U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful State?
Alabama 3 1.04%
Arizona 10 3.47%
Arkansas 0 0%
California 71 24.65%
Colorado 15 5.21%
Connecticut 0 0%
Delaware 1 0.35%
Florida 8 2.78%
Georgia 1 0.35%
Idaho 7 2.43%
Illinois 3 1.04%
Indiana 2 0.69%
Iowa 2 0.69%
Kansas 0 0%
Kentucky 3 1.04%
Louisiana 1 0.35%
Maine 9 3.13%
Maryland 3 1.04%
Massachusetts 4 1.39%
Michigan 4 1.39%
Minnesota 3 1.04%
Mississippi 1 0.35%
Missouri 0 0%
Montana 9 3.13%
Nebraska 1 0.35%
Nevada 0 0%
New Hampshire 1 0.35%
New Jersey 3 1.04%
New Mexico 7 2.43%
New York 6 2.08%
North Carolina 10 3.47%
North Dakota 0 0%
Ohio 0 0%
Oklahoma 1 0.35%
Oregon 13 4.51%
Pennsylvania 6 2.08%
Rhode Island 0 0%
South Carolina 4 1.39%
South Dakota 0 0%
Tennessee 10 3.47%
Texas 3 1.04%
Utah 5 1.74%
Vermont 2 0.69%
Virginia 17 5.90%
Washington 26 9.03%
West Virginia 6 2.08%
Wisconsin 4 1.39%
Wyoming 3 1.04%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:49 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,106,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Why does history matter? All 4 were original colonies and they all became states at the same time, minus NC which a year later. So I don't know about "unmatched history." All 4 are pretty historic in one way or another.

Virginia is beautiful, but the Carolinas and Georgia are just as beautiful IMO. Virginia's mountains are glorious, but you really can't beat the Carolina coast.
North Carolina doesn't have the historical legacy of Virginia. It has no Alexandria, no Williamsburg, no Charlottesville. It doesn't have a Mount Vernon, a Monticello or a Montpelier. It isn't a 'Mother of Presidents.' It also doesn't have the quaint towns that Virginia has like Paris, Staunton, Orange, Front Royal, Middleburg. It also doesn't have Richmond (Confederate history) or Hampton Roads (Military history, from Fort Monroe to Norfolk Naval Station). And it has nothing like the 1770s culture of Tangier.

The only old things I can think of in North Carolina are Old Salem, Wilmington and parts of Asheville. Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh have very little history on display. Certainly when compared to Virginia's major cities.

So while North Carolina is more beautiful by a smidge, an argument can be made that its cities don't offer as much as those of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 AM

998 posts, read 881,760 times
Virginia is beautiful AND sexy. Relocated from California 10 years ago and my love for this state has only deepened!

Old 05-09-2017, 01:46 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,997 times
Three of the most beautiful states, the Triumvirate: California, Texas, Florida

Old 05-09-2017, 09:37 AM

5,447 posts, read 3,292,866 times
California is the most beautiful state in this country. Too bad it's ran by leftist wackos.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin123 View Post
texas is not beautiful lol.
Yeah, not at all.

http://928ou1qrl07rlu0w2sh2c8pq.wpen..._ElCapitan.jpg

Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 AM

6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Texas??

Abundant cow pies
Land of sun baked bovine art;
Welcome to Texas

Old 05-09-2017, 10:32 AM

3,462 posts, read 3,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
North Carolina doesn't have the historical legacy of Virginia. It has no Alexandria, no Williamsburg, no Charlottesville. It doesn't have a Mount Vernon, a Monticello or a Montpelier. It isn't a 'Mother of Presidents.' It also doesn't have the quaint towns that Virginia has like Paris, Staunton, Orange, Front Royal, Middleburg. It also doesn't have Richmond (Confederate history) or Hampton Roads (Military history, from Fort Monroe to Norfolk Naval Station). And it has nothing like the 1770s culture of Tangier.

The only old things I can think of in North Carolina are Old Salem, Wilmington and parts of Asheville. Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh have very little history on display. Certainly when compared to Virginia's major cities.

So while North Carolina is more beautiful by a smidge, an argument can be made that its cities don't offer as much as those of Virginia.
Well you have Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk, Black Wall Street in Durham (NC Mutual), Blowing Rock, Nantahala,Boone, Maggie Valley, Airborne Museum Fort Bragg (Home of the 82nd), Mt. Airy (Mayberry), speaking of quaint, Bald Head Island, Lumbee Tribe/Strike at the Wind, Cherokee, Reed Gold Mines (Charlotte), etc etc...there is a plenty. VA is definitely loaded with history but like most states NC has it's fair share. VA started initiated the tobacco movement but NC made it a way of life. No way NC is anymore beautiful than VA, absolutely not.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-09-2017 at 10:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 10:51 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Uh, isn't that a photo of El Capitan in California?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:14 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Again, not trying to be rude, but who cares? Why does that matter? You don't have to be packed with history to be a beautiful place. Those 3 states are packed with history, but the thread is most beautiful states, not most historic states.

Asheville, NC is no Williamsburg or Alexandria, but its still a charming city with a beautiful backdrop. Same with Greenville, SC and Brunswick, GA. Beaufort, SC, Kitty Hawk, NC, Wilmington, NC, Durham, NC, Boone, NC, Clemson, SC, Aiken, SC, Murrells Inlet, SC, Dahlonega, GA, Senoia, GA, Chapel Hill, NC, the list goes on.

All 3 have beautiful barrier islands and national forests. Chattahoochee, Francis Marion, Great Smokey, Pisgah, Natahala, Uwarrie, Okefenokee, etc.

There are many towns that have strict codes. You don't see huge concrete parking lots or tall neon signs, but rather tree lined streets and lots, low signs, special architecture, basically incorporating as much of the natural setting as possible. Charlotte and Atlanta may be considered 2 big sprawling cities, but they have lush tree canopies. They're not giant urban blocks of concrete and industry.

The Carolinas and Georgia have plenty of charming, beautiful places, scenery, and wildlife. I have lived in Virginia, I know it's beautiful. I'm not arguing that these 3 states are more beautiful than Virginia, but rather that all 4 are on a similar field. You seem to be determined to make sure Virginia is a clear cut winner. It's not a competition.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:30 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,426,806 times
This is a hard one for me but I have to go with California, Tennessee, and Florida being the most Beautiful... I think Delaware is one of my tops as well but that would be me being bias being I will always be in love with it and a 2nd home to me.. Very diverse though, More Urban at the top, Suburban in the Center and more Beach Communities near the south end, just extremely small ... The US is so diverse but I just feel like California has it all and takes the cake...As far as Big Cities, just think San Francisco and Miami are two of the US most prettiest Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or