U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful State?
Alabama 3 1.04%
Arizona 10 3.47%
Arkansas 0 0%
California 71 24.65%
Colorado 15 5.21%
Connecticut 0 0%
Delaware 1 0.35%
Florida 8 2.78%
Georgia 1 0.35%
Idaho 7 2.43%
Illinois 3 1.04%
Indiana 2 0.69%
Iowa 2 0.69%
Kansas 0 0%
Kentucky 3 1.04%
Louisiana 1 0.35%
Maine 9 3.13%
Maryland 3 1.04%
Massachusetts 4 1.39%
Michigan 4 1.39%
Minnesota 3 1.04%
Mississippi 1 0.35%
Missouri 0 0%
Montana 9 3.13%
Nebraska 1 0.35%
Nevada 0 0%
New Hampshire 1 0.35%
New Jersey 3 1.04%
New Mexico 7 2.43%
New York 6 2.08%
North Carolina 10 3.47%
North Dakota 0 0%
Ohio 0 0%
Oklahoma 1 0.35%
Oregon 13 4.51%
Pennsylvania 6 2.08%
Rhode Island 0 0%
South Carolina 4 1.39%
South Dakota 0 0%
Tennessee 10 3.47%
Texas 3 1.04%
Utah 5 1.74%
Vermont 2 0.69%
Virginia 17 5.90%
Washington 26 9.03%
West Virginia 6 2.08%
Wisconsin 4 1.39%
Wyoming 3 1.04%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:10 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,278,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
What makes a tropical climate "strong?"
It should have no freezes (even 32F) in its history, let alone temps down to the 20s, like Miami has seen:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 09:18 PM

900 posts, read 765,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I don't get this either. I'm in Tennessee and know both VA and NC well being I am only an hour from both states. No contest, North Carolina should be winning. More mountains and better coastline, NC gets this one.
Coastal Virginia is prettier than coastal NC. The Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries are much, much, much nicer than the sounds and rivers of NC. Both states have barrier islands, Virginia's just don't have bridges and roads making them accessible. NC obviously has a longer coastline and some very pretty beaches, but there's more to a coast than the strip of sand that separates the land from the ocean.

Virginia's mountain rivers (James, Shenandoah, Jackson, New, Cow Pasture) are more grand and pristine.

This isn't just about natural beauty either, there's an aesthetic to Virginia's built environment that is just better and more in harmony with the land than NC. The countryside in Virginia is more tidy and less developed than NC's. The treelined highways and interstates shield all of the ugly development ( car dealerships, Ihops and gas stations) which makes the state prettier. The towns and cities of Virginia are more iconic and prettier too.
Williamsburg, Fredericksburg, Alexandria, Smithfield, Staunton, Lynchburg, Leesburg, Lexington, Abingdon, Richmond, Portsmouth and Norfolk are all very pretty and they are situated on well drained land (none of that standing water in ditches) and on rolling hills in the middle of hardwood forests. Virgina has broad marshes and blue rivers with sandy beaches (and eastern shore beaches, both bay and ocean, and the beginning of the Outer Banks at Sandbridge) and a huge commercial beach unlike anything in NC.

Rural Virginia is less impoverished than rural NC so there are fewer abandoned and dilapidated properties.

The total package is just prettier.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,149,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Coastal Virginia is prettier than coastal NC. The Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries are much, much, much nicer than the sounds and rivers of NC. Both states have barrier islands, Virginia's just don't have bridges and roads making them accessible. NC obviously has a longer coastline and some very pretty beaches, but there's more to a coast than the strip of sand that separates the land from the ocean.

Virginia's mountain rivers (James, Shenandoah, Jackson, New, Cow Pasture) are more grand and pristine.

This isn't just about natural beauty either, there's an aesthetic to Virginia's built environment that is just better and more in harmony with the land than NC. The countryside in Virginia is more tidy and less developed than NC's. The treelined highways and interstates shield all of the ugly development ( car dealerships, Ihops and gas stations) which makes the state prettier. The towns and cities of Virginia are more iconic and prettier too.
Williamsburg, Fredericksburg, Alexandria, Smithfield, Staunton, Lynchburg, Leesburg, Lexington, Abingdon, Richmond, Portsmouth and Norfolk are all very pretty and they are situated on well drained land (none of that standing water in ditches) and on rolling hills in the middle of hardwood forests. Virgina has broad marshes and blue rivers with sandy beaches (and eastern shore beaches, both bay and ocean, and the beginning of the Outer Banks at Sandbridge) and a huge commercial beach unlike anything in NC.

Rural Virginia is less impoverished than rural NC so there are fewer abandoned and dilapidated properties.

The total package is just prettier.
I think it's a draw all things considered between VA and NC. NC has historic towns like New Bern and Southport on the coast, plenty of piedmont and Mountain towns, rivers, etc etc. The only difference I notice with the interstates is that VA kept trees in medians in rural parts of the state whereas NC gutted theirs in certain locations. Aside from stretches of populated I-85 in NC, it's all about the same. Lol, you can't tuck the Waffle House away neatly behind the trees.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 PM

17,669 posts, read 4,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Of course it is. Hence why all the butthurt and triggeredness from posters due to my post is all the more hilarious.
I am not hurt by your post.....just curious...in what ways do you think Texas is prettier than Arizona?I am really just wondering,Texyn.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,445,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
With the exception of the Outer Banks, I can experience all of these in Virginia. I'm not sure what your point is. Nobody's denying that North Carolina is gorgeous. Just that it's natural scenery is only slightly better than Virginia's with a historical imprint that's far less interesting (which you denied, but provided no evidence to support).
It's not a matter of opinion to say that NC's mountains are significantly taller than VA's. There are 54x 6000 foot peaks on the east coast. All but two are either fully in NC or shared between NC and TN. Mt LeConte in Tennessee and Mt Washington in New Hampshire are the only exceptions. And then there are hundreds of 5000-footers.

