U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:18 AM

23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately for me, virtually anywhere in the South. Few well-paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 03:29 PM

3,670 posts, read 1,550,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Unfortunately for me, virtually anywhere in the South. Few well-paying jobs.
But there's more buying power in the South compared to the northeast and west coast (COL/pay factor). Generally, you can afford more for less money.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:48 PM

3,670 posts, read 1,550,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
So, you're arguing that the place where one of the most heinous racially-based hate crimes occurred does not have a race issue simply because people didn't riot?
As a general indicator, yes! By your logic, all cities would be racial cesspools and Charleston would be one of the least of these. In Charleston, ONE racist, mentally disturbed kid from outside the area committed that crime. Thousands upon thousands came together. Where else have you seen that? NYC perhaps? But look at what YOU'RE focusing on; the ONE as oppose to the THOUSANDS. The exception as oppose to the rule. You're aimlessly hunting for phantoms, dude. Stirring the racial pot to create a problem. Your original self-admitted "NE bias" sort of gave that away, LOL. NYC has more than its share of racial (white AND black) issues to keep you busy. Yet, at the same time, I know that in NYC and most other areas around the U.S., people of other races generally get along just fine. But, nice try

Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 PM

29,957 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Two places I've visited but could never see myself living in, given my big-city Northeastern biases:

Charleston SC. Great food and lovely architecture. A nice place to visit. But it's a racial backwater as far as I could tell -- and this was before last year's slaughter in the church. They had a supposedly moderate mayor, but moderate in SC is spelled B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D. It's a city way hung up on it's unhealthy past, which I saw portrayed either favorably or inaccurately or both. The fact that the Civil War started near here tells me all I want to know.
What made you think Charleston is a "racial backwater"? I'm not saying it has the best race relations in the world, but I don't think the area would elect a Black U.S. senator if it were a "backwater." And Dylan Roof isn't even from Charleston so that should have nothing to do with it. And to say that Joe Riley is "backwards" misses the mark in a BIG way. He was one of the nation's longest-serving mayors and is very highly regarded among his peers and in planning circles. It also seems that you confuse historic preservation with "being hung up on its unhealthy past." History is what it is; demolishing historic structures simply because the past isn't always pretty would be pretty myopic. But it never ceases to amaze me how some Northerners look down on the South because of slavery when the North depended on that same slave labor to sustain its economy and had absolutely no problem with the institution as long as it was an economic asset.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:38 PM

29,957 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
As a general indicator, yes! By your logic, all cities would be racial cesspools and Charleston would be one of the least of these. In Charleston, ONE racist, mentally disturbed kid from outside the area committed that crime. Thousands upon thousands came together. Where else have you seen that? NYC perhaps? But look at what YOU'RE focusing on; the ONE as oppose to the THOUSANDS. The exception as oppose to the rule. You're aimlessly hunting for phantoms, dude. Stirring the racial pot to create a problem. Your original self-admitted "NE bias" sort of gave that away, LOL. NYC has more than its share of racial (white AND black) issues to keep you busy. Yet, at the same time, I know that in NYC and most other areas around the U.S., people of other races generally get along just fine. But, nice try
I understand the point you're making, but the recent riots that have occurred in the past year or two had to do with police killings, not killings by racist private citizens. The Walter Scott incident is a much more appropriate example to use; when the evidence came to light, the local police department acted VERY swiftly and did the right thing, which substantially reduced the chances of any civil unrest occurring.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,656,677 times
New Orleans. Loved the city, loved the cuisine especially, but it's heat and humidity keep me away. That and COL seems to be high.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:49 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
San Diego and Seattle are two of the most expensive cities to live in in the entire U.S. and are out of reach for many working class Americans. I almost mentioned San Diego in my post but decided that everyone already knows that it is ridiculously expensive and unattainable for many, so I skipped it.
When I had to move from Portland OR because it was becoming too expensive Seattle would have been my first choice if it weren't even more expensive. I had never been to San Diego but had heard it was really nice. I didn't bother because I know how much that area of California can be.

To me, unlivable equals unaffordable. So Those two cities while at the top of my list for consideration, were no-goes because of the high COL.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,792,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What made you think Charleston is a "racial backwater"? I'm not saying it has the best race relations in the world, but I don't think the area would elect a Black U.S. senator if it were a "backwater." And Dylan Roof isn't even from Charleston so that should have nothing to do with it. And to say that Joe Riley is "backwards" misses the mark in a BIG way. He was one of the nation's longest-serving mayors and is very highly regarded among his peers and in planning circles. It also seems that you confuse historic preservation with "being hung up on its unhealthy past." History is what it is; demolishing historic structures simply because the past isn't always pretty would be pretty myopic. But it never ceases to amaze me how some Northerners look down on the South because of slavery when the North depended on that same slave labor to sustain its economy and had absolutely no problem with the institution as long as it was an economic asset.
Most of the south, or this country is a "racial backwater." Much of the world is. Electing a black person doesn't mean anything.

And yes I would call keeping statues of people up, honoring them, who much of the country despises, is certainly hung up on it's past. Defending a plantation from people who would want to tear it down would be historical preservation. But a building and a statue are completely different scenarios.

Also, many people in the south look at it the same way. Like me.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,747,567 times
Any large city. I may enjoy visiting them but the number of people would drive me batty fast.

Even smaller cities around 20/30,000 residents are too much for me to want to live in.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:11 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,038,974 times
Minneapolis/ST
I absolutely adore this city but I'm a cold weather wimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.