Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:24 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times

Advertisements

Ever seen a drive through daiquiri store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 AM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I found a thread on C-D mentioning liquor in supermarkets (Wisconsin). Which other states permit this?

I'm no heavy drinker, so it's more curiosity. In New York, if you want wine or liquor, you go to a liquor store.

Missouri allows hard liquor to be sold in supermarkets.

But I'm from a weird, small town in Missouri that was completely dry until the mid-1980's. It was the hometown of Carry Nation, the most famous member of the Women's Temperance Union. Out of respect for Carry, the town banned alcohol for about 125 years. There was not a liquor store or bar for miles.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:22 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
It's also similar in Wisconsin as Illinois that you can buy alcohol at gas stations, but Wisconsin stops selling much earlier.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 05-05-2016 at 06:34 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 07:16 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Yes, definitely an example of the state doing a better job than the private stores! (Imagine that...let the profit incentive take over and people try to profit.)

Supermarkets are also trying to figure out security. First it was turning aisles into cul de sacs, or putting a proximity detector at each end so a bell would go off. Now some are putting locks on liquor shelves so you have to get a person to come by and unlock it.
Safeway in Seattle locks up their liquor.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
You can buy liquor at any licensed distributor in MI but it's still a control buy state so the retailer has to buy the booze straight from the state.

I work for Michigan Liquor Control .

Old 05-05-2016, 08:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I mean hell, in Chicago you can buy beer and wine at the deli in Target and walk around drinking it. There are also upscale supermarkets opening all over where you can buy wine and wander the store drinking, movie theatres sell booze....

Otherwise packaged it's available everywhere, Walgreens, CVS, Target, supermarkets, 7-11, gas stations, etc. etc.

Bar hours are 7am to 4am on weeknights, 7am to 5am on weekends except Sundays where you can't buy until 8am.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
In Colorado, only 3.2 beer can be sold in grocery and convenience stores. They (we) have tried unsuccessfully for years to change it, but no go. We just got liquor stores to open on Sunday a few years ago. We still have many "blue laws" here, such as you can't buy a car on Sunday. And the country thinks we're so progressive due to legalized pot.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:50 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I mean hell, in Chicago you can buy beer and wine at the deli in Target and walk around drinking it. There are also upscale supermarkets opening all over where you can buy wine and wander the store drinking, movie theatres sell booze....

Otherwise packaged it's available everywhere, Walgreens, CVS, Target, supermarkets, 7-11, gas stations, etc. etc.

Bar hours are 7am to 4am on weeknights, 7am to 5am on weekends except Sundays where you can't buy until 8am.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. You can't walk around and openly drink booze...which is why it is good to have a thermos or a cup from 7-11 or a fast food restaurant. The Speedway off of Touhy near ORD has a walk in beer cave, a few fridges of beer, and a wine display. It's pretty funny that a gas station has that much booze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
In Colorado, only 3.2 beer can be sold in grocery and convenience stores. They (we) have tried unsuccessfully for years to change it, but no go. We just got liquor stores to open on Sunday a few years ago. We still have many "blue laws" here, such as you can't buy a car on Sunday. And the country thinks we're so progressive due to legalized pot.
When I was living out in Denver the liquor laws were really surprising. I thought because they have legalized recreational weed that the liquor laws would be progressive...nope. They were a bit prudish compared to Illinois. It was a pain in the butt to have to go to two store to get supplies to make mixed drinks or get non-watered down beer. It also sucked that there was nothing like Binny's, but that's another topic.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:05 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
In Massachusetts most grocery stores don't sell any type of alcohol. It's only a small number of flagship grocery stores that have a liquor licence where they can sell alcohol. All of the grocery stores close to me don't sell any alcohol. I don't exactly know the law but I believe that Mass only lets grocery chains have a small number of liquor licences each.
Wow. And people think the south is backward?

Florida is the only state down here that has liquor stores attached to grocery stores, as well as drug stores -- which I always thought REALLY strange! Buy your booze on one side, your pills on the other. It's a one-stop shop for addicts!

I've always found state-controlled (ABC) liquor stores strange. Alabama is one that seems really backward in this regard.

ANOTHER STRANGE THING: States where all bars and clubs are PRIVATE members-only establishments and require you to buy a membership or pay a cover charge just to go in a drink. Mississippi, Utah and a few others are this way I think. South Carolina used to be. Not sure now. South Carolina also used to be the only state in the country where bars and restaurants only served mini bottles (like on airplanes). They've done away with that.

Alchohol laws in Georgia are surprisingly liberal and are administered by local, not statewide, ordinance. That means there are some "dry" counties, but others like here in Savannah are VERY "wet." We can even carry drinks to-go on public sidewalks! All grocery stores sell beer and wine, and liquor stores are everywhere. The only "blue law" remaining is one prohibiting Sunday sales until noon ... after church.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:34 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I think Utah ended the membership requirement for bars a while back, but I definitely was there when it was in place. Kind of quirky, but essentially a group cover charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.