U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 17,397 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I work in sales and I'm not required to be in the office so you could say I work remotely. I currently live in Illinois with a family member (don't own any property at the moment). My employer has offices in Texas, Florida and Nevada among a few other states, so I'm allowed to live in one of those states if I want.

Since I have family and friends in Illinois, I want to spend 99% of my time in Illinois. But is it possible to become a resident of Texas, Florida or Nevada and no longer pay state income tax since since I can technically 'work' there? If so, would I need to buy or rent property in one of these states to claim residency or is there a way around that?

The main thing I don't want to get myself in any tax dilemma with the state of Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
If you are living in Illinois 99% of the time, then Illinois would have an agreement and exemption with the other states over waving income taxes. It probably doesn't exist since the only exemptions I am aware of are between border states.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:43 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,981,092 times
If you reside in a state, you are subject to the tax laws of that state. It's just that simple.
Now, theoretically, if you claim residence in, say, Texas, and that is where you own property, or rent, and get your mail, and do your banking, register to vote, and actually vote, and such, you can claim that for income tax purposes, that you are Texan.

If you go hang out in Chicago with cousin Harold, and while you're at Harold's house, you make some phone calls, then it's probably no big deal.

On the other hand, if the State of Illinois discovers, and can document that you have been doing most of your work for the last year while hanging out with Cousin Harold, then they may be able to make a case for expecting you to pay up.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:57 AM

7,714 posts, read 4,572,099 times
Or you could choose not to be a deadbeat, and pay for the services you receive from the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or