U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 01:59 AM

3 posts, read 11,653 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

this is my first post after some reading.
I live in Australia and have travelled to the US on 3 seperate ocassions, spending a total of 18 months in your great country.
it is now my intention to purchase a home in the US and spend 2 - 4 months each year in the US.
I wish to purchase in a city/town that is safe, as my residence will remain vacant for a portion of the year or i may indeed rent it out for the autum winter months. I would also like a town built arroun a lake.
I wish to be involved in golf, cycling and personal aviation at a local airfield.
I have listed a series of cities and would like the groups opinion.
I would hope to choose an area that has some capital growth potential on my original investment, being in construction i would spend time each year renovating and improving my US home.

The areas i have looked at are:

Yankton - south Dakota
Lancaster - Ohio
South Bend - Indiana
Oshkosh - Wisconsin
Brookville - Pennsylvania

If the group can advise me on these or any other areas i would greatly apprecite the help.

regards

leona cameron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,058,904 times
The only one I have been to is Oshkosh. It is a nice town. Unfortunately, most of the retail is out on the highway leading to Green Bay. The downtown area is slowly improving. There are some big homes there for pretty reasonable prices. Lake Winnebago is nice. Lake flies in the spring are something to behold. Lots of farmland around it.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Well, we're glad you enjoy our country. One thing to consider is the difficulty of renting a house for a six-eight month period yearly. Almost all of your prospective renters will insist on at least a one-year lease.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times
Look no further than the Naperville Aero Estates (about 40 miles west of Chicago). Not only is the city absolutely wonderful (consistently ranks in the top 10 cities in the USA per CNN/Money Magazine), but this particular neighborhood has its own airstrip and plane hangers on each owners' property. You literally fly in and fly out of your own neighborhood. As for cycling, there are many forest preserves in the area, which offer nicely groomed trails and quiet cycling. Golf? Chicagoland has more golf courses per capita than any other city in the USA (heck, we invented the 18 hole course). You can choose from an endless variety of wonderful courses. Best of luck in your decision! If you want some more info Ill be glad to help.

Naperville Restaurants Bars Clubs Entertainment

Best places to retire 2007: Most golf courses - MONEY Magazine

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 AM

9,869 posts, read 21,161,251 times
I would recommend Frankfort Kentucky. It is a historic river town of about 27,000 which is the KY state capitol. There are 2 miles of cycling trails right in city along the Kentucky River, along with another 2 miles of hiking trails.

Cycling is also popular along US 60 btw Frankfort and Lexington, which runs through KY's Horse Farm Country. In addition, a 110 mile bike trail is being built around the city of Louisville, which is only 50 miles away. 30 miles of this trail have already been completed.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,850 times
Urbana, Ohio is a quaint city of 12,000 people. It is between Dayton, Ohio and Columbus, Ohio. There is a small lake in Urbana called Clearwater Lake. There are 11 homes on the lake and the homes are 30 feet from the water. The lake is crystal clear and lovely to kayak on and boat and fish. A bicycle path that leads to Cincinnati is within 1/4 mile. Lovely area and well worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.