U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 AM

130 posts, read 85,992 times

Advertisements

Sht every time i see a movie about country life simple frigging life in a small town and simple girls who dont go crazy about money or at least poor i hate living in Los Angeles or any city with its stupid concrete jungles, pings and gangbusters, bums, traffic, helicopters, planes, smog, millions of people, arts districts, freeways, dirt and other good stuff every city has.

I cannot give you an example right now but i love how country life looks in movies Hatchet and Jeepers Creepers lol i know this is horror movies but aside from that the country depicted there is great its what i want for my life!

For me real American life is a country life! I want to have a pickup truck not a Ferrari i care less about showing off, i want to be free!

I care less about money and cars and other crap wearing a suit and washing my bosses underwear every day to afford this frigging leased car and a all the sht i don't need.

No i am not talking about having farm and a big field of corn and other crap i mean just being away from all the city crap and be free.

I know there's thousands of people who will read this and say i am out of my mind! OMG how can someone want that versus living in some downtown LOFT and handing out in arts district restaurant pretending their life have some meaning, socializing with their "friends" while having a cup of tea, wow i wonder if they liked that if that was not propagandized on TV so much.

No i am not suicidal or depressed just want to put it in writting before i forgot so pls dont delete it. Its not a scream of my soul i want it more than i want anything at moment, does anyone feel me?

Last edited by JMT; 05-10-2016 at 04:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 AM

1,592 posts, read 894,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovich View Post
wearing a suit and washing my bosses underwear every day to afford this frigging leased car...

...does anyone feel me?
The problem is finding a job in your field (especially if you're very specialized) that's out in the country, that can be a challenge.

However, if you're willing to take any job and don't give a crap, I'd google lowest property tax states, move where it's country, take any crap job, buy a beat up pickup, buy a beat up old house.

But yeah, nobody really loves heavy city traffic and the other hassles that go with city life.

Last edited by svendrell; 05-10-2016 at 01:01 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 02:02 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,097,189 times
Quote:

does anyone feel me?
Yup, I hear ya!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 AM

4,317 posts, read 2,543,789 times
You can buy my house. Four bedroom plus office and unfinished basement overlooking Lake Michigan on 2.5 acres with a four stall barn in Upper Michigan. We don't farm, we just use the barn to store our camper, boat and fourwheeler.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM

4,407 posts, read 4,621,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
The problem is finding a job in your field (especially if you're very specialized) that's out in the country, that can be a challenge.

However, if you're willing to take any job and don't give a crap, I'd google lowest property tax states, move where it's country, take any crap job, buy a beat up pickup, buy a beat up old house.

But yeah, nobody really loves heavy city traffic and the other hassles that go with city life.
Some of the lowest unemployment rates are in small town and rural areas. Examples include most of North Dakota (even outside the oil patch) and Nebraska.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,137,120 times
Of course a Hollywood version of country life could be somewhat removed from what it actually is.

Real life in the sticks can come with difficult to find employment, working for local or state government and all its red tape, or if you can work via internet, the very real possibility that high speed net access can't be found where you want to live. Isolation removes a lot of crap of daily city life, but can also bring on monoteny of a grand scale. Fishing, rock collecting, hiking and biking, reading, playing cards, gardening may become primary recreation activities. There may not be a quick run down to the corner store because you forgot something, but a hour round trip trek to replace that item. If items can be found close, expect prices to be somewhat to considerably higher for bringing them off the beaten path. Same goes for gas prices, heating costs, etc. Socially be ready for most your neighbors to know your business. Be ready to deal with at least a few curmudgens who don't want you there and the possibility that if there are singles even available near by, you may not find them even remotely attractive.

Country life can be great, but it is a radical change from city life and not for everyone, especially compared to LA.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:53 AM

1,592 posts, read 894,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Some of the lowest unemployment rates are in small town and rural areas. Examples include most of North Dakota (even outside the oil patch) and Nebraska.
I think you need to reread my post.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:58 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,413,795 times
I hear ya! I've never not lived in a city (born/raised in Philly and lived in NYC) but would like to try living a more self-sufficient lifestyle in the country at some point. Not sure where exactly yet, but I have time to decide-I'm thinking 5-10 years down the line.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:12 PM

243 posts, read 149,859 times
Quote:
does anyone feel me?
Yup! Sure do!

I grew up in the rural midwest, living alongside the cows, whitetails, pheasants, squirrels, raccoons and the occasional possum. We fished. We hunted. Life was simple and the pace was slow. We had time for each other. There was no internet. We didn't know what a Ferrari was. Our phone was on a party line.

I want to get back to that. All I want is a little cabin somewhere away from cities, a good dog, and a pickup truck. That's not much to ask of life, is it?

Old 05-10-2016, 01:34 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,477,553 times
Inyokern, CA OP.

You can pick up a McJob in Ridgecrest, and ride quads/dirtbikes, go camping, go to the lake, shoot guns off (WARNING: description turns here), find a baby-mama (possibly with kids already), get on welfare/SNAP, get drunk (and/or some variation of high), and complain about every non-R politician/illegals/minorities/etc. from the back of your trailer every weekend. You'll make frequent trips to Bakersfield or Mojave to pick up your loser friends from jail (hopefully you don't go yourself), you can even book-end those trips with jaunts to the mall for non-Wal-Mart clothes/etc.

Source:
I lived in that area for 3 years. Unfortunately, the overwhelming social stratum consists of people with lower-class aspirations. I liken it to circling a toilet for eternity. HOWEVER (description turning back here), there are positives for which I am forever grateful:
-you don't have to work very hard, as housing/etc is very cheap
-the people are tough to crack, but you WILL have friends for life
-it almost never rains, snows 0.2 times per year.
-it is sunny and/or hot the vast majority of the time
-mountain/desert views galore
-only 3 hours from that "horrible" LA, so you can tail between legs it back any time you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.