U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times

Advertisements

Surprised that Cleveland hasn't come in the conversation. While it has nowhere near the ridership of other systems mentioned it's certainly extensive and fairly well run it seems.

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default...id_Connect.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 01:11 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,323,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I'm so tired of you putting down St. Louis. You put down The Hill, you put down our sports teams, etc. Our Metrolink rail compares to Denver for sure. We have two lines that span the city and its inner suburbs as well as 18 miles of the Metro East. St. Louis has one of the best transit systems for a mid-sized city in the U.S. and easily compares to Denver, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland.
Grow a little thicker skin. I never put down the Hill. You can't seem to handle anything less than glowing hyperbolic praise for StL, and you're exhaustion with anybody not stroking your fragile municipal ego is not a concern of mine.

St Louis' transit ridership per capita is 1/2 of Denver's, and less than 2/3 what Pittsburgh's is. It is among the top 5 Midwestern transit systems, certainly in the same league as Cleveland, but that's a pretty low bar. I like StL a lot more than I like Denver, it's got a lot of character and a real soul, but it's no transit paragon.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 05-05-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 01:13 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,323,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Baltimore is not even close to being in the same league as St. Louis. Baltimore has no light rail to speak of.
Baltimore has over twice the ridership per capita of StL.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:14 PM

8,771 posts, read 7,700,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Light rail and streetcars are not the same thing.
The Light rail currently being built in most cities is mostly grade separated with maybe a couple at-grade crossings (which is why its not heavy rail). Streetcars have all shared lanes, which makes them inefficient.
So Denver, Minneapolis, Denver etc are not so misguided.
I've only ridden one light rail line that I didn't mind and thought made the trip easier than a bus or car (given no need to park) and that was Cleveland's RTA Blue and Green lines.

I lived off of the Green line in Boston for almost 3 years and it sucked. Even with its own track and not sharing the space with cars. Taking the T from Washington Street (B line) to Park street for work was just awful.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:17 PM

7,738 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I've only ridden one light rail line that I didn't mind and thought made the trip easier than a bus or car (given no need to park) and that was Cleveland's RTA Blue and Green lines.

I lived off of the Green line in Boston for almost 3 years and it sucked. Even with its own track and not sharing the space with cars. Taking the T from Washington Street (B line) to Park street for work was just awful.
And the green line is actually ON the street from Jamaica Plain to Longwood Medical district.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 9,554,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

At least in Denver and Seattle its more a subway that's light rail just incase it needs to cross a road (Heavy rail must be 100% grade separated), more than a streetcar like the Green line branches. In fact, Seattle's light rail has several underground stops.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 PM

5,629 posts, read 6,104,266 times
Its is so funny to read posters opinions of why city is better than that city.

The fact is many are only looking at what is on paper. You have to consider accessibility of the system and how easy it is to get from point A to B and how well connected the employment centers, colleges, airports and major shopping areas. You also have to consider the walkability of the cities as well.

I'm not familiar with Denver or Salt Lake City but St. Louis does have a functional LRT system. The ridership isn't as high because of the extremely low gas prices, ease of parking and relatively light traffic with a great freeway system.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:14 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,976,577 times
Yeah...Portland.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:27 PM

7,738 posts, read 4,581,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Yeah...Portland.
I've never been to Portland, so help me understand a few things:

Are most of the spokes commuter lines to/from the burbs, or do they truly serve city neighborhoods?

What's the frequency like? Enough to make them preferable to busses?

I ask because that map looks quite impressive, but Portland's ridership rate isn't all that high.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,813,351 times
Salt Lake City and Sacramento
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or