U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 AM

553 posts, read 483,821 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I always assumed news reporters, sports broadcasters, and other local TV personnel had a middle America type of accent. This of course was influnced from me living most of my life in the upper midwest. One day I ordered NBA league pass and I was watching a Boston Celtics home game and I could tell the lead broadcaster was from the Boston. This made me wonder if local stations in other cities havery people with local accents or people that sound like typical middle America. I can imagine the sports stations would lean more towards local accents but the news stations would sound more middle America. Feel free to chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:59 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,983,154 times
Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz of NBC10 has a pretty notable Philly accent.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM

1,112 posts, read 699,118 times
The newscasters in my area generally don't have any local accent, expert for the sports guy.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:50 PM

582 posts, read 778,561 times
Newscasters both don't have the local accent and can't pronounce the local names correctly at all. It's pretty funny, really.
Examples: The town is "Huntingtown" not "Huntington", the County is correctly "CAL-vert" or "CAHL-vert", when they try too hard to sound local they come up with "CUWL-vert". The town Bowie is "BOO-ee", saying "BOW-ee" sounds utterly ridiculous. They can't seem to figure out Odenton, Aquasco, somehow they mess up "Charlotte Hall". Not a pronunciation thing, but sometimes the news calls our sheriff "Bob Evans". His name is Mike Evans.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 05-03-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 03:10 PM

5,416 posts, read 7,722,447 times
Google "Gary England storms" and you'll get a taste of the fine commentating/reporting we get here in Oklahoma.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:13 PM

822 posts, read 1,257,170 times
I was visiting Eau Claire, WI and watched the local news when I was there several years ago. The majority of the newscasters had an Upper Midwestern accent.

I was also in Birmingham, AL recently and some of the newscasters had a noticeable trace of a southern accent, but it wasn't as strong as the Eau Claire station's Upper Midwestern accent.

The Pittsburgh newscasters really don't have a local accent. However, a long time weather man who retired, Joe DeNardo, kept his Ohio Valley accent (raised in Martins Ferry, OH and Wheeling, WV).

Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 PM

5,595 posts, read 3,733,916 times
Washington State is "professional broadcast". Most here talk like announcers with no accent whatsoever.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:53 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,201,879 times
You won't hear any stereotypical Minnesotan accents on any of our news stations in the Twin Cities because the accent is more or less nonexistent in the metro area. While some of our anchors and reporters are from other parts of the country, many are locals, too. Not even beloved Kare11 meteorologist Sven Sundgaard (who couldn't be more Minnesotan) has an accent.

Whenever they interview some middle-aged rando from outstate, though, holy crap do you hear it.

"OH YAH, THE RAIN'S CAHMIN' DOAN REAL HAAAHRD. IT'S LIKE STANDIN' IN A TYPHOOHN."

Old 05-04-2016, 09:56 PM

1,450 posts, read 879,530 times
Most here, on local news, have some southern accent.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 AM

270 posts, read 224,878 times
In Southern California, there are for some reason a number of Canadian newscasters, with identifiable (but not extremely obvious) Canadian accents. There are also newscasters who speak in the local accent. People in SoCal don't think there is a SoCal accent, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or