Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:46 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Actually, NM and AZ were confederate claims and were largely settled by people from the south (save for the remaining Mexican and native population).

Culturally the two are more similar to the south than people think. Not exact by any measure, but politically and religiously they are more aligned with the south.

I don't disagree at all that they are western, but I do like to remind people that they in fact have ties to the south as well.
That's the biggest lie I've ever heard. Only far Eastern New Mexico resembles the South religiously as proven by maps. As far as politically, being Republican isn't an exclusively Southern thing. And that's ancient history. Later on many Northerners settled these states. New Mexico and Arizona have more in common with California than they do with the South. They are not in the same group as Texas and Oklahoma, which unlike NM and AZ are culturally, linguistically, and demographically Southern,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:54 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Not all of Texas is Southern. Just the majority of it.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:57 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
That's the biggest lie I've ever heard. Only far Eastern New Mexico resembles the South religiously as proven by maps. As far as politically, being Republican isn't an exclusively Southern thing. And that's ancient history. Later on many Northerners settled these states. New Mexico and Arizona have more in common with California than they do with the South. They are not in the same group as Texas and Oklahoma, which unlike NM and AZ are culturally, linguistically, and demographically Southern,
That's not a lie...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Arizona

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Me...ican_Civil_War

Yes, northerners have also settled there and had then as well; but the majority of Americans in the area in the 1800's were from Texas and east. Especially prior to the war.

And no, right wing politics and religion is not a southern exclusive but a culture where these are the majority tends to lean towards commonality to the south.

Arizona and NM actually don't have as much in common with California as you think, at least not in terms of popular culture.

All of that aside I am not arguing that Arizona and New Mexico are southern states, I simply put it forward that there are ties to the south in them.

To me, personally, it wouldn't be unusual to group them in with Texas and Oklahoma over California. Note the word 'personally'. As in, you don't have to agree, nor am I saying my opinion is the one truth on the matter.

Why are you always so defensive?

Old 05-20-2016, 02:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
That's not a lie...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Arizona

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Me...ican_Civil_War

Yes, northerners have also settled there and had then as well; but the majority of Americans in the area in the 1800's were from Texas and east. Especially prior to the war.

And no, right wing politics and religion is not a southern exclusive but a culture where these are the majority tends to lean towards commonality to the south.

Arizona and NM actually don't have as much in common with California as you think, at least not in terms of popular culture.

All of that aside I am not arguing that Arizona and New Mexico are southern states, I simply put it forward that there are ties to the south in them.

To me, personally, it wouldn't be unusual to group them in with Texas and Oklahoma over California. Note the word 'personally'. As in, you don't have to agree, nor am I saying my opinion is the one truth on the matter.

Why are you always so defensive?
As a native Texan, I would have to agree that it doesn't exactly make much sense. There are parts of Texas that are more like Georgia than New Mexico.

Having small traces of Southern influence isn't a good reason to place these states in the same region as places that are full-on Southern.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
As a native Texan, I would have to agree that it doesn't exactly make much sense. There are parts of Texas that are more like Georgia than New Mexico.
Oh I don't disagree at all. But there are also parts of Texas that are more like NM than Georgia.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Oh I don't disagree at all. But there are also parts of Texas that are more like NM than Georgia.
Very small parts, which are sparsely populated and rarely visited by most Texans themselves. This is why most people are comfortable saying that Texas is its own region.

I would say that the majority of native Texans are most culturally aligned with Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas. That is the group we most accurately belong to.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Very small parts, which are sparsely populated and rarely visited by most Texans themselves. This is why most people are comfortable saying that Texas is its own region.

I would say that the majority of native Texans are most culturally aligned with Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas. That is the group we most accurately belong to.
Again, I don't disagree.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:29 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
He just said that they have more ties to the South than one would assume (not the same as them being southern states). Not a very big deal.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
He just said that they have more ties to the South than one would assume (not the same as them being southern states). Not a very big deal.
Thank you.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Without looking at any of the previous posts, here's my list of what comprises the Deep South:

Always:
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Partially:
Texas (East Texas)
Florida (Northern Florida)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.