U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,319,826 times

Advertisements

In the big picture, the 2 places have very similar densities. City proper densities are relatively unsound ways to measure, especially in the case of places like KC, which annexed huge amounts of totally undeveloped land in the middle to late 20th century. To this day, around 50% of KCMO's total land mass is undeveloped land, including a lot of working farmland. I believe Omaha has a higher UA density, which is a better metric of actual "city" size and density. It may well have a slightly higher weight density as well. That said, KC has a lot more people (and areas) in a the moderately high-density census tracts that constitute the urban cores of both cities, and thus "feels" bigger, denser, and more urban. It also has a much bigger pre-war urban core. Omaha, by contrast, has less abandonment and blight in it's rougher neighborhoods, and less ghetto in general. It also has more a bigger proportion of the city in 5,000-6,000 ppsm range (but less in the 7,500-12,000 ppm range), as well as having less leap-frog suburban development.

Certainly, the urban core of KC is bigger, more cohesive and more urban than the core swath of Omaha, but not by leaps and bounds. Both cities consist largely single-family homes, though KC has a lot more 1900-30's small multi-family housing units, a bigger, more populous downtown, and a couple swaths of urbanity like Northeast, the Plaza, and eastern KCK for which Omaha doesn't really have equivalents. But Omaha makes up for it in the intactness of many of their urban core neighborhoods.

Again, it wouldn't surprise me to find that Omaha is slightly denser than KC by almost every relevant metric, but city proper population density isn't really one of them, and anyone who thinks Omaha is twice as dense as KC has likely never set foot in both places.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:49 AM

118 posts, read 83,109 times
what a silly argument. this is not up for debate and in this case numbers do lie. I've lived in both and Omaha does not compare to kansas city. If this was a KC vs STL argument or something along those lines then i would understand but KC is on another level.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:08 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,664,467 times
Omaha.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:07 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,633,014 times
I have lived in Omaha and been to Kansas City many times but not recently.

I much prefer Omaha. The people are much friendlier and down to earth. The most friendly and down to earth city I have ever lived in or visited.

Omaha is much smaller but has a much better economy. I wouldn't know about IT in either city as I don't work in that field.

Both cities are very affordable by national standards. Both cities have a wide range of housing from dense, urban neighborhoods to brand new apartments and homes.

Omaha dense areas are from Dodge to Leavenworth Street from downtown to 72nd street. The massive Nebraska Medical Center and University of Nebraska Omaha are both along Dodge. There are alot of old, multi-story apartment complexes through that corridor that have been newly remodeled.

There are likely more unmarried people in this area then other parts of Omaha.

Kansas City has Westport and Country Club Plaza. The supposedly have an area called the "Power and Lights district" but I haven't been to Kansas City since it opened.

Neither city is known for having a good singles scene. But to be honest I have not been to a city yet where a majority of people in their late 20s are not a commited relationship or married.

Omaha and Kansas City both have good infrastructure in my opinion for their size.

Kansas City metro area offers alot also and is likely an underrated area especially the price. Just overall, Omaha is a more appealing city in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or