U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:01 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,356,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Wow. And people think the south is backward?

Florida is the only state down here that has liquor stores attached to grocery stores, as well as drug stores -- which I always thought REALLY strange! Buy your booze on one side, your pills on the other. It's a one-stop shop for addicts!

I've always found state-controlled (ABC) liquor stores strange. Alabama is one that seems really backward in this regard.

ANOTHER STRANGE THING: States where all bars and clubs are PRIVATE members-only establishments and require you to buy a membership or pay a cover charge just to go in a drink. Mississippi, Utah and a few others are this way I think. South Carolina used to be. Not sure now. South Carolina also used to be the only state in the country where bars and restaurants only served mini bottles (like on airplanes). They've done away with that.

Alchohol laws in Georgia are surprisingly liberal and are administered by local, not statewide, ordinance. That means there are some "dry" counties, but others like here in Savannah are VERY "wet." We can even carry drinks to-go on public sidewalks! All grocery stores sell beer and wine, and liquor stores are everywhere. The only "blue law" remaining is one prohibiting Sunday sales until noon ... after church.
Massachusetts votes blue but I wouldn't call this state liberal haha. If you include liberal to mean free. But I just looked it up and Massachusetts only allows 7 liquor licences for every corporation. A few years ago this was 3 liquor licence so i guess we're improving . Also Happy Hours, pitchers, drinking games, free drinks are illegal at Massachusetts bars. All bars must be shut down by 2 AM. Also Bars/stores are legally liable if they sell to underage people who show out of state drivers licence, this makes it so some places like the TD Garden (Basketball/Hockey stadium) don't accept out of state licences as proof of age. Many other establishments also have this stupid policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:52 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Here in Oregon, beer and wine can be sold in grocery stores (and convenience stores) but not hard alcohol, which is only sold in state-licensed liquor stores. I am not in favor of adding hard alcohol to grocery stores because there is only so much space in a grocery store and something has to go to get the space. When I go into the grocery stores in California, the liquor aisles are usually half (or more) the size of the produce department.

There was supposed to be a ballot measure, very similar to the one Washington recently passed, but the grocery lobby pulled it for some reason, so it won't be on the 2016 ballot.

Oregon has a truly bizarre system of alcohol sales involving a very large (and powerful) middleman system that everyone, state-licensed stores and stores selling beer and wine, have to buy through that adds a lot of cost in our system.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:13 PM

18,577 posts, read 19,546,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
You can buy liquor at gas stations in Missouri, though not in Illinois
Did something change in IL? I bought liquor in a gas station when I was last there.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:46 PM

862 posts, read 750,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
In Colorado, only 3.2 beer can be sold in grocery and convenience stores. They (we) have tried unsuccessfully for years to change it, but no go. We just got liquor stores to open on Sunday a few years ago. We still have many "blue laws" here, such as you can't buy a car on Sunday. And the country thinks we're so progressive due to legalized pot.
Back in the late 80s I was working for 7-11 in Denver and even then that chain as well as Safeway, Circle K, Albertsons, Cub Foods and a few others had tried to change the law to allow at least full strength beer to be sold in grocery and convenience stores. Looking back now oddly enough it was King Soopers ( Kroger ) who was against it as I can recall somebody from that chain appearing on Denver's 9 News saying how King Soopers really cares for the little guy and does not want to put any of the liquor stores out of business so NO to full strength beer. At the time I had thought that was strange but then again at the time I was about to leave Colorado anyway so I really didn't care at the time one way or the other. Oddly enough I was in a King Soopers recently and now even they want to get rid of the 3.2 rule.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:11 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,327,090 times
The state I used to live in, New Jersey, forbids alcohol sales of any kind, except for in liquor stores. I haven't lived there in over 10 years, but I think some Wegman's stores in Southern NJ permit some alcohol sales there. Other stores have a separate partition from their supermarkets that function as separate, but joined establishments, to sell the alcohol.

The northeast, in general, is way more restrictive than other regions of the country when it comes to dispensing alcohol. As far as I know, New York State, Vermont and New Hampshire are the only states that will even allow beer to be sold at a gas station or a pharmacy. Now that I have spent the last 11 years in other regions of the country, I take for granted the freedom of being able to purchase alcohol almost anywhere.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 641,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The state I used to live in, New Jersey, forbids alcohol sales of any kind, except for in liquor stores. I haven't lived there in over 10 years, but I think some Wegman's stores in Southern NJ permit some alcohol sales there. Other stores have a separate partition from their supermarkets that function as separate, but joined establishments, to sell the alcohol.

The northeast, in general, is way more restrictive than other regions of the country when it comes to dispensing alcohol. As far as I know, New York State, Vermont and New Hampshire are the only states that will even allow beer to be sold at a gas station or a pharmacy. Now that I have spent the last 11 years in other regions of the country, I take for granted the freedom of being able to purchase alcohol almost anywhere.
Yeah, despite enforcing the most restrictive alcohol sale and distribution laws, the Northeast is still probably home to the most drunks of any region overall. A lot of that has to do with the heavy Irish-American contingent and, in Pennsylvania and western New York, German-American.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:47 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,225,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Did something change in IL? I bought liquor in a gas station when I was last there.
You can buy liquor in gas stations here.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:48 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,356,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Yeah, despite enforcing the most restrictive alcohol sale and distribution laws, the Northeast is still probably home to the most drunks of any region overall. A lot of that has to do with the heavy Irish-American contingent and, in Pennsylvania and western New York, German-American.
I think basically every northern European country has a drinking problem . I studied abroad in Scandinavia and they drank more over there than I thought was humanly possible. The English isles, Germans, and russains are heavy drinkers. I'm just going to theorize that all white people are the ones with drinking problems .

Old 05-09-2016, 11:16 AM

1,016 posts, read 641,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think basically every northern European country has a drinking problem . I studied abroad in Scandinavia and they drank more over there than I thought was humanly possible. The English isles, Germans, and russains are heavy drinkers. I'm just going to theorize that all white people are the ones with drinking problems .
You'd probably drink like a fish, too, if you lived in a place that was cold, damp and dark for most of the year. I know I would.

In colder regions of the world, it seems as if most activities and socialization in general revolve around drinking.

When I lived in New England, I was much heavier and less inclined towards physical activity than in California or Florida. I think part of that is probably due to the fact that you spend a lot more of the year cooped up indoors with not much else to do aside from eat and drink.

From a standpoint of demographic groups in the United States, alcoholism is most acute among Native Americans. Alaska, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, South Dakota, Oklahoma, etc. all suffer from high rates of alcoholism due to their large Native American populations.

The rest of the states with high rates of alcoholism are states with large German, Irish and British-American populations.

Contrary to popular belief, people of Mediterranean descent don't really drink all that much.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,981,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Illinois you can buy anything any the grocery store. Minnesota - they act like its the 1870s.

You mean 1920s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or