U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:37 AM

15 posts, read 10,800 times

Advertisements

So I LOVE Seattle... Well most of it...I am thinking about moving for a few reasons 1. I have lived in Seattle my whole life so a change might be good but there are a few reasons why I REALLY want to get out of this area so using the things I love/hate about the Seattle area could you guys help me find somewhere to move to. BTW I just graduated high school and I will be going to college where ever you guys help me decide to move to. I will be going to school to get an MBA. Thanks! So let's get started.

In no specific order.

1. My new city needs to have business opportunities, for me to either get hired in finance, or so I could POSSIBLY start my business, with relative ease.

2. I love Seattles geography, the mountains, the hilly areas, the water everywhere, the islands so it would be nice if my new area had some stunning geography.

3. I want to go somewhere around the same size, preferably bigger, but no smaller than Seattle. I want my new area to have a big urban core, but be a big metro area in terms of area. I like to drive randomly on the freeway, so lots of freeways and suburbs to explore. I get bored always going to the same places so I like go to a different Costco or mall. But I want a nice urban core because I like going into the city for the atmosphere. But I don't like the suburbs to be complete suburbs. Like in the Seattle area the suburbs city centers are somewhat dense and mini city like so I like that feel. I guess in simple terms I want a big metro area to go explore, so it needs to be big, but not boring. I hope this makes sense.

4. In Seattle one of things I cannot stand is like the constant dislike for the "western values" like I'm not sure if it's a liberal thing or what. So like a few days ago the UW put an add out telling cheer leaders how to dress, everyone was freaking out because it was a white woman on it, with make up. I cannot stand that. I don't like how this area feels to me to be the FAR left. I guess I want to be somewhere where people are people. I don't want far right people either, I just want normal moderate people that like western values and aren't against capitalism etc. I'm not into politics so I don't care if it's a democract or republican area, just be moderate either or.

5. I know this will be controversial put please don't argue with me it's just what I want in a city because of my beliefs I have from my experices. I want my metro to be mainly white. I went to a very diverse school and I have had really bad experiences with it because my race. A long time ago I use to live in a pretty much all white town and it felt so much more peaceful to me, and the sense of community was stronger. I just enjoyed that atmosphere better. I also don't want to constantly hear the constant need for diversity with everyone I talk to/everywhere I go. BTW I am NOT racist I've just had some really bad experiences with "diversity".

6. It would be nice if I was like a few hours away from other big metro area!

So is there a city that fits me better than Seattle? Or should I stay here? Thanks in advance for you replies! It's really appreciated!

I'm feeling drawn to New England/Mid-Atlantic, Minneapolis, Portland or maybe just staying here. I have never been to any of those places before except Portalnd, but it feels too small to me.

Last edited by CityLover1998; 05-02-2016 at 02:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,356,883 times
Boston is a good option. It's a pretty liberal city but the suburbs are more moderate and it's a less in your face left wing than parts of the west. The suburbs are alot different than the ones in Seattle so you would have to visit to see if you like it. It's also a pretty white area with alot of self segregation. It also has sort of a reputation for subtle racism so if you're looking for less diverse places its a good option. Also its only 4 hours from NYC without traffic and also a quick drive to smaller cities like Portland, Providence, Hartford, etc.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 AM

185 posts, read 128,267 times
Upstate New York . 2-3 hours from New York City and Boston . Great four season climate with forests , mountains hills and cliffs in every direction

Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM

525 posts, read 448,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Upstate New York . 2-3 hours from New York City and Boston . Great four season climate with forests , mountains hills and cliffs in every direction
I would agree with this EXCEPT for a large metro area. Closest thing you will find to a large metro area is Buffalo which is 1.1 Million. Only things Buffalo and Seattle have in common are 2 sports teams each, both on water, and both on I-90

Old 05-02-2016, 01:38 PM

185 posts, read 128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I would agree with this EXCEPT for a large metro area. Closest thing you will find to a large metro area is Buffalo which is 1.1 Million. Only things Buffalo and Seattle have in common are 2 sports teams each, both on water, and both on I-90

Buffalo is 5 hours away from the area I suggested , nyc is 3 hours and Boston is 3 .

