U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 PM

3,149 posts, read 3,084,775 times

Advertisements

Just curious if you're from California and planning to move out of state or have moved. If you have, how's it working out?
I know a few people who moved to different areas in Wisconsin and are really happy there. One is a young family who moved to Madison and fits right in, (the husband spent his childhood in Buffalo NY so snow isn't a big deal)
The other is an older couple who moved to be closer to grandchildren. They love it there, wife does say though that she could be a snow bird for a couple of months.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:34 PM

185 posts, read 128,123 times
There's only 4 places any of them are going and pretty much anywhere in the country is going , it's quite simple

Austin , Dallas , Portland and Denver

Old 05-09-2016, 07:05 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times
I'm guessing that's a joke.

Obviously many other places are getting a lot of incoming Californians. Here in Seattle we're getting a ton, including a large wave of tech people and companies. Phoenix and Las Vegas are two other obvious ones.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 PM

3,149 posts, read 3,084,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
There's only 4 places any of them are going and pretty much anywhere in the country is going , it's quite simple

Austin , Dallas , Portland and Denver
I was hearing a lot about Austin about 5 years ago, then Denver and now I hear Seattle a lot.
I sure wouldn't cry if my techie hubs got transferred or found a job in Washington. I hide from the So Cal sun and my husband is from England so rain doesn't bother him at all.

Isn't Dallas the place Californians move to when the company they work for uproots and seeks greener economic pastures? Kind of a forced relocation?
That's what happened to a friend of ours. He has since moved back to California, got married with children and now has his sights on Seattle.

I guess we'd be stuck with the larger metro areas because of his profession, but if that weren't an issue we consider more offbeat places like the Upper Peninsula or other places.
Right now we're just having fun thinking about it since we still have family ties here and he really loves his job. But there are times when we really want to get out of the crowds!

Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 PM

3,785 posts, read 6,517,375 times
Most black Californians are moving south.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:05 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
Everywhere. The western states are getting a ton obviously. AZ, NV, WA, OR, ID, CO, UT, MT, TX all get a lot. Even MO and AR get a lot of Californians nowadays. Many go to retire in the Ozarks but a lot of them like me also to the cities like KC. I've met a ton of other people who moved to KC from California here.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,450,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I was hearing a lot about Austin about 5 years ago, then Denver and now I hear Seattle a lot.
I sure wouldn't cry if my techie hubs got transferred or found a job in Washington. I hide from the So Cal sun and my husband is from England so rain doesn't bother him at all.

Isn't Dallas the place Californians move to when the company they work for uproots and seeks greener economic pastures? Kind of a forced relocation?
That's what happened to a friend of ours. He has since moved back to California, got married with children and now has his sights on Seattle.

I guess we'd be stuck with the larger metro areas because of his profession, but if that weren't an issue we consider more offbeat places like the Upper Peninsula or other places.
Right now we're just having fun thinking about it since we still have family ties here and he really loves his job. But there are times when we really want to get out of the crowds!
I left Cali 16 years ago for Nevada. Met and married a man from North Carolina. We both want to get out of Nevada too! We're shopping ideas. I even consider moving back but I'm sure that thinking is nonsense. How has it been living there for the past decade? Has anything gotten better or has it just gotten more crowded? Is the traffic the main reason you want out? I've been gone so long, I've become detached from the plight of Californians. I left because I couldn't make it on my own at the time. The financial picture is pretty sweet but I don't want to do something stupid and give my good fortunes away to the anvil aka California taxation.

We're thinking of returning to NC but from my opinion there is nothing on the east coast comparable to the west coast. Hope I don't offend anyone. I'm just opening up the conversation in a new direction

Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 PM

1,011 posts, read 639,316 times
In my part of California, a lot of people you meet who are planning to leave the state either seem to be moving to Hawaii or to another country altogether including, but not limited to Australia, Thailand, Singapore, France, Italy, etc.

I don't think I live in the part of California that sends a lot of people to Arizona and Nevada. I would guess that's the Inland Empire, High Desert and Central Valley.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Most black Californians are moving south.
To Mexico?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:42 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times
Obviously "most" is wrong based on the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or