Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times

Advertisements

I also vote for Chicago. Both sides of my family are eastern European and 1/4 of my family came from the Balkans. For the OP, I'd suggest being careful where he might settle in Chicago due to violence and crime that is primarily centered on the south side of the city. The big trouble in Chicago for the OP is the Winter weather. It's quite cold in Chicago for months on end. Frankly, anywhere around the Great Lakes is going to have long cold Winters. It is difficult to find the weather you prefer both in the Summer and Winter while remaining affordable. Very few places in the US have Summer days at 25C while also not having extremely cold Winters. San Diego is an exception but it's very expensive and you have the threat of earthquakes. Even in San Diego, temps that exceed 25C are not uncommon. Coastal Pacific NW areas (Washington and Oregon) are also pretty moderate all year and those might be a good option for you. However, they too can be pricey. As for being an Eastern European, you shouldn't have a problem along the West Coast but you won't find as much Eastern European cultural community as you would in the Chicago area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,951,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I'm interested in how you are going to get an immigrant (not a tourist) visa. You can't simply "apply" for a green card.
A waste of time to fantasize unless this issue solved.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:54 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,296,849 times
Chicago is not going to work because the OP hates the chilly winters.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
Despite the perception in other parts of the world, Americans are very friendly and accepting of international persons, as long as you are here legally and contributing to society. Far friendlier than anyplace in Europe, IMO, and that's because unilike most of Europe, which is a collection of independent states each with very distinct cultures and ancestries, the United States is a melting pot of persons and cultures from all over the world. The United States would not have made it this far without being open and accepting to outsiders and their unique cultures. Some, especially today in the age of Trump, will argue that the "American culture" that generations of immigrants before embraced and adjusted to is in danger. But reality is, that "culture" has always been a blend of OTHER cultures from every corner of the globe. For the best example of this, you only need to visit New York City where the international cultures literally change block to block. And everybody gets along.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Get the immigration issue resolved then move to Tallahassee Florida.
Tallahassee| VisitFlorida.com

Other places that might be to your liking=
Savannah
Charleston.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:28 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,450,353 times
Why are people naming these cold cities for him to live in when he stated that he doesn't like the cold lol? I personally think Seattle would be your best bet.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Why are people naming these cold cities for him to live in when he stated that he doesn't like the cold lol? I personally think Seattle would be your best bet.
Yeah, because it's so sunny and warm in Seattle!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:15 AM

87 posts, read 74,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Sorry about the gender mixup lol. I would take a look at Providence Rhode Island. It has around 1.6 million people in its urban area though the city population is only 180k. The city is near Boston with most of the amenities that Boston provides with much cheaper rent. Columbus Ohio is another good option. I would say that in the US there isn't as much racism towards eastern Europeans like there is in Europe. Our racism is directed at Latinos :O.
Yeah, there was a TV show I watched as a teen called Providence and it looked lovely, so much greenery. A lot more soul than NY, at least on TV that is. I'll research all suggestions posted in this thread. I am thinking about applying for the green card lottery. I work at a local branch of an American company, maybe I can use that?

Quote:
Far friendlier than anyplace in Europe, IMO
True, I am fed up with the smug vibes I get from fellow Europeans. And they rarely smile, I love smiling people, they make me feel glad I'm alive. I tried Western Europe as in my country I always felt too liberal for the general nationalistic, conservative xenophobic vibes of most people in Europe (people always blame the West, Jews for Bulgaria being crap duh!). I expected Western Europeans to be more accepting, but they are just less open about hating foreigners than people in the Balkans, but they just tolerate and ignore at best, they do not make you feel friendly and welcome in my experience. I've heard that some Americans and Canadians actually embrace foreigners. I was felt offended, ignored, alone. I came here ready to make friends and smiling (like an American lol) yet the face of the guy at the passport services was ;(.

BTW, chilly winters might be OK if mostly dry or rain (I hate snow) but the wind speeds shouldn't be Dutch-like, I prefer slower winds aka in Sofia. I love our last winters in Sofia as we get less snow than before these days. What about Illinois outside of Chicago?
I said 25 C is perfect but I wouldn't mind 30 as well. 35 is my maximum I think, as long as the winter is not -20 C (yep in Sofia that is possible -20 in the winter yet +35 or even 40 C in the summer, that's crazy!)

Last edited by michaelbg; 05-11-2016 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-11-2016, 08:24 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
The OP has an earthquake phobia...Seattle is not a good fit for someone like that.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 AM

87 posts, read 74,887 times
A friend suggested the Midwest, South Cali, East coast and Florida (I know the summers are too hot, but mild winters so I'm sold if I can use A/C during the summer, I hate chilly winds in my face). This friend built a great life in FL but he went with his mother while we were still in high school. Well at least I got an American degree and work for an American based business. Even in California there should be some places where quakes happen less often or are not as dramatic in feel. I will try looking for a map or something.

What's the green spot in California. Also, Florida and the East cost seem safe:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.