U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:23 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,584,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Can't buy liquor in grocery stores in SC. You can get beer of any kind, and wine, but no hard liquor. Had no idea you could get it in grocery stores anywhere. SC has liquor-only stores, and many of them are quite nice and polished. I also thought that was standard everywhere. There are no dry counties, but there are some counties where you still can't buy any kind of alcohol on Sundays, which sucks.

And it gets funky. Some counties you cant buy on Sundays - unless you go to a place like Applebees and order it at the bar. But you can't go to Walmart or Publix in the same shopping center. So you can go to Applebees and get a margarita, but can't go to Walmart next door and get a Seagrams, which has less alcohol in it.

Bars close at 2am. Liquors stores depend on the municipality, but I haven't seen one open past 7. There aren't really any special laws. I find MA's crazy. You can't use your OOS id? Really? I'm glad that's not a common practice.

Also someone said isn't it a waste to have to go to one store to buy rum and then another Coke. Well many stores here are way ahead of you lol. They have sodas, syrups, and juice, etc already at the store.
South Carolina has no statewide last call, so I'm guessing there are at least some areas where bars are open later than 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Ohio used to have state liquor stores but now I buy my Jägermeister at Kroger.
I believe the cap on liquor in grocery stores in Ohio is 21%ABV (42 proof). California, where I lived previously, had a cap of 60 or 70% ABV across the state, but you can buy anything under that in grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. Much more sensible IMO.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I believe the cap on liquor in grocery stores in Ohio is 21%ABV (42 proof). California, where I lived previously, had a cap of 60 or 70% ABV across the state, but you can buy anything under that in grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. Much more sensible IMO.
That was the rule when I lived in Ohio. It may have changed in the past 13 years.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:08 PM

9,007 posts, read 4,115,699 times
In Oklahoma, thanks to the Southern Baptist and Independent Fundamental Baptist churches, you cannot buy any alcohol in grocery stores other than 3.2% ABV beer. Anheuser-Busch and Miller-Coors actually have special watered down versions of their beers to sell in Oklahoma.

To get real beer, you have to go to a liquor store. Liquor stores can't be open Sunday, must close by 9PM every other night of the week, and can't sell any beer or wine chilled (to prevent people from buying beer and drinking it in the parking lot). Brewpubs are allowed in OKC but they are useless since they have to close at 9PM. Any outdoor festival may have been but it can't have more than 3.2% ABV.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:13 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,584,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In Oklahoma, thanks to the Southern Baptist and Independent Fundamental Baptist churches, you cannot buy any alcohol in grocery stores other than 3.2% ABV beer. Anheuser-Busch and Miller-Coors actually have special watered down versions of their beers to sell in Oklahoma.

To get real beer, you have to go to a liquor store. Liquor stores can't be open Sunday, must close by 9PM every other night of the week, and can't sell any beer or wine chilled (to prevent people from buying beer and drinking it in the parking lot). Brewpubs are allowed in OKC but they are useless since they have to close at 9PM. Any outdoor festival may have been but it can't have more than 3.2% ABV.
That sounds awful

Old 06-06-2017, 09:37 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
As an aside, it is illegal to bring alcohol into the State of Utah. That's correct, if you buy liquor in Arizona, Nevada or California, you can be ticketed for carrying into Utah. Even if it is packed in the trunk. However, this law if obviously very hard to enforce. My guess would be they would need to search your car for probable cause to even get close to this. That being said, hide your liquor in the trunk in case you get stopped for another reason, like speeding.

"May I bring alcoholic beverages into Utah?
No. Under Utah law "alcoholic beverages" include all hard liquor, spirits, wine and beer. Beer and other malt beverage products that exceed 3.2% alcohol by weight or 4.0% by volume are considered "liquor", and beer with an alcohol content of 3.2% or less is defined as "beer".

Utah is a “control state”, and only the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (DABC) may lawfully have liquor products imported and shipped into Utah. Private individuals may not lawfully import or transport them into the state. Manufacturers and suppliers of these products may only supply them to the DABC. Only the DABC through its state liquor stores, package agencies, licensees and permittees may sell liquor products in Utah. Possession of liquor products not purchased from the DABC is strictly prohibited. Also, licensed restaurants and clubs cannot allow patrons to bring wines onto the premises if they were not purchased in Utah. Other Utah laws prohibit the unlawful importation of beer products into Utah.

There are very few exceptions to these laws. A person coming from a foreign country who clears U.S. customs in Utah may possess, for personal consumption, two liters of liquor purchased outside of Utah. Also, a person who moves his permanent residence to Utah or maintains separate residences both in and out of Utah, may possess for personal consumption, and not for sale or resale, liquor purchased outside of Utah. However, the person must first obtain DABC approval prior to moving to Utah; and upon the arrival of the product, the DABC will charge a nominal handling fee. A person may not obtain approval from the DABC under this exception more than once. A person may possess for personal consumption, and not for sale or resale, liquor inherited as part of an estate that is located outside the state and brought it into Utah, after obtaining the approval from the DABC and paying the required administrative handling fee.

Finally, accredited foreign diplomatic missions that establish a mission presence in Utah may ship, possess and purchase alcoholic beverages under certain exceptions granted under the Vienna Conventions on Diplomatic and Consular Relations.

Unless one of these exceptions applies, it is clear you may not bring alcoholic beverages into Utah for any purpose whether it be for personal consumption, to serve at a private social function, or to give or sell to others."

Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 AM

17,683 posts, read 4,073,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

actually its 3.2 percent alcohol by weight which is about 4 percent ABV.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 PM

25 posts, read 13,894 times
From the places I've lived:

In California (at least in the Bay Area) you can buy beer, wine, and spirits from most grocery stores.

In Illinois you can buy beer from supermarkets (can't remember if I saw any wine or spirits though) and gas stations, but most places aren't allowed to sell booze on Sundays.

In North Dakota, grocery stores require a separate entrance for all alcoholic beverages. In my town alcohol can only be served between 1200-2100 on Sundays (even though State law allows for alcohol to be sold up to midnight on Sundays).

Old 06-07-2017, 07:12 PM

5,954 posts, read 7,322,990 times
You can't in PA. I don't think you can in any province in Canada as well.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:44 AM

567 posts, read 329,671 times
You can definitely buy liquor and wine in Illinois grocery stores (though some may choose not to carry alcohol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or