundary of the Midwest. That boundary is roughly 100 miles to the south of KC at Joplin.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Quote:
KC isn't at the southern boundary of the Midwest. That boundary is roughly 100 miles to the south of KC at Joplin.
The South is substantially closer to KC than that, but some would disagree.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:42 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Both are good cities. Omaha is like a mini-KC, maybe a little bit less blight. KC is a bit big for me, I personally would prefer Omaha. KC is solidly Midwestern. I'd agree Joplin is still a Midwestern city with hints of Southern culture. The Ozarks are somewhat Southern, but some of that is just for show. Most tourists to the Ozarks and Branson are from up north. The Ozarks, even into NW Arkansas have lost a lot of their Southerness. My father grew up in NE Kansas and went to college in NW Arkansas and he said its night and day difference from when he was younger. At least here the Midwestern culture is moving farther south.

KC weather of course will be warmer then its northern neighbors, but that doesn't make it less Midwestern. Regardless we are talking about Omaha and KC, the two cities are basically twins.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:48 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Quote:
The South is substantially closer to KC than that, but some would disagree.
The Southern culture in SE Kansas and SW Missouri are very limited. Joplin, Pittsburg, Springfield, even Branson are mostly Midwestern. Joplin is over 100 miles from KC. I think you would find very few people who would define Joplin or Pittsburg as Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or