Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:18 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times

Advertisements

I guess none of you have ever driven through Nebraska on I-80 from either direction. It's very flat and I'm surprised it came in at 20 in that article which was posted. Honestly, there's a 3 ½ hour stretch on 80 where one feels like the car isn't even moving, the terrain is so unchanging. It can really mess with your mind, especially if you're a bit tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 11:21 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
It's not all like that, but there are definitely quite a few areas like you see in the photos, including on the west side of Austin where people really live the good life, so to speak. Even people who have lived here all their lives have never explored all of the Hill Country, or if they do, they're very surprised.

There are parts of the Hill Country that have very good fall color, particularly in the canyons and along the creeks and rivers. Some areas have a lot of maples. Like anywhere, the weather has to be correct for the color to be good, so some years are better than others.

If you visit, go in the spring (for flowers) or fall. Summer is way too hot, and nights are cold enough in the winter to brown out the grasses. Things are much greener during the spring or fall.
On google maps street view I was looking around Tarpley, and some of those valley roads look just like some in NY/PA (topographically speaking).

It may be a small area of TX, but what a gem!

Old 06-18-2016, 11:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
On google maps street view I was looking around Tarpley, and some of those valley roads look just like some in NY/PA (topographically speaking).

It may be a small area of TX, but what a gem!
It's a small area percentage-wise, but still a large area because the state is so large. If you drive along a trajectory to the southwest of Austin, you're in the hill country for about 160 miles.

The Tarpley, Vanderpool, Leakey, Bandera areas are my favorites. Lots of retirees from all over the country, but it's so remote that they find themselves driving to San Antonio or Austin for medical appointments a couple of times per week. It's better to have just a weekend home in the area.

Check out Fredericksburg, a German town in the general area that is very touristy. Enchanted Rock is nearby, a favorite of hikers.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I guess none of you have ever driven through Nebraska on I-80 from either direction. It's very flat and I'm surprised it came in at 20 in that article which was posted. Honestly, there's a 3 ½ hour stretch on 80 where one feels like the car isn't even moving, the terrain is so unchanging. It can really mess with your mind, especially if you're a bit tired.
Yeah, but you also have places like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/DEFhhyBViwm

And this:

https://goo.gl/maps/JhddojK1HLv

And:

https://goo.gl/maps/FH1ogS7kNKA2

https://goo.gl/maps/7xtfHPjQzs42

Not exactly mountains, but certainly hilly.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:33 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Wow...I didn't know. Thanks for the Nebraska links.

This country is full of surprises.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Wow...I didn't know. Thanks for the Nebraska links.

This country is full of surprises.
Google street view has been a God send for the travel hungry/curious like myself.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:51 AM

447 posts, read 496,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
IMO, my vote would go to Florida, Illinois and Indiana as being the top three flattest. With the exception of a few areas, all 3 of these states are flat as a pancake. Oklahoma might also make the list with the exception of Northeastern Oklahoma...driving west on I-40 from Oklahoma City I've never seen anything so depressingly flat and boring. I would probably also vote Michigan and much of Minnesota as being pretty darn flat as well. Your choices for the flattest states in America? Please elaborate.
A side from the Detroit area, Michigan is anything but flat. The entire state is rolling hills that were carved out by glaciers cutting away an ancient mountain range. There are mountains in the UP.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
A side from the Detroit area, Michigan is anything but flat. The entire state is rolling hills that were carved out by glaciers cutting away an ancient mountain range. There are mountains in the UP.
Actually a lot of Michigan is flat. Even some of its "hilly" areas don't amount to much until you are pretty far north.

Now once you are nearing/in the UP there are some impressive hills up there. No mountains though. There aren't any proper mountains in the Midwest.

Even here where I live in the Alleghenies there are many peaks that reach near or just over 2000 feet from a base of about 400-600 feet. As amazing as our views are and as isolated as some valleys here can be, these are all Appalachian foot hills. The proper mountains are south and east of me (Catskills/Adirondacks/Blue Ridge).

That aside, northern Michigan is pretty legit hilly and cliffy. Especially parts of the UP where some views can rival the Hocking hills in Ohio.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:56 PM

46 posts, read 45,647 times
Florida is a pretty dang flat place.

There should be an asterisk next to Kansas on those lists...eastern Kansas isn't all that flat. Far from it, I'd even say. Western Kansas= very flat.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:19 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop7886 View Post
Florida is a pretty dang flat place.

There should be an asterisk next to Kansas on those lists...eastern Kansas isn't all that flat. Far from it, I'd even say. Western Kansas= very flat.
Mount Sunflower, on the Colorado border, the highest point in Kansas: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt...m1!1e4!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.