U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:32 PM

628 posts, read 758,244 times

Advertisements

I think Alaska, Hawaii, most of Florida and probably most of Texas (someone pointed this out earlier) are their own regions and don't really have that much in common with anyone but themselves. Alaska does have some similarities with the PNW and northern FL has similarities with the deep south as does east Texas. Hawaii is Hawaii and nothing more, which is wonderful.

No map will ever be perfect, but it was fun making it and I'm glad I've traveled enough to actually understand the cultural boundaries... somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
So, I made a map of the different regions of the U.S. in Windows paint.

Obviously these are my interpretations of the cultural differences in the United States and yours will surely differ.

Do you agree? If you do not agree, tell me why.
For the most part I don't think it's too bad. Like someone else mentioned I would add another region called the Midwest or Midlands, whatever, from say KC to Indianapolis/Columbus and North to the Canadian border, excluding the Great Lakes region of course. Besides that, I don't think it's too bad, some of the edges could be argued, but close enough.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:06 PM

582 posts, read 776,350 times
You're too generous with the Mid-Atlantic in Virginia, and not all of Maryland is in that region either. The Mid-Atlantic does not spread all the way down to Richmond and the Tidewater, and the Upper South should go up to Route 50 or so in Maryland. Southern Maryland, the Lower Eastern Shore, and Tidewater Virginia are all southern in dialect and culture.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 05-01-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 05-01-2016, 03:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 704,421 times
I'd include most of Ohio and Indiana in the Upland South rather than the Great Lakes area, personally (more religious/evangelical, whiter, much higher population growth and better economic prospects, Midland accents instead of Inland North accents), exceptions being the northern parts like Cleveland, Akron, and South Bend. Other than that it seems mostly good.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:07 PM

5,885 posts, read 2,737,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Florida is an enigma...
So true !

http://i.imgur.com/nGBDpMT.jpg

http://www.statsfromleftfield.com/wp...ions_of_US.png

http://kalarhythms.org/images/gaia/r...tes-states.gif

http://www.unzcloud.com/wp-content/u...ations-4-3.png

Old 05-01-2016, 08:17 PM

5,055 posts, read 4,091,562 times
I love your map IndieIndy! Ok I see Florida as undefined lol...very true. The Great Plains thing has thrown me off a bit, however, but I'm sure you have an argument to make!

Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I agree. The most controversy is where the Upland South meets the great lakes. I like how you made Covington and Louisville KY mostly Great lakes, but sprinkled some Upland South both in and around them Do you really think Terre Haute IN is the great plains? I don't know...
Covington and Louisville aren't Great Lakes. AT ALL. Louisville is Southern. Covington is at the Southern edge of the Midwest.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:20 PM

900 posts, read 765,002 times
Tidewater VA has been considered the Mid-Atlantic since way before most of you were born.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:29 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,171,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So true !
First one is definitely the most accurate, well except half of Connecticut being "mid Atlantic". Then again, I wonder if the proximity to New York City has something to do with that.

You know, I wonder, do more people in Connecticut root for the Boston based sports teams or the New York based sports teams?

Florida's transient population starts around Palm Coast on the east side extending westward to the Villages, then to Spring Hill on the west side points southward. Areas north of that line are distinctly southern IMO.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:34 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,534,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Tidewater VA has been considered the Mid-Atlantic since way before most of you were born.
Its complicated, I would say all the way up to Dover on the Delmarva could be the upper south, but at the same time, the lowlands are more like Charleston, SC than Lexington, KY, but Dover Delaware and Salisbury MD really don't belong in the Deep South.
The thing that makes American Regions so complicated is there are largely N-S cultural axis of cities that "Grew up" together Boston-->Baltimore--> Savannah who share old colonial ties, New Orleans--->St Louis---> St Paul who share the mighty Mississippi, and then E-W which migration patterns (Boston--> Cleveland---> Portland, OR) or how Southern Culture spread west bringing New Mexico, Arizona and Texas into the Old South Confederacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or