U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 PM

185 posts, read 128,738 times

Advertisements

I know there is more factors than just actual excericse , but how is dc #1 it's flat . No mountains to climb or hike . Any city in the world has a piece of pavement bike pAth to run on I don't get it .

You would think places with perfect year round weather and endless hiking and mountains and forest would be higher ( SoCal )

Although my city has mountains and forest in every direction it's the 1% of our population that is not lazy enough to enjoy these beautiful mountains . People here like to sit around and eat fast food and complain about winter on social media

Does your city rank among the nation's fittest? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 06:56 AM

3,792 posts, read 3,029,450 times
Washington DC doesn't surprise me at all, really, for several reasons, the most direct one being income. Plus there are a lot of people to impress. Also, not all cities
certainly have a park system like DC. At all. Pavement isn't all
made equally, and DC was built vastly different to every city, to where trails/parks, along with monuments are a predominant feature in the skyline, and so, people can easily just hop out of work and onto a trail, and an incredibly scenic one like that. Consider that DC is around 2 hrs from the Atlantic Beaches, but also around 90 minutes from the Appalachian Trail, or the fact that the Great Allegheny Passage, easily the nation's longest/most famous rails to trails effort (connecting to Pittsburgh) starts there in Georgetown. Also there's a lot of people looking to impress looks-wise, probably more than any other city. If you see, Denver, Portland and San Francisco are also in the top 5, many people specifically move there for fitness. But, also remember, income. And a relatively homogeneous population. Minneapolis isn't as wealthy as the other cities on the list, but also has some of the smallest percentage of people living in poverty, and the most homogeneous population on this list, especially Scandinavian, which are among the least likely to be overweight statistically. That's why there's a lot of tall people in Minneapolis. And, did I mention income? Don't get me wrong, all these cities have great parks and fitness initiatives too, but, I think it's one of those classic cases of one thing preceding the other, and leading to the other. Because Appalachia you would think with all the trails around is among the fittest, but for the most part, the opposite is true.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:49 AM

7,662 posts, read 4,052,927 times
There are a ton of places to hike near DC, little mountains in Maryland, Potamac Falls in northern Virginia, etc.

this list is bogus because they don't have access to people's activity levels, how much they smoke, their mental health records.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 AM

8,795 posts, read 7,745,598 times
You can get exercise by walking. Anywhere. No mountains required. Just land.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,858,329 times
Raleigh being on the higher end is no surprise. Miami being on the lower side is somewhat of a surprise.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:16 AM

7,747 posts, read 4,609,066 times
The methodology of this study could not be stupider..
Quote:
Atlanta-Sandy Springs MSA
Total Score = 62.3; Rank = 14
Areas of Excellence (at or better than target goal):
• Higher percent of population within a 10 minute walk to a park
• More park playgrounds per capita
• More golf courses per capita
• More park units per capita
• More recreation centers per capita
• More swimming pools per capita
• More tennis courts per capita
• Higher park-related expenditures per capita
• Higher level of state requirement for Physical Education classes
Improvement Priority Areas (worse than 20% of target goal):
• Lower percent meeting CDC aerobic activity guidelines
• Lower percent consuming 2+ fruits per day
• Higher percent obese
• Higher percent with asthma
• Higher percent with diabetes
• Lower percent of city land area as parkland
• Fewer acres of parkland per capita
• Lower percent using public transportation to work
• Lower percent bicycling or walking to work
• Fewer dog parks per capita
The city scores highly, because it has things that could potentially lend them selves to fitness, even though it scores poorly on actual measures of fitness.

Last edited by gladhands; 05-26-2016 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 AM

436 posts, read 333,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This. Reps.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:06 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,858,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I walk the fire escape stairs in my highrise.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,137,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The methodology of this study could not be stupider..

The city scores highly, because it has things that could potentially lend them selves to fitness, even though it scores poorly on actual measures of fitness.
This is horrible. That sucks.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 AM

3,792 posts, read 3,029,450 times
In an effort to play devil's advocate, obviously that shouldn't be a predominant category for what's trying to be determined, but in terms of useful information for people trying to decide where to live, isn't that good to include? It can be an indicator that you have access to these facilities and thus, be more fit by doing so. Also, cities can't always control their population demographics, so it's still good to see Atlanta making initiatives that are designed to improve public health, and I don't mind that they are rewarded in some small way. It's true that you can exercise literally anywhere, but, I think that having park spaces tends to lend itself more to doing so.

It does make sense then why Miami did rank on the lower end, as while they have made strides in that area recently, they generally rank behind numerous other cities for that.

Kind of ironic that there's a lower percent meeting CDC guidelines, in the town that hosts the CDC...

Also, I'm not super surprised Miami is lower, as it has the 2nd lowest median income in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.