Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,100 times

Advertisements

The low pay and being a straight female mostly gay or dl men...I will past..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Any particular reason(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 12:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
Pay depends mostly on field. Have you actually researched that in relation to the other two cities?

"Mostly gay or dl men"...smh. Atlanta does have a large gay population but they do not constitute a majority.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:08 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
Well if thats why you are passing then thats not a valid reason as their is no fact on that statement.
I read somewhere recently that black women thrive in Atlanta in corporate circles.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:50 PM

247 posts, read 336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
^Agree with all of that pretty much, except I think Atlanta takes it for higher ed. Nashville has one top tier school (Vandy) whereas Atlanta has two (Emory, GA Tech). Nashville has Fisk, TSU, and Meharry while Atlanta has the AUC (Spelman, Morehouse, Clark, Morehouse SOM). But pound for pound, Nashville performs a lot better than most metros its size in the higher ed department whereas Dallas is something of a laggard there.

Also, I'm not sure if I'd rank Nashville last for nightlife as that is one of its strengths.
Nashville has an impressive amount of live music, but there's nothing to write home about otherwise. And much of it is of a specific genre that is not universally liked. Atlanta has much more variety of appeal and quality.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Dallas guy here a bunch of corrections............

1. Excepting people who earn very little the overall state and locally imposed tax burden in Dallas is less than Atlanta, although both pose low tax burdens for very large American cities. Nashville as well.
2. I have friends, acquaintances and employees who barring emergency never use tollroads here. Many more who only rarely use tollroads. I use them all the time because there are an excellent tool IMO.
2a. I visit Atlanta 3 or 4x per year for business and have for many years and know the area passably well. Traffic in Atlanta/Greater Atlanta is worse than in Dallas/DFW. Part of Dallas' advantage in this area is the Tollroads.....even people who don't use them benefit from them.
2b. The, "expect to pay $1,500 in tolls" claim is an absurd slander. To pay that much someone would need to live in North Frisco and drive downtown/past Wycliff (30+ miles one way) every day. $1,500 would put one in the top few percent of users. That's a long way from, "expect to pay".
3. The average high here in both July and August is 96F. We average something like 17 days at 100F of above.
4. We definitely do have interesting weather here. However, as a lifer more or less, I've never seen a tornado here, my houses have never had hail damage and on balance I'd take the weather here over the weather in Atlanta. We have many months of cool to comfortable weather broken up by a hot summer and a few days of cold weather in the winter. Virtually always when it's hot it's also dry - generally when it's over 100F here the relative humidity is in the 30s or very low 40s. In Atlanta when it's 92F the relative humidly is likely to be well over 50%. To most everyone I know in the summer Atlanta feels nearly as oppressive as Houston. I think the takeaway is summers in both Atlanta and Dallas are rough.

To some things which are facts.......
1. Atlanta has a much higher violent crime rate roughly on par with Baltimore, Cleveland and DC, not quite double that of Dallas.
2. DFW has a much lower unemployment rate and a significantly better economy overall - BLS most recent U3 numbers DFW 3. 8%, Greater Atlanta 5.2%.
2a. It's tough to find any important econometric data points in which Atlanta has an advantage over Dallas.
4. In terms of population DFW is bigger and growing faster than Metro-Atlanta.
5. We have two large airports, Love Field serving Dallas and Downtown Dallas particularly well. Not just one extra-large airport.
6. Given the Dallas - Fort Worth binary........we have two examples of many things around here. Two exceptional symphony centers, two fine orchestras, two phenomenal museums, two great zoos, two very different downtown areas etc.
7. Dallas has the NFL, MLB, NBA + WNBA, NHL, MLS Atlanta can't match that.
I could go on for a while.

The OP needs to visit Nashville and give it a good look. It's a fine city with a lot to offer. Frankly, Atlanta is a great city itself it just bugs me when people dirty-sell and area like you did above.
LOL.You either dont know or lying your ass off.
I lived in Witchita Falls and I know the weather in the area is unpredictable place I have ver been outside of Denver.
There were always Tornadoes in around that part of Texas so not sure where you got that from.
Texas id the state with the most Tornado activity and no other state is close
Annual and monthly tornado averages for each state (maps) - U.S. Tornadoes

Eleven people died just last year in the Dallas area.
Texas Storms: At Least 11 Dead as Severe Weather, Tornadoes Hit Dallas Area - NBC News

Dallas also has ice storms that can be bad.
Dallas is a nice city with the best and growing economy but if you want a more urban city with more to do,Dallas just aint it.
Dallas is outperforming most cities from Denver,LA,Chicago,etc so its really not a huge deal because both economies are doing extremely well.Its more of a bragging rights for you but has little bearing in the real world having one less professional sports team or growing a percent faster than the other.

The real issue is quality of life. That differs from each individual to another but if we use metrics based on what the majority would look for,it be Atlanta.
Why?
1)
Dallas has no subway like Atlanta.A line can take you 20 miles North of the city and then South to be directly inside the Airport.
Dallas streetcar is good and getting better but is can never have a reach comparable with MARTA.
Not to mention Atlanta has a streetcar and will expand in the future also.
2)
Outdoor activities pale in comparison to opportunities in Atlanta.Hiking is very popular.
Nothing like the BeltLine in Dallas which is now a major part of life in Atlanta that is overlooked by visitors as it not highly publicized outside of local publications.

