U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:32 AM

161 posts, read 167,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA. Could shoot more towards Norfolk, as that's the urban core of the area, but schools are hit-or-miss. You can get a large home for 400k in the area. Gets hot June-September, though, but the spring and fall are absolutely delightful, and the winters are mild.

And regarding the presence of water, well...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...!4d-76.3883373

See for yourself.
VA beach does sound intriguing. I'm ok with some hot weather just not those of more southern cities. I will do some research on their boards. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Re: See Grand Rapids.
I've known people from here who absolutely loved it. I may have to do more reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,355,536 times
What about Charleston SC. Beautiful city, one of the most beautiful in the country IMO. Its a pretty moderate city (liberal for South Carolina). The biggest issue would be the hot summers however it shouldn't be any worse than VA Beach.

Also if you're willing to look at a smaller city consider Portland Maine. To experience some of the big city cultural attractions you could always drive or take the train down to Boston. It takes about an hour without any traffic.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:31 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,640,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You thought Chapel Hill had too many trees? Interesting.
I thought that was weird too. There's no such thing as too many trees! Maybe that's the desert native in me speaking out, I love lots of trees when I get to see them. OP probably shouldn't look into Atlanta then if that's the case, I heard there was a lot of trees there too. Though if OP ever got over the tree thing Atlanta might be an option. If anything a lot of trees is a good thing, IMO, better air quality.

If the only reason to take Chapel Hill off the list was trees I feel like you are personally TRYING to take things off your list at this point, instead of finding places to add.

Surprised Denver isn't on their list because it's on everyone else's. Plus it sounds like a good match anyway. It's on the plains so you don't have to worry about trees. Denver also has some lakes, oddly enough. Same with places in Colorado.

This is just a guess but, Burlington, Vermont? Somewhere up there? That part of the country has quite a bit of lakes and rivers, it's quaint, and older = more dense. New England does pretty good with schools last time I checked (better than Arizona anyway) and I can't imagine the mid-sized to smaller cities being too expensive.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:05 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,355,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
This is just a guess but, Burlington, Vermont? Somewhere up there? That part of the country has quite a bit of lakes and rivers, it's quaint, and older = more dense. New England does pretty good with schools last time I checked (better than Arizona anyway) and I can't imagine the mid-sized to smaller cities being too expensive.
I love Burlington Vermont but I would never call it dense. It's a tiny city in a rural area.

About Boston i'm sure if you looked hard there are suburbs you could find that meet your criteria. Have you ever been to Beverly, I feel like that would meet all of your qualifications. While the schools there aren't top notch by Massachusetts standards Mass has the best public schools in the country. The top school districts in Mass are pressure cookers anyway. Using national criteria Beverly schools are great. That's just the first suburb that comes to mind but you can find others. There are other suburbs that you could find there that have nice downtown and 400k houses.

And to the poster who recommend Denver that's a great option. You don't have the historical feel of the east coast or the ocean but it's certainly a great city and the mountains are awesome.

Last edited by tysmith95; 05-09-2016 at 05:16 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
FWIW, as a transplant to Pittsburgh, I don't find the level of cloudiness that depressing, except during winter. A lot of days you don't even notice it's cloudy unless you look up and see the sky is mostly white instead of blue. The sky doesn't seem notably dark except for the typical times around thunderstorms. If you like sunbathing or something you might feel like you're missing out, but just for walking around and enjoying the outside it's not bad at all.

Pittsburgh satisfies all of your other requirements in spades. There's even some city neighborhoods with good school options in your price range, so you wouldn't have to live in the suburbs if you didn't want to. Keep in mind though that as an older city, most of the housing stock isn't that new. If you love historic houses it can be great, but if you want new construction your options are going to be more limited.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,847,632 times
Ugh, this is one of those ultra high-maintenance posts. No place will ever be perfect. Best to find a way to be happy from within, and not be so reliant on outside forces to make you happy.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM

5,426 posts, read 2,825,425 times
Agree. "Bring me another rock."

Stay put for now and travel more, probably deleting some list items and maybe adding others.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:03 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Perhaps Albany NY, which has some nice, dense areas within the metro, generally good schools, a good economy, good location and it fulfills a lot of the criteria in the original post. This is a street view of Delmar, a suburb just south of Albany that is in the very good Bethlehem SD: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6222...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Scotia, just outside of Schenectady in the same metro: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8255...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Ballston Spa, outside of Saratoga Springs: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0026...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Saratoga Springs: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0828...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Along with Grand Rapids, in Michigan, I'd say that the Lansing/East Lansing area could work. It fulfills pretty much all of the criteria. East Lansing, just north/NW of Downtown is where I would look. You have Potter Park Zoo in Lansing, a children's science museum, sporting events and more in the area. Street view of Downtown East Lansing: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7354...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Perhaps Ann Arbor or Royal Oak just north of Detroit as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-09-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You thought Chapel Hill had too many trees? Interesting.
Bad trees! Bad, bad, bad trees!!!! Go to your room; no soup for you!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:18 PM

15,467 posts, read 25,413,703 times
Sacramento depending on your definition of "blazing hot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or