U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 05:47 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
What are yours ?
Charleston SC. Beautiful city, but totally screwed up in terms of livability. Housing is out of line with incomes, and traffic is a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Charleston SC. Great food and lovely architecture. A nice place to visit. But it's a racial backwater as far as I could tell -- and this was before last year's slaughter in the church. They had a supposedly moderate mayor, but moderate in SC is spelled B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D. It's a city way hung up on it's unhealthy past, which I saw portrayed either favorably or inaccurately or both. The fact that the Civil War started near here tells me all I want to know.
This is absurd. Charleston is not a racial backwater. And the Civil War was over 150 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 07:25 AM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
So, you're arguing that the place where one of the most heinous racially-based hate crimes occurred does not have a race issue simply because people didn't riot?
The argument you're making is the same one that people repeatedly make against where you live (and where I'm from), judging an entire metropolitan area based on the actions of an overtly racist few. It's poor form.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

Charleston SC. Great food and lovely architecture. A nice place to visit. But it's a racial backwater as far as I could tell -- and this was before last year's slaughter in the church. They had a supposedly moderate mayor, but moderate in SC is spelled B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D. It's a city way hung up on it's unhealthy past, which I saw portrayed either favorably or inaccurately or both. The fact that the Civil War started near here tells me all I want to know.
THe killer was from Columbia, not Charleston. And he had mental illness.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:10 AM

989 posts, read 595,199 times
New Orleans - I'd go every year for a weekend and soak up the scene, but I'd never want to live down there.

Las Vegas - I used to really enjoy Vegas, less so now, but a city defined by phony sites and pilfering hard earned money is not where I'd want to live

Honolulu - what a beautiful, culturally-amazing place. But due to the ridiculous prices, tight quarters and heavy tourism, I don't think I could live there.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:16 AM

3,792 posts, read 6,524,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
THe killer was from Columbia, not Charleston. And he had mental illness.
Mental illness ? Ha lol

Old 05-08-2016, 09:39 AM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
I've been living in the DC area for decades and I don't think it's unlivable at all.

It's expensive but not nearly as expensive as the NYC and SF bay areas.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:54 PM

992 posts, read 939,280 times
LA is unlivable for me because I refuse to spend my life in traffic.

San Francisco and New York because of their prices, but maybe some day....

And Chicago because of its horrific winters lol

Old 05-09-2016, 05:14 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,849 times
new orleans - amazing food, architecture,music but seems to be very poorly run and way too many drinking opportunities. i would be in AA soon

manhattan- great place to visit, amazing restaurants and nightlife and history. I hate the weather there but I would have loved to have lived there in a more interesting age like the 1920s or 1950s-1960s with all the all night cafeterias and greenwich village clubs and the beats, even the 1970s with punk, all the discos, downtown art scene, lamama, all the artists still able to afford to live in manhattan. 1970s was supposedly a time of the citys decline, now manhattan is rich, super expensive and its bland

las vegas-one of the funnest cities in america but I think it would get old really fast, not much of an intellectual population i would imagine. another city where I end up an alcoholic and probably broke

savannah-gorgeous architecture, great weather near the beaches, but way too much drinking and bars in a small radius, I would be dead

Last edited by floridanative10; 05-09-2016 at 05:26 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 10:27 PM

1,544 posts, read 662,761 times
Never had the experience of traveling the country (yet), but...

The city of Norwalk, CA - nice, quiet, and bleh. In fact, that city is too suburban.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:24 PM

361 posts, read 221,830 times
Guys go on! very interesting theme! I`ve noticed you considering basically with the point of affortable/non affortable. What about weather/jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.