U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:46 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,998,701 times

Advertisements

Sacramento meets everyone of the OP's conditions.

Median home price: $267,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 04:42 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Another community that came to mind given your other wants is Kenmore NY just outside of Buffalo and a straight shot from Hertel Ave and the Elmwood Village neighborhoods. A very dense suburb that has solid/good schools. Niagara Falls and Darien Lake Amusement Park isn't too far away either.
https://goo.gl/maps/dHB9tWsDpJn

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...09/kenmore.htm

Old 05-13-2016, 05:24 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,644,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Ugh, this is one of those ultra high-maintenance posts. No place will ever be perfect. Best to find a way to be happy from within, and not be so reliant on outside forces to make you happy.
Very true, and maybe give up some requirements or preconceived notions...

Old 05-18-2016, 11:33 AM

114 posts, read 80,976 times
Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Louisville all come to mind as reasonable possibilities.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,233 times
Default agreed on pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
FWIW, as a transplant to Pittsburgh, I don't find the level of cloudiness that depressing, except during winter. A lot of days you don't even notice it's cloudy unless you look up and see the sky is mostly white instead of blue. The sky doesn't seem notably dark except for the typical times around thunderstorms. If you like sunbathing or something you might feel like you're missing out, but just for walking around and enjoying the outside it's not bad at all.

Pittsburgh satisfies all of your other requirements in spades. There's even some city neighborhoods with good school options in your price range, so you wouldn't have to live in the suburbs if you didn't want to. Keep in mind though that as an older city, most of the housing stock isn't that new. If you love historic houses it can be great, but if you want new construction your options are going to be more limited.

I've lived in a lot of places - Pittsburgh, Philly, Cambridge, NOLA, Austin, SF, etc. - and I have to urge you to give Pittsburgh another shot. It's a VERY decent place to live. Laid back, grounded, beautiful parks, liberal, lots of water (3 rivers meet), etc. Its pretty cheap too. I am very sensitive to weather and I was not at all bothered by it during my 5 years of living there. I would rent an airbnb there for a week or a month to get a feel. My favorite neighborhood is Point Breeze. Enjoy.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 PM

67 posts, read 65,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Well your intuition is strong. There is no such place. You're going to have to remove some items from the list. Depending on the want(s) you remove Denver, Atlanta, Phoenix, or multiple cities in Texas or Florida could be a great fit. Don't move to a city that you aren't sold on. Stay where you are and travel. You might go to a city that was off the radar and fall in love with it.
I'm also looking to relocate and from reading in various forums, I see that Denver is so popular.

Is Denver by any chance the fastest growing city the country? for some reason everyone wants to move there.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:49 PM

436 posts, read 330,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2015 View Post
I'm also looking to relocate and from reading in various forums, I see that Denver is so popular.

Is Denver by any chance the fastest growing city the country? for some reason everyone wants to move there.
Eh... something to do with the greenery : )

Old 05-18-2016, 12:57 PM

67 posts, read 65,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
I'm not sure you're being sarcastic.
Denver has a lot going for it. It's one my top choice for relocation too.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,644,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2015 View Post

Denver seems like a nice place. I'd argue about it being green though, it's on the Plains and I'm sure that's pretty dead-looking in the fall and winters. So far that I know of, the ultimate downfall of the area is housing prices. Colorado appears to still hold a libertarian mindset like Arizona, however more liberal-leaning (there are different types libertarian so we are clear) which I think is another pro. Weather seems good. Hiking would be great there. Colorado ranks high for healthy people and seems to be progressing in all the right ways.

If Colorado had an ocean or major body of water it would be the best state. I'm not a hiker as much as I'm a kayaker, swimmer, etc. and that is my personal issue with the syate's location.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:59 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Has more to do with Denver sporting one of the most diversified economies in the U.S. and a 3.3% unemployment rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or