U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 03:24 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,426,099 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles--Amazing weather, tons of things to do, beautiful scenery...but the population, traffic, smog, and cost of living exceeded my personal threshold about forty years ago. It's also much too far from family and friends.

Charleston, SC--Gorgeous historic district and architecture but population growth exceeded the infrastructure a while ago so traffic is bad, not great job prospects, too hot and humid much of the year, and too many bugs (no-see-ums...yuck!!!)

Chicago--Amazing, clean, cosmopolitan city with tons of things to do and a little more affordable than LA, but still seems like you need more than an average income to live there comfortably, traffic is awful, and it has an especially bad reputation for political corruption.

Atlanta--lovely city, lovely suburbs, nice climate, but some of the worst traffic I have ever seen, and not pedestrian friendly.

Last edited by canudigit; 05-10-2016 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 03:56 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,048,081 times
I love New Orleans, and living less than 2 hours away, have ample opportunity to visit, and do so quite often. However, there is no way in Hades you could get me to live there. It is not a cheap area ( I don't just mean housing), crime is rampant, and I just have something against the state of Louisiana....

Chicago would also fall into that category for me. I love Chicago, to the point my wife and I honeymooned there in February, and love to visit, but between the winters and the crowds, I don't think I could ever live there.

I may also throw St. Louis in the mix, as well as my former city (which I could never live in again as much as I love and appreciate it) Memphis.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:36 AM

361 posts, read 221,934 times
Why nobody is talking about San Diego, Seattle? They`r quite affortable?

Old 05-11-2016, 04:16 AM

San Diego and Seattle are two of the most expensive cities to live in in the entire U.S. and are out of reach for many working class Americans. I almost mentioned San Diego in my post but decided that everyone already knows that it is ridiculously expensive and unattainable for many, so I skipped it.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:44 AM

286 posts, read 215,937 times
yes I agree.

san diego, los angeles the bay area if money was not an option that's where I would spend the rest of my life,

Old 05-11-2016, 06:29 AM

We could move to San Diego or LA if we wanted to live in an outdated, fixer upper, cracker box of a house and work until we're 75.

We live in a lovely small town in Michigan in a newer home with upgrades (granite, stainless, detailed woodwork, three car garage) that cost $250,000 six years ago. Our same exact house in a nice area of either San Deigo or LA would cost at least 1.5 million, which I think is ridiculous while also appreciating why it is so expensive to live there. The weather is considered about as close to perfect as it gets in the U.S. for a lot of people, the beaches are spectacular, and then, of course, there is the whole Hollywood/movie industry, Beverly Hills, celebrity watching, etc., if that is your thing.

There's a reason why a lot of Americans refer to LA/SoCal as "La La Land".

Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,139,658 times
Monterey, CA is my dream locale. Love the climate, the food, the ocean front, Pebble Beach, the aquarium. Access to SF area.

Issue is that we can't afford $1000/sf for a home there. Maybe if I win the lotto.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:04 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,521,827 times
lol what kind of thread is this.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:43 AM

361 posts, read 221,934 times
Orange county is the same expencive as SD?

Old 05-12-2016, 05:24 AM

All of coastal southern California is outrageously expensive in comparison to most of the country, including Orange County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.