Atlanta has so many more festivals and concerts that attract thousands like DragonCon,Music Midtown,Imagine Festival Ac3 Hip Hop,etc.,At least three Amusement Parks
3)Sports?Only thing Dallas has Atlanta does not,its Hockey and their is a team in suburban Gwinnet County.However Atlanta crushes Dallas in everything from College championships and bowl games,NASCAR,PGA,BBT Open(Tennis).
This past Labor Day Weekend ,an estimated half million people or more came to the city of Atlanta.

4)More tourist attractions .College Football Hall of Fame,National Center for Human and Civil Rights.Martin L.King jr site.Jimmy Carter Library,CNN,Walking Dead Tours,Stone Mountain,World of Coke,Georgia Aquarium,Margaret Mitchell house(Gone With the Wind).
We dont have two zoos but we do have one plus an aquarium.
We have the largest Aquarium in North AMerica and the second largest in the world

5)Museums-Atlanta has museums for days.Their is of course The High and MODA but my favorite is the Michael C.Carlos Museum and the Atlanta History Museum
,'Atlanta also has more than one orchestra in its metro.We have 3 that I am aware of.One in Gwinnett County and another in Cobb.Of course Atlanta s well.

Im not knocking Dallas but its my honest opinion that its such a manufactured city with no places like Ponce City or Krog Street Markets,a river as beautiful as the Chattahoochee,or unique suburbs like Serenbe,Roswell,Woodstock or further mountain towns like Dahlonega or Helen.

6)The core of Atlanta is so much more of a real city tha Dallas.Its got aways to go but its still better than Dallas.
I can actually leave my house at 3 am and find a place to eat downtown Atlanta thats not a chain

Old 09-10-2016, 03:19 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Let's be honest, most people don't factor in public transportation when determining quality of life. Speaking as someone who does not own a car and rely on DART to go everywhere, which is pretty easy, the majority of people I know, from California, to New England, to Texas, and a bunch of other places, don't put much emphasis on public transportation.

In fact, I never heard so much debate about public transport until I joined CD and saw so many people brag about "their" cities' systems.

I know plenty of people who love hiking in Dallas, even if I personally hate doing anything that requires being in the sun. Atlanta has more trees but, really, what outdoor activities can you do in Atlanta but not in Dallas?

Seriously, of anything that either one of y'all mentioned, the only ones that actual people really do care about are crime rate and weather. Most people don't care that there are two airports, or slightly more events, or more sports team.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Let's be honest, most people don't factor in public transportation when determining quality of life. Speaking as someone who does not own a car and rely on DART to go everywhere, which is pretty easy, the majority of people I know, from California, to New England, to Texas, and a bunch of other places, don't put much emphasis on public transportation.

In fact, I never heard so much debate about public transport until I joined CD and saw so many people brag about "their" cities' systems.

I know plenty of people who love hiking in Dallas, even if I personally hate doing anything that requires being in the sun. Atlanta has more trees but, really, what outdoor activities can you do in Atlanta but not in Dallas?

Seriously, of anything that either one of y'all mentioned, the only ones that actual people really do care about are crime rate and weather. Most people don't care that there are two airports, or slightly more events, or more sports team.
Actually depending on where you are from or how much you have ever used public transportation,it does matter a great deal.Only someone who has never relied on it would say that.

So many companies are/have movng back into the city from the suburbs for this very reason. NCR,GE and now Honeywell.Even in Dunwoody State Farm building its new headquarters with MARTA access direct into its building.

After affordability and weather,having a subway is key reason Im in Atlanta and not Dallas,Miami or Houston.

Atlanta has more intersting stuff to do.Looking on paper you will never see them as so different.
Atlanta has some great suburban historic towns like Roswell,Decatur,Serenbe,Woodstock,Covington and even further in the mountains,quait towns like Dahlonega,Helen,Blue Ridge where you can go to the Apple Orchards and go Apple or Pumpkin picking, walk or hike alongside some gorgeous waterfalls under a lush canopy of trees,go wine tasting at some of the wineries,pan for gold near the site of the first Gold rush in teh U.S.
North Georgis is so much prettier and fun than North Texas. Ive lived in North Texas.I dont wanna leave Dallas to visit Lubbock,Amarillio or Witchita Falls.
Those cities are not even that populous themselves.

Atlanta has WAY more festivals than Dallas.This past Labor Day we had over half million people coe in to Atlanta.
Dragon has over 70,000
Bowl game brought in over 50,000
Black gay Pride over 40,000
House in the Park 15,000
Decatur Book Festival over 75,000

Atlanta is a city people from Birmingham,Charlotte,Savannah,Charleston,Montgomer y,Tallahassee,Jacksonville,Nashville and all over the South routinely come for weekend excursions.
Dallas does not have the regional pull.Thats why it has so little attractions compared to Atlanta.

Aa far as crime rate,there is no drastic difference where it would lead someone to pick one over the other either.Same with weather.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 09-11-2016 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 08:51 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Why go on about Atlanta. She has taken it off her list.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Why go on about Atlanta. She has taken it off her list.
Other people use these threads for years asking the same questions

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 09-11-2016 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.