U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:05 PM

4,374 posts, read 2,570,482 times

Advertisements

It's not as much a matter of where to look. I've spent years doing that. It was a matter of trying to admit to myself that we needed to move because Upper Michigan is just not working. Of course we still have to wait for an available job in another location.

I really think we'll end up out west but it's nice to know there is at least one location in the eastern US that is feasible. Although I don't know how he'd feel about working on a National Forest about the size of some city parks.

It may come down to how long I can hold out for a prime location before I crack for good (because I have had meltdowns in the middle of the grocery store already). I don't want to settle for a "B" location just to get out of here because I'll just want to move again eventually and my six year old has already called three towns home.

In a world where most resources are consolidating in metropolitan areas it's tough to be tied to outdated FS locations. Even though their employees study and desire to work outdoors it's simply not feasible to raise a family in the extremely remote areas. Throw us a bone. At least put the office in a town of 15,000+. I can't believe how many offices are in towns of less than 1,000 people and miles from nowhere. I understand the trees are where they are but there are often better alternatives for office locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 PM

56,993 posts, read 81,365,580 times
Oh, by the way, both Ithaca and Geneva have a Wegmans grocery store as well. lol

Yes, Finger Lakes is smaller, but it is at least close to an area that could fit what the whole family seems to be looking for, while not being too isolated. Ithaca has around 30,000 in the city and if include the town of Ithaca, that goes up to about 48,000 or so. It actually has suburbs and is a metro area. Commutes shouldn't be an issue and are reasonable as well.

Also, your girls may like these places within a short drive: Corning Museum of Glass

The Strong | National Museum of Play

Sciencenter, Ithaca NY | Hands-on Museum and Programs

Paleontological Research Institution

Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology

Museum of International Masks and Puppets - Open Hand Theater

Roberson Museum and Science Center |

Binghamton, Syracuse and Rochester each have a zoo. Ithaca has quite a few nice state parks and a nice farmers market, as well as an organic food scene. There are historical sites nearby like the Women's Hall of Fame in Seneca Falls, as well as the Harriet Tubman and Seward homes in Auburn. There's a couple of water parks nearby(Cascades at Greek Peak Ski Resort and Roseland in Canandaigua). Syracuse hosts the NY State Fair. Plenty of wineries in the Finger Lakes as well. Auburn also has a cool Drive In movie theater. So, there is plenty within an hour and a half radius.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-04-2016 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 02:04 PM

56,993 posts, read 81,365,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This commute is about 20-30 minutes from the Finger Lakes National Forest. More information: https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...3fff3856788df1

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nort...9!2d42.6666339

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Enfi...9!2d42.6666339

After finding where the Ranger Station is exactly located, there may be another potential option in that area that could fit and that is Geneva, which is about 25 minutes away from the Ranger Station. What may make that appealing besides being a small city that is pretty diverse, has Hobart College, has youth programs that you are looking for and a solid and improving school district is that it is in the Rochester metro area. It also is a little more affordable than Ithaca in terms of home prices. So, you wouldn't be too far from a bigger city as well(45 minutes) and you may have another option in regards to that station. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gene...42.6666339!3e0
(Double check to make sure of location)

District

Recreation Youth Sports | Geneva

Geneva Generals Hockey Organization powered by GOALLINE.ca

Geneva | Uniquely Urban

Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!

Geneva Area Chamber of Commerce | and Business Improvement District

HWS Homepage

Also, do you have any other interests, as that may help to decide where to look as well?
More Geneva:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tGswej8vbw

Old 05-07-2016, 09:18 PM

571 posts, read 846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I was really trying to convince myself that I could make the best of it and just take advantage of the low cost of living but I know I'm just kidding myself. I've been miserable since we got here and spent too much time in tears. It was nice to hear other people value a better place to live as well.
You know, I'm in the EXACT mindset as you right now. My dream is to move back to the Atlanta area. My wife is 30 months away from 10 years on the job, then she'll be ready to quit.

I'm currently mapping out 30 cities (one a month) to visit, so the rest of this time is not so depressing. I've come to the realization that if you have to visit places all the time, just to make you hometown tolerable, you don't need to be there.

I've actually dreamed being in Atlanta, and woke up in tears, because I miss it so...

Glad I found this thread, and I'm not the only one.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:14 PM

103 posts, read 130,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's not as much a matter of where to look. I've spent years doing that. It was a matter of trying to admit to myself that we needed to move because Upper Michigan is just not working. Of course we still have to wait for an available job in another location.

I really think we'll end up out west but it's nice to know there is at least one location in the eastern US that is feasible. Although I don't know how he'd feel about working on a National Forest about the size of some city parks.

It may come down to how long I can hold out for a prime location before I crack for good (because I have had meltdowns in the middle of the grocery store already). I don't want to settle for a "B" location just to get out of here because I'll just want to move again eventually and my six year old has already called three towns home.

In a world where most resources are consolidating in metropolitan areas it's tough to be tied to outdated FS locations. Even though their employees study and desire to work outdoors it's simply not feasible to raise a family in the extremely remote areas. Throw us a bone. At least put the office in a town of 15,000+. I can't believe how many offices are in towns of less than 1,000 people and miles from nowhere. I understand the trees are where they are but there are often better alternatives for office locations.
Your situation is touching, and I feel like an idiot for fretting about whether to live in a suburb or downtown Chicago!

I visited White Mountain National Forest in NH last fall and loved it. Day trips to Portland or Manchester wouldn't be a problem and many who settle up there tend to be educated east coasters sick of the big cities. I'm sure there is a hockey culture with the holy grail of Montreal nearby.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:21 PM

13,227 posts, read 18,027,785 times
A forested area without extreme heat or humidity, and a positive outlook for the future...how about Coeur d'Alene, ID? I've never been there, but it has a dry climate that gets cold in the winter, and it seems to have a high quality of life, based on what I've read. The interior West seems to be a pretty libertarian place too, where people tend to mind their own business.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM

I hope you find your happiness, sirrob. You'll make it to Atlanta some day.

zizu, it's nice to have those problems. My husband almost took a job on the White a few years ago but it didn't pan out. I'd be willing to go if we could live in or near a sizeable town. It was still almost an hour north of Concord.

Craziaskowboi, I've been to Coeur d'Alene. It's gorgeous but not a place I want to live. I would do Boise though.

It turns out a job opened up in Missoula today. It may not be the best place on earth but I know we could be happy there. Missoula is big enough to offer us everything we need and small enough we can still get to the mountains easily. My husband graduated from UofM so we know the town already. It's cheaper than the Seattle or Portland areas so we could still afford activities and some travel. We have friends all over the state and Montana really does feel like home.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
You know, I'm in the EXACT mindset as you right now. My dream is to move back to the Atlanta area. My wife is 30 months away from 10 years on the job, then she'll be ready to quit.

I'm currently mapping out 30 cities (one a month) to visit, so the rest of this time is not so depressing. I've come to the realization that if you have to visit places all the time, just to make you hometown tolerable, you don't need to be there.

I've actually dreamed being in Atlanta, and woke up in tears, because I miss it so...

Glad I found this thread, and I'm not the only one.
What cities are you planning to visit? I'm originally from NW Ohio and spent a considerable amount of time in Columbus so if you're heading that way let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.