Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting list, based upon 2010 census information, for the educational attainment within 5 miles of the core for the top 100 metros in the US: https://www.clevelandfed.org/~/media...sas.xlsx?la=en

Here is the article it came from: https://www.clevelandfed.org/newsroo...1980-2010.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 06:45 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I sorted the spreadsheet by ranking. No huge surprises. The affluent places that don't have a high percentage of their population at the poverty level rank highly. There aren't many poor people who can afford to live in San Francisco. The only surprise to me in the top-10 is Charleston. I don't know the city well enough to understand why it's top-10. Much of South Carolina has pretty big chunks of people at poverty level.

I also wasn't expecting Vegas to be dead last.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:49 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I sorted the spreadsheet by ranking. No huge surprises. The affluent places that don't have a high percentage of their population at the poverty level rank highly. There aren't many poor people who can afford to live in San Francisco. The only surprise to me in the top-10 is Charleston. I don't know the city well enough to understand why it's top-10. Much of South Carolina has pretty big chunks of people at poverty level.

That doesn't explain the high placement of Chicago or the three high-ranking areas in Metro NY? While we're on than subject, I'd like to see a list without multiple entries for the same metro. DC AND Bethesda-Rockville?

Old 05-08-2016, 11:24 PM

49 posts, read 59,830 times
Ugh, they misspelled Worcester as "Worchester" in figure 6d. Poor city isn't even safe in writing.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:

You've obviously never been to Charleston. If you had, you wouldn't be asking that question. It's an incredibly cosmopolitan and wealthy city -- the No. 1 small city in the country for QOL, dining, shopping, the arts, etc.

I'm not suprised Vegas is dead last. People with college degrees usually aspire to something more than being a craps dealer or cocktail waitress.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:06 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
YIt's an incredibly cosmopolitan and wealthy city -- the No. 1 small city in the country for QOL, dining, shopping, the arts, etc.
This is definitely not true. Charleston city and metro aren't unusually wealthy. Median household incomes are in line with national averages. "Cosmopolitan" is subjective but I don't think anyone would agree that Charleston is "incredibly cosmopolitan".

And "#1 small city in the country for x, y, z" is just totally subjective. You could say this for any metro.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
This is a very arbitrary metric (5 miles from core). It's going to depend on where that magical circle lands. I do demographic mapping for a retail company and we use 3 mile circles as a very cursory evaluation tool but would never believe an arbitrary circle (which doesn't take into account geography, traffic patterns, regional dynamics) was particularly useful to compare.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:

Select Cities See Brain Gain - WSJ

Also, with respect to SC as a whole, Columbia (the only other SC metro that was ranked) comes in at a respectable #19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is definitely not true. Charleston city and metro aren't unusually wealthy. Median household incomes are in line with national averages.
Well being that we're talking about a five-mile radius from the core, that would include all of the peninsula and close-in, affluent neighborhoods. Zooming in on that area, it's pretty easy to see how wealthy Charleston is if you're familiar with the city.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:22 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is definitely not true. Charleston city and metro aren't unusually wealthy. Median household incomes are in line with national averages. "Cosmopolitan" is subjective but I don't think anyone would agree that Charleston is "incredibly cosmopolitan".

And "#1 small city in the country for x, y, z" is just totally subjective. You could say this for any metro.
Someone else who's obviously never been to Charleston ...

2015 Best City in North America: Charleston | Travel + Leisure

Charleston voted best city in US - Business Insider

Charleston Wins No. 1 City in the U.S. Award

Everybody Loves Charleston: Voted USA's No. 1 City For Third Consecutive Year

Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 AM

3,161 posts, read 2,211,422 times
Quote:

The poor counties in South Carolina are outside the state's major metropolitan areas, while Charleston is culturally rich, heavily gentrified and with a lot of upscale areas. I'm also guessing that a 5 mile radius from the urban core takes in a lot of unpoplated territory in the Atlantic Ocean or the rivers surrounding the city center, so the less affluent parts of the metro area are outside this radius.

Las Vegas has very low educational attainment due to their predominance of service jobs and lack of white collar professional positions. The economy in that area is very narrow relative to its large population. It's also likely that the more affluent neighborhoods are further away from the urban core - higher income families don't want to live near the bustle of the Strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.