U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:57 PM

2,997 posts, read 2,155,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Most black Californians are moving south.
Do you mean to say more than half of all black Californians are moving to the South? That must be like an actual exodus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,576,166 times
I moved eight years ago, from the IE to Oklahoma. I still don't take the blue skies and breathable air for granted. I could buy a house, small but a house and one I could afford. Forget all of that in the IE. Maybe even breating on a really really bad smoggy day.

My son and his wife moved to Utah a year or so ago. They really like it there and he found a job he couldn't have in California. He tried there long enough. Several other friends from our group in the IE have moved since as well, and are happy where they went.

I still hate storm season, but at least its only part of the year. But nobody is in a hurry, and the lack of rush makes me feel quite comfortable.

At this point, I don't really even want to go out to socal to visit the people still there. In an odd way, socal is still a sort of home, from the past. I'm not sure I would feel the same as I did about the good places since they aren't the same anymore.

I wonder how many people come back and are surprised that the places they missed don't seem to be there anymore, or they seem to be very different now, and when they go home they go *home*.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:17 AM

4,327 posts, read 920,833 times
I'm a California native and I have no desire to live anywhere else, but I have relatives that moved to Oregon a few years ago and they seem to like it there a lot.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:40 AM

566 posts, read 566,162 times
Pacific Northwest. Specifically Seattle, which is resembling California more than its original self.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:03 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,094,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I left Cali 16 years ago for Nevada. Met and married a man from North Carolina. We both want to get out of Nevada too! We're shopping ideas. I even consider moving back but I'm sure that thinking is nonsense. How has it been living there for the past decade? Has anything gotten better or has it just gotten more crowded? Is the traffic the main reason you want out? I've been gone so long, I've become detached from the plight of Californians. I left because I couldn't make it on my own at the time. The financial picture is pretty sweet but I don't want to do something stupid and give my good fortunes away to the anvil aka California taxation.

We're thinking of returning to NC but from my opinion there is nothing on the east coast comparable to the west coast. Hope I don't offend anyone. I'm just opening up the conversation in a new direction
We're in South Orange county, where it's very suburban and safe. Hubby makes a respectable salary, and I've always worked part time. To "live the dream" here though, you have to have two good incomes or one really big one these days. We found a sweet spot in an older apartment complex and we've stayed put. Don't want to be house poor by buying a condo.

But there are times when we really crave more space than our one bedroom apartment, and would love our own four walls so we dont have to smell our neighbor's cooking or smoking... and other stuff that goes with apartment living. But I can't complain too much. Life is pretty simple.

And yup, it's definately getting more crowded. There's been more "beehive" apartments going up lately. There's one building that replaced a closed furniture store on a street we take to get to the freeway, and it will add hundreds of cars to that small stretch of road.

We have family and friends in LA county and the traffic seems to get worse every year.
About 2 weeks ago I drove up to see my sister and my neice for my sister's birthday.
The trip is 90 miles one way. Without traffic late at night it will usually take an hour and a half. But during.the day it's getting imposssible. It was a day trip so I left "after the worst of traffic" at 9am. I got there at noon. We had a good time, but kept it brief and I left at 3 pm. It took 4 hours to get home.

Also while the beach is nice, we really don't spend time there. We like hiking in mountains and forests. My husband wouldn't even mind an hour or so commute if there was a small town to live in, but the Inland empire doesn't appeal. Even hotter and smoggier and just too deserty for us. I could easily live in England, but it's just too far, and my husband has no desire to move back there.
Well, don't want to be too much of a complainer, ha ha, but I'm ready for some solitude.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:19 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,658,600 times
Well, they start by invading the nearby neighboring states until the prices almost match California, then they expand their radius. Some (I would say a minority of who move out of state) have a bit more adventure in them and will skip all that entirely and go straight somewhere much farther away. These Californians are a rare breed, they don't view California as a utopia so they don't really have a desire to be near it or change wherever they move to to be like California because of the "rosy glasses" viewpoint of their home state.

Proof of that is the state I live in if you're wondering. Arizona once had a unique culture of its own, but that was completely ruined a while ago now.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:50 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,094,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In my part of California, a lot of people you meet who are planning to leave the state either seem to be moving to Hawaii or to another country altogether including, but not limited to Australia, Thailand, Singapore, France, Italy, etc.

I don't think I live in the part of California that sends a lot of people to Arizona and Nevada. I would guess that's the Inland Empire, High Desert and Central Valley.
Interesting... I'm guessing your part of California might be the Bay area or the like? Some people who feel disillusioned with America, would have to have the means to leave the counrty I would imagine.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:44 AM

185 posts, read 128,487 times
Places like Reno and Sacramento are also becoming very expenses to rent and buy in both are refugee cities from people flooding from the Bay Area

Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 AM

4,407 posts, read 4,618,253 times
They have actual stats on this. Texas is #1. Other popular states for Californians to migrate to are NV , AZ, OR , WA, CO, and ID.
Roughly 5 million people left California in the last decade. See where they went | The Sacramento Bee

Old 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,831,684 times
My family left the Silicon Valley decades ago with my dad's transfer to Raleigh and Research Triangle Park. I see plenty of CA license plates in Raleigh and increasingly in South Florida as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or