VA has five 5000 foot peaks, all within 100 miles of the NC border, much closer to NC's cities than VA's, and then most of its chain is 3000-4000. Because of the difference in height, NC's mountains are more imposing and impressive. The appalachians are short to begin with, every little bit of height makes a huge difference. There is definitely no view as vast as the top of Clingman's Dome or Mt Mitchell in VA.

NC has the most rugged sections of the southern appalachians in its borders. There is nothing close to Linville Gorge or Grandfather Mountain in VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP0R...SxRcVF1vUDv5We

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPav...SxRcVF1vUDv5We

Mt. Cammerer, Great Smoky Mountains

The difference is not slight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114
VA's accessible beaches are more brackish and murky, thanks to the Chesapeake Bay itself. The rest of this seems very suspect. The marshlands and tributaries are the same... what on earth...

Quote:
That's just your opinion man.

Richmond looks brown and ugly compared to Charlotte and Raleigh. Virginians make a lot of noise about their historic architecture, probably because the modern architecture in their state is so unfortunate. Can't pretend it isn't there though. Also when you drive through on 95 the very first thing you're greeted by is a wonderfully strong sewage-like smell. Not sure if it's actual sewage or paper mills or something else, but it's not exactly 'inviting' or harmonious with the land. NOVA and Norfolk are suburban hellscapes. The traffic is also much worse in every single Virginian city. I was shocked at how poorly the roads were planned around Williamsburg. It was like Wilmington traffic, but if the roads made less sense.

Last edited by Vatnos; 05-16-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 03:50 PM

900 posts, read 765,387 times
The bay is not murky, neither are the rivers. You're confusing VA with NC

Charlotte has a beautiful skyline (comprisesed of postmodern, the least inspiring form of architecture, highrises that could can be found in any North American city). Richmond whips it's ass in beauty (natural and built environment) though. So does Norfolk and Alexandria.

Virginia's contemporary aritexture is as bland as it is everywhere ( Tyson's Corner is esentially a poorly planned Uptown. Roslyn a bigger Raleigh). Fortunately it is overshadowed by 18th and 19th century gems.

The traffic in Tidewater and Northern Virgina is atrocious. That's for sure.

As for peaks, don't downplay NC's 6k footers. Mountain hight is measured from sea level. A 6k foot peak on the east coast is an 11k peak in CO

Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,149,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The bay is not murky, neither are the rivers. You're confusing VA with NC

Charlotte has a beautiful skyline (comprisesed of postmodern, the least inspiring form of architecture, highrises that could can be found in any North American city). Richmond whips it's ass in beauty (natural and built environment) though. So does Norfolk and Alexandria.

Virginia's contemporary aritexture is as bland as it is everywhere ( Tyson's Corner is esentially a poorly planned Uptown. Roslyn a bigger Raleigh). Fortunately it is overshadowed by 18th and 19th century gems.

The traffic in Tidewater and Northern Virgina is atrocious. That's for sure.

As for peaks, don't downplay NC's 6k footers. Mountain hight is measured from sea level. A 6k foot peak on the east coast is an 11k peak in CO
It's a tie...Gboro, Winston-Salem (Triad) area has tons of natural beauty, rolling hills, settings, etc. Chapel Hill is gorgeous. Nah, much prefer Charlotte's tall modern skyline to Richmond that has a lot of boxy 70/80s style high rise structures which can be found in any NA city but Richmond is boss with the old style hoods.

I'm originally from the SE NC (Wilmington area) and clueless about any murky waters. Even grew in near White Lake which is an amazing spot because the water is as a clear as any in the Caribbean:

White Lake, North Carolina, USA Vacation Info - Lakelubbers

A large portion of my family lives in Hampton Roads (Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Norfolk, etc) so always up there for fam reunions, u name it. Lived all over NOVA. When I first arrived in DC (many moons ago) I lived in PG County but adored the landscape of the Vienna/Reston area because it reminded me of NC...so finished up my VA stint in NOVA

The landscape of NC varies a bit more from the mountains to the beach (not bad or good thing). NC has the sandhills (Pinehurst) which really makes things interesting vegetation wise as you approach the coastal plains. Then you have the Uwharrie National Forest and Mountain Range smack dab between the Sandhills and Charlotte:

Uwharrie National Forest, a North Carolina natlforest located near Albemarle, Asheboro and Monroe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwharrie_Mountains

It's kind of neat because you might think you were in the foothills of Appalachia versus getting closer to the coastal plains of eastern NC.

I equally appreciate the topography of both states.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:42 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,323,570 times
I have spent time in all 48 states (also Hawaii, not Alaska) so I will be more specific, since states are large entities. I will instead opt for areas, areas that I have personally spent time in, and this is in order.

1) California Central Coast.
2) Sierra Nevada's, California
3) Southern Utah (5 National Parks)
4) California North Coast
5) Washington, Olympic Peninsula
6) Colorado Rockies
7) Oregon Coast
8) Sangre De Cristo Mountains, New Mexico
9) Idaho Panhandle
10) Northern Arizona

So, yes, it's California, in general, for me, by a lot, but I would also include other areas of other states.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:07 PM

113 posts, read 79,592 times
Louisiana

Old 05-27-2018, 08:13 PM

7,730 posts, read 6,137,255 times
California or Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or