U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:50 PM

78,596 posts, read 70,482,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover1998 View Post
Okay, thanks you guys so much for ALL your GREAT answers! So far I think I'm leaning towards like maybe somewhere between Boston and Providence. I would be close to Boston and Providence, the ocean and New York City for weekend trips, but I think I just need to sometime soon take a trip threw out that area. I'm thinking coastal New England so is the winters really bad still on the coast? Is there anywhere outside of the New England area you guys think I would possibly like? Thanks again for all your help!
The winters have been so bad the last two years that NE-erners have been moving in droves to WA and CA, for milder winters. Apparently global climate change has been making the winters harsher on that side of the continent, while making them milder in the west. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:30 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,353,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The winters have been so bad the last two years that NE-erners have been moving in droves to WA and CA, for milder winters. Apparently global climate change has been making the winters harsher on that side of the continent, while making them milder in the west. Go figure.
In the Boston area we got a relatively mild winter this year with below average snow. Last year was pretty bad with over 100 inches of snow but that is abnormal. Personally I love the snow, others might have different opinions though.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
What about Cleveland? Cleveland is a gem and has the best orchestra by far!

Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 AM

43 posts, read 19,463 times
Philadelphia area definitely.

Philadelphia and Boston are very similar in many ways.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:59 PM

972 posts, read 737,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT050 View Post
Philadelphia area definitely.

Philadelphia and Boston are very similar in many ways.
How so? I've never been to philly, could you explain a little? I'm really interested in Philly.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
How so? I've never been to philly could you explain a little?
The cities are about the same size. They are also both old with lots of history. Weather true or not they both tend to have a reputation for having rude people and obnoxious sports fans. I believe its because people from Boston/Philly tend to be more up front and honest about things. They both have a strong higher education industry, with Boston having more schools. They are both in the northeast with sort of an inferiority complex when compared to New York City.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:09 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover1998 View Post
So I LOVE Seattle... Well most of it...I am thinking about moving for a few reasons 1. I have lived in Seattle my whole life so a change might be good but there are a few reasons why I REALLY want to get out of this area so using the things I love/hate about the Seattle area could you guys help me find somewhere to move to. BTW I just graduated high school and I will be going to college where ever you guys help me decide to move to. I will be going to school to get an MBA. Thanks! So let's get started.

In no specific order.

1. My new city needs to have business opportunities, for me to either get hired in finance, or so I could POSSIBLY start my business, with relative ease.

2. I love Seattles geography, the mountains, the hilly areas, the water everywhere, the islands so it would be nice if my new area had some stunning geography.

3. I want to go somewhere around the same size, preferably bigger, but no smaller than Seattle. I want my new area to have a big urban core, but be a big metro area in terms of area. I like to drive randomly on the freeway, so lots of freeways and suburbs to explore. I get bored always going to the same places so I like go to a different Costco or mall. But I want a nice urban core because I like going into the city for the atmosphere. But I don't like the suburbs to be complete suburbs. Like in the Seattle area the suburbs city centers are somewhat dense and mini city like so I like that feel. I guess in simple terms I want a big metro area to go explore, so it needs to be big, but not boring. I hope this makes sense.

4. In Seattle one of things I cannot stand is like the constant dislike for the "western values" like I'm not sure if it's a liberal thing or what. So like a few days ago the UW put an add out telling cheer leaders how to dress, everyone was freaking out because it was a white woman on it, with make up. I cannot stand that. I don't like how this area feels to me to be the FAR left. I guess I want to be somewhere where people are people. I don't want far right people either, I just want normal moderate people that like western values and aren't against capitalism etc. I'm not into politics so I don't care if it's a democract or republican area, just be moderate either or.

5. I know this will be controversial put please don't argue with me it's just what I want in a city because of my beliefs I have from my experices. I want my metro to be mainly white. I went to a very diverse school and I have had really bad experiences with it because my race. A long time ago I use to live in a pretty much all white town and it felt so much more peaceful to me, and the sense of community was stronger. I just enjoyed that atmosphere better. I also don't want to constantly hear the constant need for diversity with everyone I talk to/everywhere I go. BTW I am NOT racist I've just had some really bad experiences with "diversity".

6. It would be nice if I was like a few hours away from other big metro area!

So is there a city that fits me better than Seattle? Or should I stay here? Thanks in advance for you replies! It's really appreciated!

I'm feeling drawn to New England/Mid-Atlantic, Minneapolis, Portland or maybe just staying here. I have never been to any of those places before except Portland, but it feels too small to me.
Minneapolis would probably be your best bet. If you don't mind being landlocked there is Denver. That's really white.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:02 PM

679 posts, read 463,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
How so? I've never been to philly, could you explain a little? I'm really interested in Philly.
Philly is like Boston on steroids lol

Old 05-03-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Philly lies across a river from Camden NJ. Boston lies across a river from Cambridge MA. I think that shows which city is better.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 PM

15 posts, read 10,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Lol what do you mean by that? Since I've never been to either or, it's hard for me to get what you mean. Sorry!

So far, I thinking of moving to Boston, Philly or Minneapolis. Based on my what I said I wanted, do you guys think those are all good places? I am not feeling to interesting in Denver, or Clevland. Is there any other places you guys think I should add to my possible moving to list? Thanks again for your guyses help, I REALLY appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or