U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 PM

87 posts, read 51,855 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
After living a few years in Western Europe I've decided I would try the American culture. I even got a dream that America is calling me lol. Applying for my green card now. I would like for some possible recommendations for based on the info I provide. So let's start:

1. Personal profile: White, 28 M, Eastern European from Bulgaria, grew up in a city with 1 million people, used to like rural places due to nature but after my experience abroad I've found rural people tend to be conservative and hate outsiders/foreigners. They are nice as long as you're from their race/know their language spotlessly, etc. I have a degree from an American university.

2. Political views - I'd say I'm socially liberal, but I'm not really that much into politics. After living in Western Europe I definitely know that one can be a minority and be a lovely person or a white one but a jerk, so I do not judge people on skin color or nationality. I even try not to judge white Protestants despite them being rude to me here in the Netherlands. I'm straight but I am accepting (one of my favorite singers in Bulgaria is a drag queen). I do not play the moral police like conservatives. Not an atheist, more like agnostic/unsure Christian, in modern terms Jesus was a liberal in my view.

3. Despite this I am not a hippie per se, I'm artistic/visual but I do not distrust science. Yet I keep it on a superficial level (no need to get too deep into something I did not take in college and is not my career). For a while I tried to cure my thyroid condition with alternative medicine and New Age woo but that almost destroyed my life as my health got worse so now I steer clear from hippie healers, homeopaths and the like (please, if you do believe in them - fine, keep it civil and on topic ok? ) I rediscovered my long-lost love for science and I quit my interest New Age sh** and conspiracy theories. My thyroid condition requires good doctors.

4. Climate/nature preferences: Not too hot (would hate LA in the summer, about 25 C is perfect for summer), but I hate our chilly winters (-10 to -20 C), so something more moderate maybe? Due to living in the Balkans, I have an earthquake phobia.

So far only I dislike 3 things about the USA and they make me scared:
1. The violence/mass shootings/road rage
2. The racial issues/the moral police-playing (mostly old people and conservatives) that try to shout at you and post hurtful things on the Internet. I also include some racist blacks in this.
3. Not owning your house - I think living on mortgage is not very attractive and I prefer using cash as I turn into a shopaholic when I use plastic.

Apart from that I like everything else and I grew mostly on US culture. Online I prefer to communicate with US people than fellow Bulgarians or other Europeans, but I hate the trend of extremely right-wing people to overtake every forum.

Last edited by michaelbg; 05-09-2016 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:36 PM

8,729 posts, read 7,682,608 times
Philly

Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Chicago comes to mind.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:31 PM

404 posts, read 738,259 times
Boston

Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,440,738 times
I'm interested in how you are going to get an immigrant (not a tourist) visa. You can't simply "apply" for a green card.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,356,080 times
OP said she liked rural areas. Take a look at Vermont. It's a nice area, fairly rural, and very liberal. There isn't much crime there and little to no racial tensions (because 98% of the population is white ). The only downside would be the winters but the summers are great. Also take a look at Western Massachusetts, similar to Vermont in many aspects. Its more diverse than Vermont which might be more comferting to the OP. The OP said she liked rural areas so i'm not sure that places like Philly or Chicago would be his/her cup of tea.

As far as violence/mass shootings/road rage the chances you are involved in these incidences is very slim no matter where in the US you live. Most violence in the US is between people who know each other. I don't think you will have any issue with road rage, if someone gets angry at you just back off and ignore them.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:24 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
OP said she liked rural areas. Take a look at Vermont. It's a nice area, fairly rural, and very liberal. There isn't much crime there and little to no racial tensions (because 98% of the population is white ). The only downside would be the winters but the summers are great. Also take a look at Western Massachusetts, similar to Vermont in many aspects. Its more diverse than Vermont which might be more comferting to the OP. The OP said she liked rural areas so i'm not sure that places like Philly or Chicago would be his/her cup of tea.

As far as violence/mass shootings/road rage the chances you are involved in these incidences is very slim no matter where in the US you live. Most violence in the US is between people who know each other. I don't think you will have any issue with road rage, if someone gets angry at you just back off and ignore them.
She said used to like rural areas. I think her preference is more urban locales.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:24 AM

87 posts, read 51,855 times
LOL, I am a he but thanks anyway for all your suggestions! I think media portrays us E.E. guys as brutes but I'm quite shy and nothing like that. I still have hard time approaching girls for example.

