Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:35 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,845,693 times

Advertisements

Detroit (not including outdoor malls): 9
Somerset Collection
Eastland Center
Fairlane Town Center
Great Lakes Crossing Outlets
Lakeside Mall
Oakland Mall
Twelve Oaks Mall
Westland Mall
Canada side:
Devonshire Mall

There are a few other malls that come close (900,000+ square feet). And some of the malls made the cut but were put out of business by newer and bigger malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 02:56 PM

103 posts, read 95,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I'd actually be curious to know if there are any true malls that lie directly on a rapid transit or commuter rail line.
There are lots in Vancouver and Toronto. In fact, most of the largest malls in those two cities are on subway/Skytrain lines.

The city of Toronto has 4 indoor malls with over 1 million square feet of gross leaseble area (Toronto Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens, Yorkdale, Scarborough Town Centre). All but Yorkdale have a subway stop.

Metro Vancouver's largest mall is Metrotown, with something like 450 stores already and plans for another large expansion. It has a SkyTrain stop.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,702,913 times
Quote:
Well, I think if we do enough homework, we could break the metros down on a per capita basis, and see who punches above their weight and who underperforms.

It might also lead to some more insight, as a region that might seem to "underperform", based on simple numbers, might actually have some mitigating circumstances (geography, avg mall size, etc.) that explain why that region has less malls than expected. So there's still things left to discuss, though it's going to take some number crunching.

I'd actually be curious to know if there are any true malls that lie directly on a rapid transit or commuter rail line.

A few I would think

Crystal City Mall in DC
Gallery in Philly (subways and all regional lines)
Tysons I believe now is in NOVA
KOP if it gets build will have the HR extension
I know there a mall in Chciago I saw a CR station at around deerfield

Old 05-26-2016, 03:20 PM

12,615 posts, read 21,761,835 times
I remember thinking that the DC area had an obscene number of indoor shopping malls relative to its size when I lived there. There are a number of them over 1,000,000 square feet, but I think there are a ton in that 500,000-900,000 square foot range. But I don't know the actual number of them. It just felt like a lot.

Boston has a few. I can think of 7 off the top of my head over 1M sq. ft. You could count Shops at Prudential and Copley Place as number 8 (technically different malls, but they're connected by a skybridge over Huntington Avenue) as they total right around 1 Million. I didn't count Emerald Square in North Attleboro which is technically metro Providence (North Attelboro is in Bristol County), but is 4 miles from Plainville which is metro Boston. So it's right on the border, but technically not Boston.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:28 PM

12,615 posts, read 21,761,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
A few I would think

Crystal City Mall in DC
Gallery in Philly (subways and all regional lines)
Tysons I believe now is in NOVA
KOP if it gets build will have the HR extension
I know there a mall in Chciago I saw a CR station at around deerfield
Shops at Prudential and Copley Place in Boston are indoor malls with a Green Line stop underneath and an Amtrak/Commuter Rail/Orange Line stop right across the street (Back Bay).

Providence Place in Providence is at the Amtrak/Commuter Rail Station.

Westgate San Francisco Centre has an entrance from the Powell station.

Shops at Tanforan in San Bruno (San Bruno BART on-site).

Hillsdale Shopping Center in San Mateo is right next to the Hillsdale Caltrain stop.

Stanford Shopping Center is about a 5 minute walk to Palo Alto Caltrain.

I imagine there are a ton.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:57 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,024 posts, read 7,414,618 times
I'd imagine the DC-Baltimore CSA as a whole would be near the top of the list, there are decent size malls in every corner of the region.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,024 posts, read 7,414,618 times
What I came up with for the DC/Baltimore region, we don't share all of them, but at least the larger ones have decent overlap with the adjacent counties:

DC area suburbs:

Tysons Corner Center- 2,200,000 sq ft

Westfield Montgomery Mall 1,223,475 sq ft

Springfield "Town Center" indoor mall- 1,700,000 sq ft

Potomac Mills- 1,606,000 sq. ft.

Lakeforest Mall - 1,045,000 sq ft

Fair Oaks Mall, VA - 1,565,000 sq ft

Dulles Town Center, VA- 1,400,000 sq ft

Spotsylvania Mall 1,700,000 million sq ft

The Mall at Prince Georges, MD- 910,352 sq ft (planned retail expansion coming) http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...signs-h-m.html

St. Charles Mall, Waldorf MD- 981,000 sq ft

Tysons Galleria/Tysons 2 -800,000 sq ft all high end luxury retail

The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City- 821,024 sq ft retail, 169,089 sq office, with expansion in retail coming. Fashion Centre at Pentagon City Expansion

That's 8 (or 9 if you count Pentagon City) I counted around immediate DC over 1 million sq ft (and I did not round up the one with 981,000 sq ft). With two expanding currently to make it 10 above 1 million sq in the next couple of years. The suburbs however do stretch out pretty far, so there is much overlap in at least 3 of the below Baltimore area malls in bold. Also this does not take into account the plethora of redeveloped malls torn down into the thing that DC's suburbs is most notorious for which is walkable "town centers". For one example Bowie Town Center has 755,000 sq ft of retail.

Baltimore area:

Westfield Annapolis- 1,416,774 sq ft

The Mall in Columbia, MD -1,400,000 sq ft

Arundel Mills Mall - 1,630,000 sq ft

Security Square Mall- 1,040,000 sq ft

Towson Town Center- 1,040,000 square feet

White Marsh- 1,200,000 sq ft

This makes 6 malls in the Baltimore MSA above 1 million sq ft also, not sure if I forgot any.

This would make 14 or 15 in the CSA currently above that 1 million sq ft threshold still with many malls in the 500,-800,000 sq ft range not on the list.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-26-2016 at 05:09 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 05:24 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,899,375 times
I thought shopping malls were a dying breed. It will be interesting to see how many of these are still thriving, a few years down the road.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:29 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Shops at Prudential and Copley Place in Boston are indoor malls with a Green Line stop underneath and an Amtrak/Commuter Rail/Orange Line stop right across the street (Back Bay).

Providence Place in Providence is at the Amtrak/Commuter Rail Station.

Westgate San Francisco Centre has an entrance from the Powell station.

Shops at Tanforan in San Bruno (San Bruno BART on-site).

Hillsdale Shopping Center in San Mateo is right next to the Hillsdale Caltrain stop.

Stanford Shopping Center is about a 5 minute walk to Palo Alto Caltrain.

I imagine there are a ton.
Not sure what the square footage is of Block 37 in Chicago but they connect with both the blue and red line

Old 05-26-2016, 05:41 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,831,873 times
Quote:
Both Lenox Square and Perimeter Mall in Atlanta are on rail lines, the Gold and Red respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.