Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 05:04 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,566,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I currently live in a location I really don't like. The nearest town is a dump with very little amenities. The weather is bad 6+ months of the year but the short summers are great. We moved here for my husband's job two years ago.

Now, that said. It is dirt cheap to live here. I mean like stupid cheap. We bought a house over looking Lake Michigan on a few acres with a barn and across the street from miles and miles of Forest Service property for half of what we sold our cookie-cutter, out-of-town yet still in a subdivision on a postage stamp lot - house for in our old town. We loved the town but even with my husband and I working two professional jobs we struggled to live the life we wanted.

We like to travel. We like to experience new things. We like to be able to let our kids play hockey, take swim lessons, play soccer, etc. etc. There are kids activities here but they are limited. We are happy with what is available though. But to find anything else to do is a struggle.

Also, I like diversity. I'm liberal. I don't listen to country music and fire rifles all weekend which seems to be the pastime of choice here (no judgement, just not my idea of fun). I feel like I'm wasting away in an area where I don't fit in.

So, I've been trying to relocate to the PNW, Colorado, or back to certain towns in Montana. But I'm not sure it's worth it. I miss a larger town (30,000+) with more amenities available but is it worth it at the cost of housing?

So, long story coming to an end. Is it worth my sanity to move to a place I'm more comfortable if it means giving up traveling and other aspects of our life we feel are important or should I just suck it up and take advantage of the low cost of living here even though I get excited about traveling anywhere away from here?

If there is a compromise out there I'd love to hear it. Locations are limited to where my husband's offices are located (Forest Service). I'm not sure I would survive in the South so the low cost of living is not enough of a draw.
I'd relocate to where you like it better. I think if you like where you live life is much easier in all aspects. Things would better iron themselves at a place you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 05:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,132,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What about the South seems unsurvivable?
Mainly the weather (I don't do well in extreme heat and humidity) and also the lack of hockey. But I won't lie, my atheism and liberal ways will put me at odds. I don't expect to be surrounded by likeminded people but I don't want to be ostracized either. Considering we won't end up on a major metro it just is what it is.

I still keep an open mind when job opportunities come up anywhere. I am open to Asheville but again, the lack of hockey is a tough pill to swallow.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:06 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,529,457 times
Can you compromise with travel? Is there perhaps a cheaper type of travel that you could do while still living where you like? Is there a place you would like to live that is at least within driving distances of places and scenery that interest you?

I wish I had the time and money to do more traveling and see more of the country, but I am limited. However, I love where I live and can at least take road trips to other pretty places when I feel the need to get out of town. If I moved elsewhere, my salary would probably be higher and I could have bought more house, but it's not a trade off I'm willing to make. Overall, I'm happy where I live and don't feel like I'm missing out.

If your husband and kids don't care, I don't see the harm in asking yourself these questions and exploring your options.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:21 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Mainly the weather (I don't do well in extreme heat and humidity) and also the lack of hockey. But I won't lie, my atheism and liberal ways will put me at odds. I don't expect to be surrounded by likeminded people but I don't want to be ostracized either. Considering we won't end up on a major metro it just is what it is.

I still keep an open mind when job opportunities come up anywhere. I am open to Asheville but again, the lack of hockey is a tough pill to swallow.
If Hockey is important, then I'd really consider places like East Lansing, Syracuse, Burlington, Amherst, Madison, Evanston, St. Paul and Ansonia/Hamden on that previously posted map. All are likely to have a youth(and other levels of) hockey scene and will also have areas that are "liberal" and most likely "diverse".

Old 05-02-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, are these locations the options for your husband's job?: Locations - US Forest Service Research & Development

If so, I know about East Lansing and Syracuse, as both have areas that fit what you are looking for.
Sorry, I missed this early. Research facilities are a remote possibility but not likely.

I have limited experience with PA and NY and what I saw wasn't striking a chord with me. We were in locations that seemed to be past their prime. I'd like a location that has a positive outlook for the future, i.e. growth. If you know of any, please let me know. I've never been to NE but I always keep it on the radar. Of course there isn't much federal property in NE.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I missed this early. Research facilities are a remote possibility but not likely.

I have limited experience with PA and NY and what I saw wasn't striking a chord with me. We were in locations that seemed to be past their prime. I'd like a location that has a positive outlook for the future, i.e. growth. If you know of any, please let me know. I've never been to NE but I always keep it on the radar. Of course there isn't much federal property in NE.
Where in PA and NY did you go to? Are Forest Land locations what you are looking for? It looks like the Hubbard Brook location in NH may work if that is the case. Perhaps Burlington could work in that case.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 PM

731 posts, read 929,837 times
Strike Seattle and Portland off of your list. You wouldn't be able to meet your housing budget and there is little to no hockey out here. Also, it's Liberal with a capital L. I've lived in Seattle my entire life and have always been liberal, but the intolerance for opinions that aren't super far left is wearing. Maybe you don't need to swing that far to the left, especially because it seems to make everything way more expensive.

Also, we are struggling to make it as a family of 4 on a $100K salary.

I would recommend Richmond VA (a couple hours from DC), but they do have very humid summers. It is very well placed for travel, however. What about Pittsburgh (my Seattle neighbor worked a temp assignment there and really liked it) or Madison? I have a friend, from Seattle, that lives in Columbus OH and is very pleased with how much money they are able to save because the cost of living is so low and there are so many amenities for the kids.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 PM

We spent a week in Matamoras/Milford PA/Port Jervis NY. We drove there from MI so across PA (didn't stop in many places). From there we drove up to Niagra.

Yes, we need to stay near forested areas. I've looked into Burlington and I don't believe there are any FS offices within a reasonable distance but that's the type of place I'd love to live.

I miss the wide open expanses of the west. We spent ten years in Montana and I miss the views. Not only of the mountains but of the openness and big skies.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
We spent a week in Matamoras/Milford PA/Port Jervis NY. We drove there from MI so across PA (didn't stop in many places). From there we drove up to Niagra.

Yes, we need to stay near forested areas. I've looked into Burlington and I don't believe there are any FS offices within a reasonable distance but that's the type of place I'd love to live.

I miss the wide open expanses of the west. We spent ten years in Montana and I miss the views. Not only of the mountains but of the openness and big skies.
Ok, that explains the NY and PA view.

With Montana, you are going to take away the diversity aspect or at least a decent degree of it and outside of the college towns, the liberal aspect.

This is a better map: USDA Forest Service - Experimental Forests and Ranges

Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,690,974 times
You sound like you'd really like the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Educated population, lots of neighborhoods and suburbs you can afford, great hockey, not overly religious. Tons of colleges so ideas flourish. And you can be out of town in less than a half hour in any direction.

Sorry just saw your husband has a very specific job/industry. Don't know if there are any close offices to Twin Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.