U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 05:47 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,846 times

Advertisements

I know CD tends to have a lot of liberal posters who complain about perfect-looking suburbs and suburbanites, but I actually WANT to live in those areas. I am definitely more of the All-American suburban girl next door, and over the years I've realized that I've been living in the wrong areas. I've been living in mountain towns with too many liberals, hipsters, and alternative types and I'm tired of seeing full body tattoos, gaged ears, etc. Tired of grungy neighborhoods with sloppy-looking, unappealing people. Not interested in dating hipster baristas whose only aspiration in life is working at a coffee shop for $15/hr and playing with their band after work. What ever happened to clean-cut people who go to work in a suit and tie every day and come home to their families? Any cities or major suburbs that have singles, with decent-looking faces, who are looking to have such productive lives? I am probably going to be searching for an insurance adjuster job that pays $40K-50K/yr (gasp! so mainstream and boring! scandalous, I know), so it has to have affordable rentals for that income.

Yes, this is a serious question. I really want to know where I would fit in. If you are offended I'm sorry, but you don't need to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 05:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Phoenix is pretty cookie cutter. Affordable on that salary too. Close enough to mountains when you want them. Many people say dating in Phoenix is good. Scottsdale tends to rank high for attractive men from what I've seen, though it really depends on what you're into.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
What ever happened to clean-cut people who go to work in a suit and tie every day and come home to their families?
I think you need to take a time machine back to the 1950s. That doesn't really exist anymore.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:27 PM

473 posts, read 358,562 times
Lots of cities have cookie cutter suburbs. Maybe give us some more information to help narrow it down? People are going to be most conservative in the South (using that word from a lifestyle perspective as well as a political one), the Plain States and parts of the Midwest. That's a huge swath of the country though. Any other preferences besides mass conformism and Father Knows Best values?

Old 05-16-2016, 02:00 AM

78,529 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
I know CD tends to have a lot of liberal posters who complain about perfect-looking suburbs and suburbanites, but I actually WANT to live in those areas. I am definitely more of the All-American suburban girl next door, and over the years I've realized that I've been living in the wrong areas. I've been living in mountain towns with too many liberals, hipsters, and alternative types and I'm tired of seeing full body tattoos, gaged ears, etc. Tired of grungy neighborhoods with sloppy-looking, unappealing people. Not interested in dating hipster baristas whose only aspiration in life is working at a coffee shop for $15/hr and playing with their band after work. What ever happened to clean-cut people who go to work in a suit and tie every day and come home to their families? Any cities or major suburbs that have singles, with decent-looking faces, who are looking to have such productive lives? I am probably going to be searching for an insurance adjuster job that pays $40K-50K/yr (gasp! so mainstream and boring! scandalous, I know), so it has to have affordable rentals for that income.

Yes, this is a serious question. I really want to know where I would fit in. If you are offended I'm sorry, but you don't need to reply.
What does liberal/conservative politics have to do with whether you like living in the suburbs or not?

There aren't too many workplaces left that require a suit and tie, anymore. But I agree, dressing for the office is nice. I'm old-fashioned. But I don't know anyplace that's as you describe that's actually affordable.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What does liberal/conservative politics have to do with whether you like living in the suburbs or not?

There aren't too many workplaces left that require a suit and tie, anymore. But I agree, dressing for the office is nice. I'm old-fashioned. But I don't know anyplace that's as you describe that's actually affordable.
Liberals tend to be against anything that "looks perfect" or upper class. Liberals usually don't like suburban living and the ones that do are usually latte liberals.

Overall, I just want to get away from this hipster/unambitious deadbeat culture that seems to be prevalent where ever singles are today. Where do ambitious singles who aren't covered in tattoos live? I feel like I am the only single in my 20's who doesn't have a tattoo or multiple facial piercings and actually wants to make a productive salary.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
You are not alone. City life has lost it's appeal on me. For the first time, I am also interested in suburb or exurb living with conservatives.

Check out the Ohio suburbs, also west of Ohio. The exurbs of smaller NY cities.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:59 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:

The DC suburbs in Northern Virginia are very much what you describe. Arlington neighborhoods like Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square and Ballston....a bit further out in places like Falls Church, Tysons Corner and the historic town of Alexandria in neighborhoods like Old Town (even though not suburban cookie cutter, pretty much zero hipster identity) and Del Ray.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:33 AM

29,880 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The DC suburbs in Northern Virginia are very much what you describe. Arlington neighborhoods like Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square and Ballston....a bit further out in places like Falls Church, Tysons Corner and the historic town of Alexandria in neighborhoods like Old Town (even though not suburban cookie cutter, pretty much zero hipster identity) and Del Ray.
Yeah, but this part of the OP's post pretty much rules out the DC area: I am probably going to be searching for an insurance adjuster job that pays $40K-50K/yr (gasp! so mainstream and boring! scandalous, I know), so it has to have affordable rentals for that income.

Personally, I think the OP should look at the Sunbelt metros: Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, DFW, etc. The suburbs will have pretty much what he/she is looking for.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:58 AM

6,552 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Suburban DFW is filled with hipster kryptonite. "Master Planned Communities," big box stores, and malls galore. Granted, it's not "cheap" anymore. Median price on new construction is around 300k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.