Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 12:28 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Greenville and upstate are redneck areas of the state. Charleston and the coast are the best part of SC. People in the upstate joke about Charleston because they are so jealous . They can't stand the popularity of the oldest and best city.
i can assure you nobody in Gville is jealous of Rivers Avenue, Sam Rittenburg, Savannah Highway, Ashley Phosphate road, etc. If Chucktown wasn't near the beach but the downtown was the same, few people would care about it, in my view. I think it is a decent place to live, but very overrated, mostly by people who have not lived there and or did not grow up elsewhere in the state.

I prefer some old mixed in with a good bit of new. Downtown Gville has a good balance, downtown Charleston is mostly old. Charleston feels kind of stuck in the past, and it kind of hard to escape hearing about the slavery history, civil war, etc. As a native of SC, i'm tired of hearing about that. Gville has a different type of history.

Gville is easily as popular in the Charleston within the state, maybe not as much up north and elsewhere but that is simply because they haven't been there, and/or it is not next to the beach.

there are people who move to Gville just because they like the downtown so much. it is unique.

Chucktown is so flat, and so many pine trees compared to Gville. I like more hardwoods and the fall color and the rolling hills, as well as seeing the majestic Blue Ridge mountains in the distance. I can go hiking in several different spots including in western NC. there are 4 lakes nearby, 2 right at the base of the mountains with clear water, and whitewater rafting on several rivers. I went to Clemson Uni and it is only 40 minutes away, so I can get over there for football and basketball games without wasting my whole day on it. On one saturday, I can go to a major college football game, hit the lake, and go hiking, then hit up downtown Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-24-2016 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 07:14 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i can assure you nobody in Gville is jealous of Rivers Avenue, Sam Rittenburg, Savannah Highway, Ashley Phosphate road, etc. If Chucktown wasn't near the beach but the downtown was the same, few people would care about it, in my view. I think it is a decent place to live, but very overrated, mostly by people who have not lived there and or did not grow up elsewhere in the state.

I prefer some old mixed in with a good bit of new. Downtown Gville has a good balance, downtown Charleston is mostly old. Charleston feels kind of stuck in the past, and it kind of hard to escape hearing about the slavery history, civil war, etc. As a native of SC, i'm tired of hearing about that. Gville has a different type of history.

Gville is easily as popular in the Charleston within the state, maybe not as much up north and elsewhere but that is simply because they haven't been there, and/or it is not next to the beach.

there are people who move to Gville just because they like the downtown so much. it is unique.

Chucktown is so flat, and so many pine trees compared to Gville. I like more hardwoods and the fall color and the rolling hills, as well as seeing the majestic Blue Ridge mountains in the distance. I can go hiking in several different spots including in western NC. there are 4 lakes nearby, 2 right at the base of the mountains with clear water, and whitewater rafting on several rivers. I went to Clemson Uni and it is only 40 minutes away, so I can get over there for football and basketball games without wasting my whole day on it. On one saturday, I can go to a major college football game, hit the lake, and go hiking, then hit up downtown Greenville.

I can say that most of what you are saying is BS. I happen to know that within and without of SC Charleston is the most popular city in the State.
Greenville can't even compare to Charleston. It is just another upstate hick town. people moving there doesn't change that fact. It will never achieve the sophistication of Charleston.

Your opinion is just that... an opinion that most people do not share.

So, hold our beers and watch this. After analyzing all 72 cities with a decent amount of people in them, we came up with this list as The Most Redneck Cities in South Carolina:

Seneca
Pickens
Greenville
Greenwood
Gaffney
Greer
York
Laurens
Easley
Walterboro

http://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are-...outh-carolina/

Last edited by Scotty011; 05-24-2016 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I can say that most of what you are saying is BS. I happen to know that within and without of SC Charleston is the most popular city in the State.
Greenville can't even compare to Charleston. It is just another upstate hick town. people moving there doesn't change that fact. It will never achieve the sophistication of Charleston.

gville had one of the highest number of engineers per capita in the country. Engineers are rednecks? Ok then.

as a sc resident, i have a good idea on popularity of greenville and charleston.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:41 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
gville had one of the highest number of engineers per capita in the country. Engineers are rednecks? Ok then.

as a sc resident, i have a good idea on popularity of greenville and charleston.

As a resident, I have the same knowledge as you. And I can verify what you say is wrong. Charleston is the gem in SC. Education wise Charleston beats Greenville in college graduates on all levels. Check it for yourself.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 AM

Ok, i do not believe that I ever seen you post on the SC forums. But I don't look at the Charleston forum much these days.

I don't see how you can speak for everybody on this, and there is no polling data on it. Not a big deal either way. I like Greenville better and that is what is important to me.

Here is a writer for the Charleston City Paper gushing over Greenville. http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/H...own-greenville

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-24-2016 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
I'd rather visit Charleston. I'd rather live in Greenville.

(Unless I had the ungodly amounts of money required to live in the best parts of Charleston.)

Old 05-27-2016, 12:36 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:

So, hold our beers and watch this. After analyzing all 72 cities with a decent amount of people in them, we came up with this list as The Most Redneck Cities in South Carolina:

Seneca
Pickens
Greenville
Greenwood
Gaffney
Greer
York
Laurens
Easley
Walterboro

I agree with you. Plus he thinks South Carolina isn't part of the Deep South. He makes no sense.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:38 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
He likely doesn't enjoy some of the associations with the Deep South, but let's face it- it's South Carolina.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Seneca
Pickens
Greenville
Greenwood
Gaffney
Greer
York
Laurens
Easley
Walterboro

WHat is is that Charleston people do that is sophisticated compared to Greenville?

I don't see how anybody who is pretendint to be an expert on Gville can lump it in with small towns like Gaffney and Laurens and Pickens. THey are not even remotely similar. I"m not sure how they are defining Greer because it is a big area but two of SC's best schools can be said to be in Greer. I believe the swanky Thornblade country club in Greenville has a Greer address. but it is redneck i guess. lol

Seneca has a ton of rich people living on Lake Keowee.

Gville has one of the largest engineers per capita in the country and it is much higher than Charleston. But it is redneck? Hmmmmm.

Greenville is the largest CSA, MSA and county in the state of SC. It would be the largest city if not for the annexation laws. Kind of hard to believe the largest MSA in the state is a 'hick town'.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-27-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I agree with you. Plus he thinks South Carolina isn't part of the Deep South. He makes no sense.
it doesn't make any sense how a person who does not live in SC is constantly posting on here about SC is Deep South. WHy is this so important to you?

You cannot articulate how in the world SC is more like LA than NC and VA. i can sit here and list off like 50 ways it is like NC and VA and you will still say it is more like LA and MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.