Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,742,711 times

Advertisements

Seattle for instance is known as a hip, funky, eclectic enclave of art, live music, and individualism. While that description was probably more accurate in the 1990s than it is today, there is still an element of that there. Likewise with Portland, it's known as a hipster mecca as portrayed by the show Portlandia. Now that isn't all there is to Portland but there is definitely truth to it. Phoenix is known for sprawling, bland suburbia and yes, that is a large part of Phoenix (though it isn't all the city offers). Oklahoma City is known for its hyper-conservatism and tornadoes and that is a huge part of the city's identity.

A lot of times on City-Data people are quick to point out stereotypes that aren't accurate, especially when it comes to places that have a more negative perception. That can also be said for places with positive perceptions like Seattle and San Francisco or Austin.

However, do you think that all city stereotypes have at least an element of accuracy to them? I personally believe that stereotypes tend to overemphasize certain qualities of a place while ignoring aspects of it that contradict the stereotype, but overall there is at least some truth to all city stereotypes. Of course, anywhere you go, you are likely to find a community or part of a city that defies the stereotype, especially for larger metro areas. I think its a simplistic way to judge cities by going off the stereotypes alone, but they can definitely give a person a general idea of what to expect.

Are there any cities out there that completely defy their stereotype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 02:07 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
People here still seem to think San Francisco is cool and bohemian, when neither is true anymore. Oakland is the "cool" city in the Bay Area. Chicago's crime is and actually as bad as people seem to think it is. Believe it or not, Chicago's violent crime rate is lower than Nashville's. To be honest, I think a lot of city stereotypes are based on racial stereotypes.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:21 PM

18,967 posts, read 32,448,239 times
Yes there is some truth to them or they wouldn't exist.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:23 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,328,839 times
Boston really is not as tough a place as Ben Affleck wants you to think it is. People are still definitely a-holes, but not in a violent way. They just ignore you all the time.

Rust Belt cities have some really down to earth, nice people, even though the media just portrays them as depressing places. Better food than you'd expect too.

Southern cities are not full of idiot racists. I have no southern background at all to me, but stereotypes about the south have always bothered me. I've never found them to be very accurate.

Those are just a few that come to mind. Always better to experience a place yourself than to rely on stereotypes. Some will definitely turn out to be pretty true, but certainly not all.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:52 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,859,719 times
Youngstown - The rep is the town is a war zone run by gangs and the mafia and a person better not enter the city limits without riding in a tank. I haven't had a bad experience there. I've seen and experienced far more violence over here in Pittsburgh. The suburbs of Rust Belt Ohio are some of the best in the country.

NY - The typical New Yorker stereotype. Some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Flyover Midwest - boring. Coming from the Appalachians, I love the open space and there is so much sky! It's kind of different to be able to see for miles in any direction.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 918,121 times
Some people think Los Angeles has all the glitz, glamour, stars, and beautiful people. I personally think it's all one big cesspool.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:15 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,829,837 times
Phoenix stereotype is "sprawling-bland suburbia" is true. It is a very, very spread-out metro area and it is very bland.

I would say 90% of the metropolitan area that is devoloped is beige, single family homes. Most of the devolopments are 2,000 square foot single-level homes with 4 bedrooms and 2-3 bathrooms on 1/8 acre lots.

They do have mansions and tiny homes but by and large a majority of homes are of similar size with similar postage stamp yards.

There are alot of people who love the set-up Phoenix because it is probubly the least dense or crowded metropolitan area of 4 million people in the devoloped world.

At ground level, Phoenix seems deserted. They have some busy roads, but there is very little traffic on the roads for a city of it's size. There is hardly any foot traffic either.

Just to illustrate to extent of sprawl in Phoenix. The Anthem area of North Phoenix is the 44000 block North. The Ahwataukee area in South Phoenix is 17000 block South. That is just the city of Phoenix proper.

Suprise, AZ to Arizona City, AZ which is where the sprawl begins and ends is 87 miles. From Northwest to Southeast.

It is 103 miles on the interstate from New River, AZ to Arizona City, AZ which is sprawl.

Phoenix is so massive that it just seems to go for ever eternity.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,309,701 times
the stereotypes were made by people who hate that city usually, america is a very transient place. most big cities are made up by alot of people from various regions

Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,960,516 times
Chicago is not really more windy than many other cities. It was named the Windy City because of its blowhard politicians.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:36 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,733,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Phoenix stereotype is "sprawling-bland suburbia" is true. It is a very, very spread-out metro area and it is very bland.

I would say 90% of the metropolitan area that is devoloped is beige, single family homes. Most of the devolopments are 2,000 square foot single-level homes with 4 bedrooms and 2-3 bathrooms on 1/8 acre lots.

They do have mansions and tiny homes but by and large a majority of homes are of similar size with similar postage stamp yards.

There are alot of people who love the set-up Phoenix because it is probubly the least dense or crowded metropolitan area of 4 million people in the devoloped world.

At ground level, Phoenix seems deserted. They have some busy roads, but there is very little traffic on the roads for a city of it's size. There is hardly any foot traffic either.

Just to illustrate to extent of sprawl in Phoenix. The Anthem area of North Phoenix is the 44000 block North. The Ahwataukee area in South Phoenix is 17000 block South. That is just the city of Phoenix proper.

Suprise, AZ to Arizona City, AZ which is where the sprawl begins and ends is 87 miles. From Northwest to Southeast.

It is 103 miles on the interstate from New River, AZ to Arizona City, AZ which is sprawl.

Phoenix is so massive that it just seems to go for ever eternity.
Well, I'm glad to see you are back to posting about Phoenix again.

Honestly, yes. Stereotypes had to be created somehow... At one point there was probably someone who said, "huh, that's weird, almost every blonde I met was dumb... That must mean all blondes are dumb!" And it spread like wildfire. Someone, somewhere, made a connection that everyone else could believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.