U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 PM

3,266 posts, read 3,248,048 times

Advertisements

My reasons are extremely varied but I could never live in places as divergently different as NYC, LA, SF, Dallas, Houston, S.A., Fresno, Phoenix, Las Vegas, anywhere in Fl., N.O./Louisiana, St. Louis, Colorado Springs, anywhere in The Carolinas, Tn., Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arkansas, the Dakotas, Ks., Indiana, almost all of Alabama & most of Georgia, as well as any number of smaller-sized dead rust belt cities. That pretty much covers it for me personally.
Granted, some are great places to visit but living there full time & year round? No way...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 02:12 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,529,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Two places I've visited but could never see myself living in, given my big-city Northeastern biases:

Charleston SC. Great food and lovely architecture. A nice place to visit. But it's a racial backwater as far as I could tell -- and this was before last year's slaughter in the church. They had a supposedly moderate mayor, but moderate in SC is spelled B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D. It's a city way hung up on it's unhealthy past, which I saw portrayed either favorably or inaccurately or both. The fact that the Civil War started near here tells me all I want to know.

Dallas Granted I haven't been there in years, and things may have changed. But all I saw was endless driving between soulless corporate towers in incessant muggy heat. And the people were slow, slow, SLOW! Took forever to get anything done, even at a drug store checkout counter. Nobody was ever in a hurry to do anything. Except root for the Cowboys. of course. I'll pass.
You're assessment of Charleston is, as you put it, based on a personal NE bias. Nearly all bias' aren't based on reality, and this one's a prime example. I have spent lots of time in Charleston over my 50 years of life and know a little bit, just a tad, about the area and the people........MANY areas outside of the South are much more of a racial backwash than Charleston is, trust me. When Dylann Roof killed those church-goers, the KKK, Black Panthers, and Al Sharpton (who is from NYC, mind you) proclaimed they were coming to the area to protest. Did everyone riot, fight, loot, and divide like they did in cities outside of the South when similar tragedies happened? Nope! The white community told the KKK to stay away; and they did. The black community told the Black Panthers and Al to stay away; and they did. We all from multiple communities, cities, and races came together and supported one another. Sounds a little different than what you described.......The Civil War is not praised is Charleston; it's looked at as an historical event that shouldn't be repeated. Different races get along well and openly mingle. Seeing that you got everything so "B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D-S", I now see Charleston as being even more harmonious than most "other places" lol .............."....endless driving between soulless corporate towers in incessant muggy heat". That's also NYC in July, lol........I would much rather have a check-out person "take forever" (very open-ended observation, which I'd guess didn't take long at all) than someone practically shoving me out the door. If that's the worse complaint you have of Dallas, life is good

Old 05-02-2016, 02:15 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,271,845 times
Chicago!!!!! I wish I could but it's just so damn cold and for too long!!!!!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Isn't Raleigh summers just has oppressive and humid as Florida ? It's land locked
While Raleigh can get a bit hot and humid in the summer, it's not as hot and humid as FL. With Raleigh being about 2 hours from the ocean, I wouldn't consider them land-locked.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:25 PM

Washington, DC metro - I absolutely love the area in most ways. But the very thing that would be a total deal-breaker for me moving to any area would be cost of living. DC is just too darn expensive.

Denver, CO metro - Denver is awesome as well in most ways. But too expensive and I wouldn't want to live so far away from the nearest beach/ocean (around 1,000 miles away).

There are probably other places, but these two came to mind. Good thread!

Old 05-02-2016, 03:20 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,097 times
You can tell that winter is over because everybody is complaining about how hot the south is rather than how cold the north is.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:13 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,566,925 times
NYC - lived there for 13 years... COL is too high, too much of a Rat Race, has become too homogeneous, and the infrastructure is 3rd world and crumbling faster under the weight of 20 million Metro.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:20 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,871,070 times
LA - great weather, but too crowded, too much traffic, and too much pollution.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:49 PM

161 posts, read 167,220 times
Providence RI. Love that city but economy and schools are crap

Old 05-02-2016, 06:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 909,052 times
Pretty sure the thread is called "Favorite cities that are unliveable". Some posters are just complaining about cities they don't like.

I'd choose:
- SF - amazing city, always love visiting, but just way too expensive
- Austin - if they could improve the infrastructure to get the traffic to a manageable level, this would be one of my next moves
- Atlanta - same as Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.