U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,825,712 times

Advertisements

My personal opinion is forget Chicago too much gun violence. If the temperature is important to you which do you dislike more cold winters or hot summers. Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts will have warmer winters but hotter summers - if you want colder winters but not as hot summers try Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 04:36 PM

87 posts, read 51,892 times
So Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts it is!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 AM

56,687 posts, read 80,995,527 times
I wonder if Delaware due to its proximity to Philadelphia and relatively moderate weather could work as well? Perhaps parts of Wilmington or maybe Newark, which is a college town may be options as well.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:05 AM

56,687 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbg View Post
Are Buffalo, NY and Providence as similar as they look on the Internet? I think they look less chilling than Chicago on wiki. Now that I think about it I wouldn't mind a city or town with a climate like Sofia, we have less and less snow every year. According to my measurements New Jersey might have a place with similar climate (though maritime instead of continental)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofia#Climate
Due to the size of the USA there deffinitely is a place with similar temperatures but maybe the conservatives got there first (joke lol). I think a summer brigade to the States might show me if it's my place. According to astrocartography most good planet lines in my horoscope are in the Americas and the worst one is in Western Europe (Benelux, east of France and west of Germany mostly), while E.Europe is moderate, so there might be some true there.
It would fit the Eastern European and generally the "liberal" part, but the winter weather may be the issue. If you did consider it, look in the northern portion of the metro, as it gets less snow on average.

Also, if you did want something in Upstate NY, I'd say that Albany or that area would be a good fit due to less snowfall on average in comparison to other areas in Upstate NY, its architecture and the social climate would be what you are looking for or at least wouldn't be an issue. Center Square is a neighborhood in the city of Albany that has a pretty liberal vibe on/around Lark Street: Historic Center Square Neighborhood - Albany, NY

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6537...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Lark Street BID | The Heart of Albany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lark_Street

Schenectady and Troy that could serve as other options in the area.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,310,440 times
Quote:
So Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts it is!

I those three states, only Boston and (perhaps) Providence. You are E. European, grew up in a city of 1 million, and have lived in the Netherlands? America will be very disappointing to you if you don't live in a fairly large and prosperous city (urban area of 1 million-plus). Most smaller US cities here lack a lot of Euro-style amenities, have less public transportation or any kind of a city (downtown) life compared to European cities. They've improved over the last 20 years, definitely, and the quality of life in terms of entertainment, food, walkable core is better.

But still -- it's different. Stick with larger cities or college towns. Avoid American suburbs, which for many Europeans seem isolated and depressing, and stick to cities with a good urban vibe. (University towns are also a good option.) You don't have to choose New York or Boston or Chicago, but you must choose wisely or you will wish to return to Europe. Also, you will require a "green" (employment) card and a residence permit.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:58 AM

87 posts, read 51,892 times
I prefer walking to driving, but for longer distances I'd chose driving to public transport for comfort and just about everything. The only thing public that I would prefer over a car is a bus, they're the only kind of public transit I sorta like. But in the US they're terrible or unreliable. I detest trains and subways, tolerate trams once in a while. Here I am like a typical Eastern European guy - we are more like Americans as we like buying cars and save money for buying one unlike Western Europeans who use the same money to travel abroad yet they suffer in public transport and cycling during windy mornings. I also hate cycling and for that I prefer Sofia to the NL, less cyclists due to the hilly terrain. For me as a pedestrian they're a big annoyance. I hated London as the buses took you to the subway stations and you got no other options than to use the subway. They want to make something similar in Sofia but if they do I'll buy a car rather than use the underground and we have one of the newest and cleanest underground networks.

So my preferences for transportation are like: walking, car, bus, trams = OK
cycling, trains, subways = hell NO!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:38 PM

8,742 posts, read 7,697,184 times
Quote:
I prefer walking to driving, but for longer distances I'd chose driving to public transport for comfort and just about everything. The only thing public that I would prefer over a car is a bus, they're the only kind of public transit I sorta like. But in the US they're terrible or unreliable. I detest trains and subways, tolerate trams once in a while. Here I am like a typical Eastern European guy - we are more like Americans as we like buying cars and save money for buying one unlike Western Europeans who use the same money to travel abroad yet they suffer in public transport and cycling during windy mornings. I also hate cycling and for that I prefer Sofia to the NL, less cyclists due to the hilly terrain. For me as a pedestrian they're a big annoyance. I hated London as the buses took you to the subway stations and you got no other options than to use the subway. They want to make something similar in Sofia but if they do I'll buy a car rather than use the underground and we have one of the newest and cleanest underground networks.

So my preferences for transportation are like: walking, car, bus, trams = OK
cycling, trains, subways = hell NO!
This is actually helpful for making suggestions.

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati might be good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or