Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:16 AM

185 posts, read 173,972 times

Advertisements

Everyone has thag city they enjoy going to , maybe it was a business trip , maybe you have family there or took a vacation and loved the area , but for whatever reasons you say to yourself I don't think I could ever live there

For me : Florida , yea it's nice with palm trees , beaches relatively low cost of living but from may-September it's a sauna sticky cesspool with rain and mesquites and bad traffic .

Dallas : my company is headquartered there I go there often for work , I go often for Dallas cowboy games and I love the skyline , the food , the people the different vibe of life down there but it's too much of a slab of concrete in the middle of no where . I enjoy mountains and forests .

Las Vegas : my favorite place in the world , the resorts , pools , food nightlife and entertainment the dry heat leaves me speechless I never want to leave. However I don't think I could live in such a tourist spot like Vegas , when on vacation your living the high life . It's a whole different story when your in bed at 8-9pm to get up for a 4am shift and you know people just blocks away are partying into the early morning having the time of their life . Too much temptation

What are yours ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:26 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I'd mainly consider unlivable to be based upon housing costs. For example, I've been out in San Francisco, and if I inherited a house from some little-known deceased uncle, and had a job lined up, I'd love to move there with my family (the city only, not the bay area as a whole). But I don't want to uproot my entire life just to be impoverished.

I feel roughly the same about NYC these days. I have no issue living in dense housing, and I don't even think I'd feel bad going back to renting, but I don't think we could afford a three-bedroom apartment in a nice area of the city even given we'd be making higher wages there.

On the other hand, there are places I'd probably consider unlivable based upon the "no jobs" factor. For example, I'd love to live in the downtown area in Portland, Maine, but there really aren't that many jobs at all around there (certainly not in my field) so it isn't ever going to happen.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
-I don't think New Orleans is "unlivable" but I think it would be more challenging for me to live there than other cities of a similar size. The main challenges include finding employment in my field, acquiring housing and adjusting to a high crime environment. That being said NOLA is my favorite U.S. city hands down and if I had the opportunity I would love to live there one day.

-D.C. far from being "unlivable", in fact it's public transit (despite the metro's recent fiasco), green space, walkability and abundance of free events making it very appealing. However, the cost of living is very prohibitive from a recent college graduate's perspective so I could either live in squalor in the District or live like a King in Ohio for the same price.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Everyone has thag city they enjoy going to , maybe it was a business trip , maybe you have family there or took a vacation and loved the area , but for whatever reasons you say to yourself I don't think I could ever live there

For me : Florida , yea it's nice with palm trees , beaches relatively low cost of living but from may-September it's a sauna sticky cesspool with rain and mesquites and bad traffic .

Dallas : my company is headquartered there I go there often for work , I go often for Dallas cowboy games and I love the skyline , the food , the people the different vibe of life down there but it's too much of a slab of concrete in the middle of no where . I enjoy mountains and forests .

Las Vegas : my favorite place in the world , the resorts , pools , food nightlife and entertainment the dry heat leaves me speechless I never want to leave. However I don't think I could live in such a tourist spot like Vegas , when on vacation your living the high life . It's a whole different story when your in bed at 8-9pm to get up for a 4am shift and you know people just blocks away are partying into the early morning having the time of their life . Too much temptation

What are yours ?
Mesquite BBQ is good.. best to have the sauna session first and then the mesquite..

FL is far from unlivable (even in the summer) with 20 mil people..

Unlivable for me would be large, landlocked cities, away from bodies of water or the ocean.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
DC is unliveable for my family based on cost of living...it's even less affordable for families than NYC. There are a number of boring, safe, subway accessible neighborhoods in Queens and the Bronx (yes, there are safe neighborhoods in the BX), where a family can purchase a 3br condo in the half million dollar range. DC has very few 3br condos, and areas with houses in that price range won't have low crime, walkability, or subway access.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 AM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Las Vegas + Phoenix - the heat in the summer is unbearable.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
More of a small town rather than a city, but Lake Placid, NY is one of my favorite places in the whole country. Not really livable for me because there are really no jobs in mine or my wife's career field.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Two places I've visited but could never see myself living in, given my big-city Northeastern biases:

Charleston SC. Great food and lovely architecture. A nice place to visit. But it's a racial backwater as far as I could tell -- and this was before last year's slaughter in the church. They had a supposedly moderate mayor, but moderate in SC is spelled B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D. It's a city way hung up on it's unhealthy past, which I saw portrayed either favorably or inaccurately or both. The fact that the Civil War started near here tells me all I want to know.

Dallas Granted I haven't been there in years, and things may have changed. But all I saw was endless driving between soulless corporate towers in incessant muggy heat. And the people were slow, slow, SLOW! Took forever to get anything done, even at a drug store checkout counter. Nobody was ever in a hurry to do anything. Except root for the Cowboys. of course. I'll pass.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
New York City- The rats, the bitter winters, your car becomes a nuisance, way too expensive etc.

ANYWHERE in Florida- Too many grumpy retirees, so hot year round, materialistic/plastic lifestyles

Washington DC- expensive, a bit pretensious, traffic/road rage, tourist hell during cherry blossom festival, roads that suddenly become highways/freeways/parkways/interstates

Asheville NC- Asheville is everything I want in a vacation but I would get bored after a week or two

Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 PM

185 posts, read 173,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
New York City- The rats, the bitter winters, your car becomes a nuisance, way too expensive etc.

ANYWHERE in Florida- Too many grumpy retirees, so hot year round, materialistic/plastic lifestyles

Washington DC- expensive, a bit pretensious, traffic/road rage, tourist hell during cherry blossom festival, roads that suddenly become highways/freeways/parkways/interstates

Asheville NC- Asheville is everything I want in a vacation but I would get bored after a week or two
Isn't Raleigh summers just has oppressive and humid as Florida ? It's land locked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.