U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:36 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,073,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The Southern culture in SE Kansas and SW Missouri are very limited. Joplin, Pittsburg, Springfield, even Branson are mostly Midwestern. Joplin is over 100 miles from KC. I think you would find very few people who would define Joplin or Pittsburg as Southern.
I'm guessing they would seem a bit southern to someone from the Great Lakes Region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 10:58 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,463,002 times
KC for me. It just has a lot more of an edge to it. I don't mind Omaha and it offers a good quality of life, but it's just not big enough for me to feel like I'm in a real city. It would be a great place to raise kids or to get back on your feet if you're floundering in, say, your early 20s. But if you have your stuff together and don't want to settle down yet, I would think KC would be more fun.

I think KC and Cleveland are kind of similar, actually, if you compare only the Missouri side of KC to Cleveland and its first- and second-ring suburbs. They're both "everything you could want but you have to know where to look" kind of cities.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:11 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,641,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm guessing they would seem a bit southern to someone from the Great Lakes Region.
I agree and similar statements can be made visa versa, but that doesn't make it not Midwestern. Anyway, none of that has anything to do with the thread.

I don't think the OP can really make a wrong decision, KC has more because it's bigger, but Omaha is good too. Both have a great quality of life for the cost of living.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:18 PM

KC has a much larger MSA, but city proper, the two cities are very close. If you want a more densely populated city, Omaha is more than twice as dense as KC. If you like suburbs and more room, Kansas City wins. KC has more amenities (professional athletics), so that's something. I grew up in Omaha, and it's extremely underrated. Both are nice cities.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:34 PM

183 posts, read 154,931 times
I think simply writing Omaha off as "not being big enough for me to feel like I'm in a real city"..then passing it off as just a great place to raise a family shows a pervasive attitude that only bigger is better..and clearly, at least to me, it also shows that people who spread that attitude around have either spent very minimal time in Omaha, or not any time in this city at all..

Is Omaha Shangri La? No. But I'd argue what or where is..And more specific to this discussion, is KC??..

Tha said, Omaha is a fantastic mid major metro- 430,000 city and 1 million metro. It punches above its weight. Has a diverse and growing economy, a nice job market.. A diverse population.. And a very good and vastly underrated food and music scene.. Omaha's craft beer scene is becoming fantastic with many, many more options available than just 5 years ago..

I've said it before in this thread, because I knew I'd read comments downgrading Omaha because of size.. But Omaha and KC are more similar than different. KC has twice the metro population and 2 professional sports teams.. If that floats you're tipping boat, then so be it..

KC is a great town. I like it and could easily live there. That said, I live in Omaha and it really and truly does provide a REAL urban city experience.. And discounting it simply because it's a smaller, only 1 million metro, just smacks as ignorant and dismissive..

Spend some actual time in Omaha, and you'll find out how inaccurate those comments really are..

Peace...

Old 05-14-2016, 06:35 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,004,977 times
Omaha and KC are both nice. KC probably offers more overall, but as others have mentioned, also slightly more headaches than Omaha would. Also, I personally would prefer Omaha's weather, as I like snow during the winters and mild summers. Not sure which I'd pick, so I'll abstain. One neat thing these two have going for them that is unique among MW cities is the ability to get in the car and leave at like 7, and perhaps be in Chicago by 2, but also be in Western Mountains by about that time (Omaha's drive to both is slightly shorter, though.)

Last edited by cavsfan137; 05-14-2016 at 07:17 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 08:48 AM

634 posts, read 470,567 times
Quote:
KC has a much larger MSA, but city proper, the two cities are very close. If you want a more densely populated city, Omaha is more than twice as dense as KC. If you like suburbs and more room, Kansas City wins. KC has more amenities (professional athletics), so that's something. I grew up in Omaha, and it's extremely underrated. Both are nice cities.
Are you sure about this? Kansas City has about 20,000 people living downtown, and you're saying Omaha is more densely populated than that? I couldn't find any numbers on Omaha's downtown, but in my experience of both cities, Kansas City is more dense and urban in every way

Old 05-15-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Are you sure about this? Kansas City has about 20,000 people living downtown, and you're saying Omaha is more densely populated than that? I couldn't find any numbers on Omaha's downtown, but in my experience of both cities, Kansas City is more dense and urban in every way
It was the city proper, overall, not just downtown. Omaha is much more dense, in a larger sense. Not sure about downtown. (The numbers were from City Data).

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kansas...issouri.html#b

http://www.city-data.com/city/Omaha-Nebraska.html#b

An additional fact here, Omaha has 4 Fortune 500 companies (had 5, but ConAgra moved), and KC has 1.

Last edited by NowInWI; 05-15-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 11:47 AM

634 posts, read 470,567 times
Quote:
It was the city proper, overall, not just downtown. Omaha is much more dense, in a larger sense. Not sure about downtown. (The numbers were from City Data).

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kansas...issouri.html#b

http://www.city-data.com/city/Omaha-Nebraska.html#b

An additional fact here, Omaha has 4 Fortune 500 companies (had 5, but ConAgra moved), and KC has 1.

Eh. Kansas City metro is more than twice as large as Omaha's. Add in areas like Midtown and Plaza, and the professional sports teams, I think KC really comes out ahead of Omaha in most places

Kansas City

Omaha

[IMG]https://www.owhstore.com/shop/images/D/d-37817.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2016, 12:21 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,641,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
I found these numbers online for the year 2010, I believe these numbers are for the city proper and not the entire metros.

Omaha: 3,217.9/sq mi
Kansas City, MO: 1,474.2/sq mi

I was surprised that Omaha is more then double the density of KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or