Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,170 times

Advertisements

I've lived in New England, NYC, NJ and will soon be moving to Washington state at the end of June. My question is to those who have made a similar move, how do you like it out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
I made the move with a huge, long residence in the Rockies in between, but can advise this, IF you are talking about western WA:

Just because both places have seashores does not make them similar. The climate is very different, with wetter winters and drier summers. Summers are less hot and winters are less cold. Politically, the area influenced by Seattle and Portland are in a class of their own. Nuff said about that.

The west in general has far fewer secondary highways than the northeast does.

Sales tax is very high, although not compared with NJ's.

Property crime is above the national average.

Without knowing which part of WA you are thinking of, it's hard to make generalities.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,885 times
The scale is very different.

Agree with pikabike that WA itself covers some pretty diverse terrain/climate/politics, so it matters whether you're talking about the northeast vs. Pullman, or northeast vs. Seattle.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 PM

21 posts, read 23,879 times
I too am interested in hearing about this! Anyone move out to the Portland/Vancouver area though?

Old 05-06-2016, 03:59 PM

226 posts, read 257,944 times
I moved to Oregon having previously lived in CT, NJ and different parts of NY. I love it here. I love the scenery, the weather (yes, the rain too), the relaxed lifestyle, the politics, the people. I was meant to live here.

I miss a few things. Good bagels. The sharp cynical humor of the people. I miss the grit sometimes. And I miss the better school funding. I'm glad I grew up there, but I'm glad I moved here.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
I too am interested in hearing about this! Anyone move out to the Portland/Vancouver area though?
Yes, though from New England, not PA. Did live in Cleveland. Not much of an expert on the Philly area.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I made the move with a huge, long residence in the Rockies in between, but can advise this, IF you are talking about western WA:

Just because both places have seashores does not make them similar. The climate is very different, with wetter winters and drier summers. Summers are less hot and winters are less cold. Politically, the area influenced by Seattle and Portland are in a class of their own. Nuff said about that.

The west in general has far fewer secondary highways than the northeast does.

Sales tax is very high, although not compared with NJ's.

Property crime is above the national average.

Without knowing which part of WA you are thinking of, it's hard to make generalities.
Tacoma north end most likely.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:57 PM

Depends on what you like about New England. I like that part of Tacoma (and over into Gig Harbor) where there's a lot of boating in the landscape and lifestyle. Reminds me (generally) of lots of places on the New England coast.

Certainly differences - much less snow, bit more rain. And in terms of population/density the only thing in New England like the Seattle metro is Boston. Tacoma is more affordable than Seattle, but it's still not cheap.

If I had enough money, Gig Harbor is one of the places I'd want to buy a boat and retire, probably over returning to New England. Tough call, but only because I do still have more friends in New England than Seattle.

Anyway, if you can handle being a 6 hour flight away from home, and the traffic in the Seattle metro, I think odds are decent you'll adjust pretty well.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:45 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,859 times
I've lived in NJ (30 years), MA (3 years), and Portland (22 years). I love it; the adjustment was easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.