Anyway, I said I liked rural areas like villages but that was while in my own country... and then I went abroad where people would shun me when they found out "I'm not from there". And they were pretty blunt about it which was very offensive.

They would totally ignore the person of color next to me or the girl wearing a veil (despite them being born in the Netherlands and speaking perfect Dutch) and ask me something because my skin is pale white and I easily blend in with the locals. When I would speak broken Dutch they would make funny offensive gestures of dismissal and not let me finish and go on their way still not asking the person next to me. That happened more than a few times. My view of the Dutch as accepting bunch was shattered. When I moved to a big city in the Catholic parts of the Netherlands people turned out to be more accepting and I felt relieved (that small town was in the Protestant part BUT it was a university town so it's not like they weren't used to foreigners).

Moreover, I was astonished when a British couple would ***** to me about them "damn E.Europeans stealing our jobs". They were of Jewish descent, yes descendants of the people facing discrimination all over the world! So I'm done with Europe! I've heard Canadians are even more accepting than US Americans, but the climate there is meh, so I decided a liberal area in the USA would be better. I know not all liberals are accepting per se, but I've noticed that most bigots/xenophobes tend to be ultra conservative or/and religious of any religion I would say. (Sorry if I offend but my personal observations lead me to this conclusion).

I don't mind urban settings, but I think small urban is better, e.g. like my home place Sofia. It has about 1.5 million inhabitants and I think that was the perfect size - big enough to have malls and all kind of stuff, yet with the option to escape the frantic noise - lots of parks, etc. Chicago and NY are huge in comparison. But maybe it depends on the areas? I know I prefer driving/buses or even walking to packed subways.

Last edited by michaelbg; 05-10-2016 at 04:13 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 04:22 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,356,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbg View Post
LOL, I am a he but thanks anyway for all your suggestions! I think media portrays us E.E. guys as brutes but I'm quite shy and nothing like that. I still have hard time approaching girls for example.

Anyway, I said I liked rural areas like villages but that was while in my own country... and then I went abroad where people would shun me when they found out "I'm not from there". And they were pretty blunt about it which was very offensive.

They would totally ignore the person of color next to me or the girl wearing a veil (despite them being born in the Netherlands and speaking perfect Dutch) and ask me something because my skin is pale white and I easily blend in with the locals. When I would speak broken Dutch they would make funny offensive gestures of dismissal and not let me finish and go on their way still not asking the person next to me. That happened more than a few times. My view of the Dutch as accepting bunch was shattered. When I moved to a big city in the Catholic parts of the Netherlands people turned out to be more accepting and I felt relieved (that small town was in the Protestant part BUT it was a university town so it's not like they weren't used to foreigners).

Moreover, I was astonished when a British couple would ***** to me about them "damn E.Europeans stealing our jobs". They were of Jewish descent, yes descendants of the people facing discrimination all over the world! So I'm done with Europe! I've heard Canadians are even more accepting than US Americans, but the climate there is meh, so I decided a liberal area in the USA would be better. I know not all liberals are accepting per se, but I've noticed that most bigots/xenophobes tend to be ultra conservative or/and religious of any religion I would say. (Sorry if I offend but my personal observations lead me to this conclusion).

I don't mind urban settings, but I think small urban is better, e.g. like my home place Sofia. It has about 1.5 million inhabitants and I think that was the perfect size - big enough to have malls and all kind of stuff, yet with the option to escape the frantic noise - lots of parks, etc. Chicago and NY are huge in comparison. But maybe it depends on the areas? I know I prefer driving/buses or even walking to packed subways.
Sorry about the gender mixup lol. I would take a look at Providence Rhode Island. It has around 1.6 million people in its urban area though the city population is only 180k. The city is near Boston with most of the amenities that Boston provides with much cheaper rent. Columbus Ohio is another good option. I would say that in the US there isn't as much racism towards eastern Europeans like there is in Europe. Our racism is directed at Latinos :O.

Last edited by tysmith95; 05-10-2016 at 04:34 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 06:22 AM

567 posts, read 329,671 times
Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or