U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:26 PM

5,529 posts, read 3,679,293 times

Advertisements

But Fred Meyer has it right. They see how their liquor department can be a separate area from the rest of the huge store and how that will benefit them from easy in and out access. With other local groceries, it is a search and find operation. I would expect other Fred Meyer's in Washington will follow this model. I also give FM kudos for offering some of the lowest retail prices in the State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 09:08 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,296,612 times
According to this Wikipedia article, the following states allow liquor sales in grocery stores: AZ, CA, HI, IL, IN, IA, LA, ME, MD (in some localities), MA, MI, MO, NE, NV, NM, SD, WA, WV, WI (in some localities)

Also, I'm glad I don't live in Utah, Rhode Island, or North Dakota. They don't even allow beer or wine to be sold in grocery stores.

I think Utah has some of the worst alcohol laws in the country, followed by Kansas or Pennsylvania. Missouri has some of the best (must have been Busch's lobbying).

Old 06-12-2017, 01:17 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
According to this Wikipedia article, the following states allow liquor sales in grocery stores: AZ, CA, HI, IL, IN, IA, LA, ME, MD (in some localities), MA, MI, MO, NE, NV, NM, SD, WA, WV, WI (in some localities)

Also, I'm glad I don't live in Utah, Rhode Island, or North Dakota. They don't even allow beer or wine to be sold in grocery stores.

I think Utah has some of the worst alcohol laws in the country, followed by Kansas or Pennsylvania. Missouri has some of the best (must have been Busch's lobbying).
Don't bars in Missouri have to close at 1:30 AM, though?

Old 06-13-2017, 06:56 AM

862 posts, read 749,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
When we got Sunday sales here in Colorado, each grocery chain was allowed to sell liquor in one of its stores, e.g. one Safeway, one King Sooper's, etc. These are usually in Denver.
That has been since bumped up a bit I think it's up to 5 maybe 10 stores now. Oh I believe that is every chain except for Walmart ( thank you King Soopers !!). Actually Colorado can be like almost everyone else when it comes to liquor if it wasn't for King Soopers. The story I heard its more of a King Soopers VS Walmart thing. King Soopers is scared that Walmart will get a full strength liquor license and hurt their business so that's why the "baby steps" like a handful of liquor license per-chain of course in public they King Soopers will say that they are "very concerned" about the many mom & pop liquor stores but in reality they don't care about them only Walmart. King Soopers controls local politics. If King Soopers wants to sell marijuana in their stores they can but they will stir up a fight with Walmart before that happens.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:14 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,402,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
PA is definitely one of the weirder states and a tad scary with enforcement. I recall hearing from some how PA Liquor Control agents would sit in liquor store parking lots in border towns like Cherry Hill NJ or Wilmington DE and watch for people with PA plates making large purchases and follow them back over the state line to pull them over for "bootlegging" which carries a fine and confiscation of your purchases. PA maintains state liquor stores but they're quite expensive and not known for their variety, especially with wines.
I grew up in SE Pennsylvania.

My town was dry in that no alcohol could be served or sold anywhere at anytime except from the State Store or the beer distributor so that was the "culture" I grew up in. This included no alcohol of any type in restaurants.

I moved to Florida when I was 19 when the legal age for beer and wine was 19. I still remember the shock when I walked into the Winn Dixie (grocery store) and saw beer and wine available. Then I saw beer and wine available in the school store. Then I learned the campus had a bar (beer/wine)....and you could use your meal card to pay for it! To top it all off your campus club was allowed to have a keg at an event/party...and if the keg did not fit in your car they would let you take the school's pickup truck (with the school logo on it) to pick it up and serve from the tailgate!

Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,612,699 times
In Indiana, as long as it's not Sunday, it's room temperature, and there is a pharmacy, supermarkets can sell any alcohol between 7am and 3am. Sunday sales are not allowed anywhere other than restaurants and bars. This has tried to be overturned numerous times but the liquor store lobby keeps blocking it. Breweries and wineries are able to sell alcohol on Sundays as long as it is on the same premise it is brewed. And anything cold can only be sold at liquor stores. A local gas station got around that by having a Subway or some other restaurant combined with the gas station. Thus, they were able by law to sell cold beer. But the state put a stop to that just this year by closing that little loophole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or