Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 06:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Would you add SW Tennessee on there. I only ask that because he listed Arkansas and I took that as the entire state.
Southwest TN is definitely the deep south as opposed to the upper south. I consider where I grew up to be the very edge of the Upland South & while there are some similarities, there are differences as well. The county I work in is one of the two majority black counties in Tennessee. (The other being Shelby, where Memphis is) I like the "American Nations" map by Colin Woodard myself. It is almost spot on.

Even the most SW county (Fulton) in Kentucky is more deep south than upland south in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 PM

1,307 posts, read 837,549 times
Black people up north aren't as southern as down south no matter how much y'all like to say that.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:47 PM

7,056 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Southwest TN is definitely the deep south as opposed to the upper south. I consider where I grew up to be the very edge of the Upland South & while there are some similarities, there are differences as well. The county I work in is one of the two majority black counties in Tennessee. (The other being Shelby, where Memphis is) I like the "American Nations" map by Colin Woodard myself. It is almost spot on.

Even the most SW county (Fulton) in Kentucky is more deep south than upland south in my opinion.
KY is very far from deep south. The northern part of the state is barely south, particularly Louisville, Louisville's NE suburbs, and NKY suburbs of Cincinnati. See my separate thread on this

The deep south begins somewhere in Tennessee, likely south of Nashville. Even Virginia is not deep south. I think the deep south ends somewhere around Charlotte. Charlotte is more a mid atllantic southern.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 PM

People in Louisville sound more southern than Atlanta

Old 09-02-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
KY is very far from deep south. The northern part of the state is barely south, particularly Louisville, Louisville's NE suburbs, and NKY suburbs of Cincinnati. See my separate thread on this

The deep south begins somewhere in Tennessee, likely south of Nashville. Even Virginia is not deep south. I think the deep south ends somewhere around Charlotte. Charlotte is more a mid atllantic southern.
I don't think you understand what I am trying to say. Kentucky as a state is not "deep south". However, Fulton County, KY is more deep south than upper south culturally due to local factors. The Jackson Purchase is undeniably southern, unlike some other parts of Kentucky as you noted.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:40 PM

7,056 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
People in Louisville sound more southern than Atlanta
Totally disagree:
Is Louisville the North or the South? Let's decide once and for all

That article explains.

To teh poster above, the Jackson Purchase of Ky is absolutely southern...but that is prettymuch TN there. The people identify with TN more, not Louisville.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Totally disagree:

That article explains.

To teh poster above, the Jackson Purchase of Ky is absolutely southern...but that is prettymuch TN there. The people identify with TN more, not Louisville.
Louisville is in the south period.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Totally disagree:

That article explains.

They may identify more with Tennessee than Louisville, but they are Kentuckians first and foremost. They look at Louisville & NKY as the outlier in Kentucky, not themselves.

That article reminds me of where I grew up in Southeast Missouri.

You have folks that go to the Catholic or Lutheran church on Sunday, eat food like German Potato Salad & Braunschweiger & have no problem drinking beer on Christmas day.

Then you have the folks that go to the Pentecostal or Baptist church on Sunday, eat food like Cornbread, Soup Beans & Wilted Lettuce & you would have your tail whipped if you showed up at Christmas dinner either with alcohol or after drinking alcohol. (I grew up with this group, not the first)

I don't have very much experience with Louisville, but it is kind of interesting seeing that there are more places like this.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:50 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Peter is over here sharing his minority opinion of Louisville being not Southern.

The only true area of Kentucky that is almost devoid of Southern culture is NKY and even then it is still slightly Southern. Louisville leans South even if it isn't a full blown Southern city.

Anyway the Jackson Purchase region of the state is more Deep South than anything in Kentucky. Whether they identify with Tennessee isn't really relevant to the discussion.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:52 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Black people up north aren't as southern as down south no matter how much y'all like to say that.
Of course not which is why I doubt anyone thinks that. Blacks up North don't even speak in mythical Deep South accents. They nay have a stronger tendency to maintain Southernisms around the Midwest but they don't speak like true Southerners. Probably is fair to say they have Southern influence and that's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.