Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:54 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Wow. And people think the south is backward?

Florida is the only state down here that has liquor stores attached to grocery stores, as well as drug stores -- which I always thought REALLY strange! Buy your booze on one side, your pills on the other. It's a one-stop shop for addicts!

I've always found state-controlled (ABC) liquor stores strange. Alabama is one that seems really backward in this regard.

ANOTHER STRANGE THING: States where all bars and clubs are PRIVATE members-only establishments and require you to buy a membership or pay a cover charge just to go in a drink. Mississippi, Utah and a few others are this way I think. South Carolina used to be. Not sure now. South Carolina also used to be the only state in the country where bars and restaurants only served mini bottles (like on airplanes). They've done away with that.

Alchohol laws in Georgia are surprisingly liberal and are administered by local, not statewide, ordinance. That means there are some "dry" counties, but others like here in Savannah are VERY "wet." We can even carry drinks to-go on public sidewalks! All grocery stores sell beer and wine, and liquor stores are everywhere. The only "blue law" remaining is one prohibiting Sunday sales until noon ... after church.
Well hooray for Georgia. Most of the south still has state control liquor, no sale on Sundays, and states still have dry counties. I do find it surprising, however, that the Midwest, on the whole, tends to have more progressive liquor laws than the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Well hooray for Georgia. Most of the south still has state control liquor, no sale on Sundays, and states still have dry counties. I do find it surprising, however, that the Midwest, on the whole, tends to have more progressive liquor laws than the Northeast.
That shouldn't surprise you, what do you think we do all winter

Old 05-06-2016, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
New Mexico. The high proof vodka is one aisle over from the Cheerios.

Some stores keep the hard stuff locked up to prevent shoplifting, though.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New Mexico. The high proof vodka is one aisle over from the Cheerios.
Perfect combo. Lol.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
In Missouri they sell hard liquor in the grocery stores. Gas stations it's mainly beer.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,286 times
I know for sure in Missouri and Illinois you can; I'm shocked by this question....I had no idea you couldn't buy liquor at a supermarket

Old 05-06-2016, 03:36 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
In Missouri they sell hard liquor in the grocery stores. Gas stations it's mainly beer.
You can buy liquor at gas stations in Missouri, though not in Illinois

Old 05-06-2016, 04:59 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
In Cali not only can you get the hard stuff in supermarkets, but also in drug stores. Weird to me that you can do this in San Fran, but that at the same time they also ban the sale of cigarettes anywhere there is a pharmacy. Don't know if that is statewide law or local to SF

Old 05-06-2016, 07:19 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
You can buy liquor at gas stations in Missouri, though not in Illinois
But your neighbors to the west are night and day from your State. When I last visited parts of eastern Kansas about 5 years ago you couldn't even buy wine and beer on Sunday mornings. I remember it being after noon before you could purchase low alcohol beer. Oklahoma, too.

Here is the Wiki article on Kansas:

"Kansas's alcohol laws are among the strictest in the United States. Kansas prohibited all alcohol from 1881 to 1948, and continued to prohibit on-premises sales of alcohol from 1949 to 1987. Sunday sales only have been allowed since 2005. Today, 29 counties still do not permit the on-premises sale of alcohol. 59 counties require a business to receive at least 30% of revenue from food sales to allow on-premises sale of alcohol. Only 17 counties allow general on-premises sales. Not all communities which allow off-premises sales allow sales on Sunday. Sales are prohibited on Christmas and Easter. The only alcoholic beverage which grocery stores and gas stations may sell is beer with no more than 3.2% alcohol by weight. Other liquor sales only are allowed at state-licensed retail liquor stores. Kansas has comprehensive open container laws for public places and vehicles, public intoxication laws, and requirements for prospective on-premises or off-premises licensees."

Old 05-06-2016, 07:47 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The only alcoholic beverage which grocery stores and gas stations may sell is beer with no more than 3.2% alcohol by weight.
That's even more restrictive than New York. Kansas is no joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.