U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2017, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Reputation: 4142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnostiko View Post
From the places I've lived:

In California (at least in the Bay Area) you can buy beer, wine, and spirits from most grocery stores.

In Illinois you can buy beer from supermarkets (can't remember if I saw any wine or spirits though) and gas stations, but most places aren't allowed to sell booze on Sundays.

In North Dakota, grocery stores require a separate entrance for all alcoholic beverages. In my town alcohol can only be served between 1200-2100 on Sundays (even though State law allows for alcohol to be sold up to midnight on Sundays).
When I lived in Chicagoland, liquor was available on Sundays in grocery stores. I can't speak to more conservative downstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,225,716 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
When I lived in Chicagoland, liquor was available on Sundays in grocery stores. I can't speak to more conservative downstate.
Liquor is available 7 days a week from any type of store statewide. The issue was that I believe you previously could not buy alcohol on Sundays prior to 11 am. I remember years ago Chicago's City Council voted to change that law so that grocery stores, but not smaller liquor stores, could start selling as early as 8 am. I'm not sure whatever came of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Reputation: 4142
The convenience of buying liquor in grocery stores is perhaps a positive. But in Washington State, the change in 2012 increased the prices by an average of 35%. While retail prices have actually fallen, the State taxes have increased greatly. The State promised to reduce the State tax over time, but there has been little indication of this actually happening. The old theory of "once a tax is established it will never go down" is coming true, despite the original law. The State needs to be accountable to their promise, but nobody is calling them out. Washington State liquor taxes are out of line and are not being reduced as promised. They need to be held accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 05:23 AM
 
21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You can't in PA. I don't think you can in any province in Canada as well.
PA is definitely one of the weirder states and a tad scary with enforcement. I recall hearing from some how PA Liquor Control agents would sit in liquor store parking lots in border towns like Cherry Hill NJ or Wilmington DE and watch for people with PA plates making large purchases and follow them back over the state line to pull them over for "bootlegging" which carries a fine and confiscation of your purchases. PA maintains state liquor stores but they're quite expensive and not known for their variety, especially with wines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 1,994,968 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The convenience of buying liquor in grocery stores is perhaps a positive. But in Washington State, the change in 2012 increased the prices by an average of 35%. While retail prices have actually fallen, the State taxes have increased greatly. The State promised to reduce the State tax over time, but there has been little indication of this actually happening. The old theory of "once a tax is established it will never go down" is coming true, despite the original law. The State needs to be accountable to their promise, but nobody is calling them out. Washington State liquor taxes are out of line and are not being reduced as promised. They need to be held accountable.
I don't even remember the price of hard alcohol before the switch. I do know that Fred meyer seems pretty cheap compared to the few liquor stores that are still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Status: "0-0-2 Game On!" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Reputation: 9468
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I don't even remember the price of hard alcohol before the switch. I do know that Fred meyer seems pretty cheap compared to the few liquor stores that are still around.
How much space does the hard alcohol take up in a Freddie's in WA state? That is my concern here in Oregon, grocery stores are already pressed for space and something has to go to add hard alcohol - I'd rather see the beer and wine selection stay as it is and go elsewhere to buy hard alcohol. When I go visit my son in CA, the beer selection in the grocery stores by him is pretty sad, you have to go to Total or BevMo to actually get a good beer selection.

Of course, I obviously drink beer and wine and very little hard alcohol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 05:38 PM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,007 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Reputation: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
PA is definitely one of the weirder states and a tad scary with enforcement. I recall hearing from some how PA Liquor Control agents would sit in liquor store parking lots in border towns like Cherry Hill NJ or Wilmington DE and watch for people with PA plates making large purchases and follow them back over the state line to pull them over for "bootlegging" which carries a fine and confiscation of your purchases. PA maintains state liquor stores but they're quite expensive and not known for their variety, especially with wines.
I was just reading about Pennsylvania's liquor laws and I honestly thing it might be the worst in the country (or close to it). Oklahoma and Utah are among the worst, but Pennsylvania is in another category. Why do you think they have kept such draconian system in place all these years? In Oklahoma its expected because of the power that the Baptist church has and likewise in Utah with the LDS church. Pennsylvania though doesn't seem like it would have that kind of puritanical culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Reputation: 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
How much space does the hard alcohol take up in a Freddie's in WA state? That is my concern here in Oregon, grocery stores are already pressed for space and something has to go to add hard alcohol - I'd rather see the beer and wine selection stay as it is and go elsewhere to buy hard alcohol. When I go visit my son in CA, the beer selection in the grocery stores by him is pretty sad, you have to go to Total or BevMo to actually get a good beer selection.

Of course, I obviously drink beer and wine and very little hard alcohol....
Here in Tri-Cities, WA, the Richland Fred Meyer is remodeling, and they have already opened an entire new section near the east entrance called "Wine, Beer, Spirits". It actually operates as a liquor store within a Fred Meyer, but the location allows customers to enter and leave without having to navigate the entire store. This is somewhat controversial, but for the customer who is just looking to buy booze, it is very smart. Plus they offer bargain prices with certain brands. I think Fred Meyer has the upper edge with this concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
Reputation: 14658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I was just reading about Pennsylvania's liquor laws and I honestly thing it might be the worst in the country (or close to it). Oklahoma and Utah are among the worst, but Pennsylvania is in another category. Why do you think they have kept such draconian system in place all these years? In Oklahoma its expected because of the power that the Baptist church has and likewise in Utah with the LDS church. Pennsylvania though doesn't seem like it would have that kind of puritanical culture.
Two words: Gifford Pinchot.

He was the Governor of Pennsylvania at the time that federal Prohibition was repealed, but he was a Prohibitionist himself, so less than a week before alcohol was legalized again in the United States, he called a special session "to make the purchase and consumption of alcohol as inconvenient and expensive as possible," in his own words. Thus, the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board was created. Today, despite nearly 70% of Pennsylvanians favoring full privatization of alcohol sales, even incremental reform takes forever due to the screwy alliance of state store unions, religious fundamentalists (most notably the Amish), and activist groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Simply put, it's become a case of the minority overruling the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2017, 06:05 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 1,994,968 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
How much space does the hard alcohol take up in a Freddie's in WA state? That is my concern here in Oregon, grocery stores are already pressed for space and something has to go to add hard alcohol - I'd rather see the beer and wine selection stay as it is and go elsewhere to buy hard alcohol. When I go visit my son in CA, the beer selection in the grocery stores by him is pretty sad, you have to go to Total or BevMo to actually get a good beer selection.

Of course, I obviously drink beer and wine and very little hard alcohol....
The hard a takes up like one isle, but the Fred Meyers are huge and so are the beer and wine sections. It's a college town and we have a brewery on like every corner. Even more than coffee stands these days.The amount of beer, wine and liquor that the stores sell is incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top