Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:06 PM

43 posts, read 29,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Philly lies across a river from Camden NJ. Boston lies across a river from Cambridge MA. I think that shows which city is better.
Boston also had a bombing attack downtown. What's your point? Safety is a concern everywhere you go.

Philadelphia has better climate, food and nightlife, sorry.

Anyway, Cambridge, MA functions for Boston the same way University City functions for Philadelphia. The educational focal point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
How so? I've never been to philly, could you explain a little? I'm really interested in Philly.

They're the two leading cities in the US for history, especially colonial era. Philadelphia's footprint is bigger and it retained more of it's original architecture and neighborhoods but both are very strong.

They are both also very diverse, both primarily Irish and Italian, working class but also very white collar and wealthy. Both have top ranked colleges and universities (Harvard, MIT, UPenn), both have top medical research, both live and die by their sports teams (Philly a little meaner), both have tons of museums and culture, both have great scenery around it's metro (Boston is a coastal strength, Philly is surrounded by rolling hills and lush green), both have local cuisines, both have distinct accents, etc.

Boston is a little cooler summers and harsher winters, Philadelphia has milder winters, hotter summers, Boston is ridiculously expensive, and Philadelphia has both some of the highest wealth concentration and worst poverty. Philly is grittier in appearance, Boston is cleaner but more sterile.

Can't go wrong with either one.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:12 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,210,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover1998 View Post
Lol what do you mean by that? Since I've never been to either or, it's hard for me to get what you mean. Sorry!

So far, I thinking of moving to Boston, Philly or Minneapolis. Based on my what I said I wanted, do you guys think those are all good places? I am not feeling to interesting in Denver, or Clevland. Is there any other places you guys think I should add to my possible moving to list? Thanks again for your guyses help, I REALLY appreciate it!
Boston metro area has 4,774,321 people. Philly has 6,069,875 people. Seattle has 3,733,580 people. Philly is slightly larger but I wouldn't classify it as Boston on Steroids. They seem like pretty evenly matched cities in my opinion. Philly is closer to NYC and DC which gives it an advantage in that aspect. The city center in Boston is cleaner and more expensive than the city center in Philly. Visit both and see which one you like the best.

I could get into an argument with KT050 about how Boston is better than Philly. However we are both biased so I would just visit both of them and see for yourself which city you prefer.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Boston metro area has 4,774,321 people. Philly has 6,069,875 people. Seattle has 3,733,580 people. Philly is slightly larger but I wouldn't classify it as Boston on Steroids. They seem like pretty evenly matched cities in my opinion. Philly is closer to NYC and DC which gives it an advantage in that aspect. The city center in Boston is cleaner and more expensive than the city center in Philly. Visit both and see which one you like the best.

I could get into an argument with KT050 about how Boston is better than Philly. However we are both biased so I would just visit both of them and see for yourself which city you prefer.

Philadelphia is more down to earth and loose. Boston is more uptight and exclusive.

Among their many similarities, that is one big difference.

I tend to experience people liking Boston more initially, but less the more time they spend there, whereas people dislike Philly initially, but love it the more time they spend there. Not always, but it lends more to judging a book by its cover.

There is more to a city than it's appearance.

Boston is also ~50 square miles and Philly is ~130. Major difference.

They both have some of the most gorgeous neighborhoods in the country, but Philly has rougher areas than Boston.

Philadelphia has much better nightlife and bar scene, much livelier, much better food scene and the climate is also better.

Philadelphia also has the most public gardens and arboretums in the country in it's metro. The Philly suburbs are some of the best.

Contrary to that, Boston has some of the best coastal suburbs. Two different types of metros.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 PM

977 posts, read 1,004,032 times
Are they both mainly white metros or are they super diverse cities/metros? Now that the OP is moving I think I need to move to Boston or Philly too! You guys got me wanting to move now!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Are they both mainly white metros or are they super diverse cities/metros? Now that the OP is moving I think I need to move to Boston or Philly too! You guys got me wanting to move now!

Both much more diverse than Seattle in the city, but metros are primarily white like a lot of others.

Bonus video! Philadelphia usually dukes it out with Chicago as second most vibrant downtown in the US after NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ObdkAKtsg

Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,210,027 times
Quote:
Boston is whiter than Philly but not by a huge margin. Boston metro area is 74.4% white. In comparison Seattle metro area is 67.6% white and the Philly metro area is 63.8% white.

And just saying I disagree with KT050 about Philly having a better food scene. The North End is the best little Italy in the country imo. Also Clam Chowder is the best soup ever made. The seafood and Lobster is also better in Boston. The only thing Philly has over Boston are cheesesteaks.

And just to counter KT050 here is a video of boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujr0tsKJxUw

Last edited by tysmith95; 05-03-2016 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 PM

No other major cities can match these two with colonial history, which is something obviously absent from Seattle.

Here is a thread with some nice links and photos of both cities.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...re-boston.html

Society Hill, Philadelphia.

Beacon Hill, Boston.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,854,570 times
Boston has a fantastic food scene. I loved living in the burbs of Boston. The proximity to the ocean and mountains was a huge plus.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Boston has a fantastic food scene. I loved living in the burbs of Boston. The proximity to the ocean and mountains was a huge plus.

Boston isn't that close to the mountains any more than NYC or Philly is to theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.