The op could move into the Catskills and Poughkeepsie area gets you about an hour and half to New York City and still has forest , mountains , lakes and rivers

Old 05-02-2016, 01:59 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,356,883 times
Quote:
Buffalo is 5 hours away from the area I suggested , nyc is 3 hours and Boston is 3 .

The op could move into the Catskills and Poughkeepsie area gets you about an hour and half to New York City and still has forest , mountains , lakes and rivers
The OP asked for a Metro the same size or larger than Seattle. That leaves him with Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC in the northeast. I would argue that Boston meets the rest of his criteria the best. The New England coastline is great and the white mountains are less than a two hour drive from the city. The lakes region of New Hampshire and Maine are also beautiful and Cape Cod has some of the best beaches on the east coast. Also NYC is within a four hour drive.

You mention geography as being important. That disqualifies most of the Midwest imo. Philly would be another good choice you've got the Poconos and the Jersey Shore nearby. Denver would be a great option though it is sort of far from any other metro area and lacks the ocean. San Francisco seems like a great bet too but the "western values" are even worse there. L.A. would have most of what you are looking for but i'm not sure how the culture is out there.

Last edited by tysmith95; 05-02-2016 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 02:43 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,531,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Boston is a good option. It's a pretty liberal city but the suburbs are more moderate and it's a less in your face left wing than parts of the west. The suburbs are alot different than the ones in Seattle so you would have to visit to see if you like it. It's also a pretty white area with alot of self segregation. It also has sort of a reputation for subtle racism so if you're looking for less diverse places its a good option. Also its only 4 hours from NYC without traffic and also a quick drive to smaller cities like Portland, Providence, Hartford, etc.
I second tysmith95's point. My wife was raised in the Boston area and she is conservative. Her family is still there and they are conservative. We visit often. Though Boston is a heavily liberal area, they do seem to respect other's views, even if they're conservative and not their own. I liked that a lot. We've never felt uncomfortable there. There is only one place that I've personally experienced outright hostility towards non-liberal views and it was a major metro out west (not SEA. I'll just leave it at that, lol). Most areas, you can find your niche. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:50 PM

78,721 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Quote:
Right. Ithaca--think Cornell U, OP. But be aware that even people who have been raised in the NE freeze in Ithaca's winters. Otherwise, people seem to enjoy Cornell.
Oh, but Ithaca's smaller than Seattle. You'll have to prioritize your wish list, and decide what you can live without in order to satisfy your highest priorities.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:11 PM

15 posts, read 10,800 times
Okay, thanks you guys so much for ALL your GREAT answers! So far I think I'm leaning towards like maybe somewhere between Boston and Providence. I would be close to Boston and Providence, the ocean and New York City for weekend trips, but I think I just need to sometime soon take a trip threw out that area. I'm thinking coastal New England so is the winters really bad still on the coast? Is there anywhere outside of the New England area you guys think I would possibly like? Thanks again for all your help!

Old 05-02-2016, 05:38 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,531,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover1998 View Post
Okay, thanks you guys so much for ALL your GREAT answers! So far I think I'm leaning towards like maybe somewhere between Boston and Providence. I would be close to Boston and Providence, the ocean and New York City for weekend trips, but I think I just need to sometime soon take a trip threw out that area. I'm thinking coastal New England so is the winters really bad still on the coast? Is there anywhere outside of the New England area you guys think I would possibly like? Thanks again for all your help!
We have a sister-in-law about 25 miles inland near Boston and they get about 45"of snow per year. My wife's parents are on the Buzzard's Bay side of Cap Cod and they get about 30". There's a pretty big difference between inland and coastal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or