U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:21 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,088,797 times

Advertisements

What metrics would you consider in measuring the livability of a city?

Here are mine

Social cohesion- Trust between inhabitants. Cooperation between civilians and law enforcement.

Low inequality- Inequality is conducive to segregation. Segregation is never a preferred outcome for a city.

Social capital- Cultural identity and social networks for residents to seek opportunity and help in time of need.

If your city doesn't have these characteristics, you're in the wrong city. Unfortunately, a lot of us are trapped in cities with poor livability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 PM

185 posts, read 128,206 times
I'm trapped where I live . It's a sh*thole and a sad excuse for a capital . Low income food stamps run rampant

Unfortunately for me I can't afford any of the 6 cities I want to live in and I'm not gonna settle anywhere so I just stay where the mountains and outdoor and family and friends are

Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
Dense, walkable neighborhoods within a reasonable walk to the #1 job center.

Decent transit.

Ethnic and cultural diversity.

Air connections.

Strong, diversified economy.

Scenery everywhere.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:02 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
I'm trapped where I live . It's a sh*thole and a sad excuse for a capital . Low income food stamps run rampant

Unfortunately for me I can't afford any of the 6 cities I want to live in and I'm not gonna settle anywhere so I just stay where the mountains and outdoor and family and friends are
I don't know about that, as it is like any city that has a range of people in terms of economic status.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:58 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,953 times
Everyone has a different criteria but here's mine.

1. LGBT Friendly/moderately social liberal. Doesn't need to be San Francisco or New York level but would like to be able to go on dates with my boyfriend/be open about who I am without hostility or intolerance.

2. Decent amount of quality bars and restaurants. I thrive on socialization and like to spend my free time going out with friends and meeting new people.

3. Generally safe neighborhood and low-crime rates for me to live in. I'm fine with taking normal precautions (not going down allies, locking doors and windows, being aware of surroundings) but I'd strongly prefer not to live in a high crime/poverty neighborhood.

4. Decent job market, specifically in regards to politics, nonprofits, law and government relations work.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:02 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,003,697 times
For me:
1. Salaries keep up with COL (e.g., if two teachers salaries can't get a house in a decent area, it's a no no.)
2. Traffic is manageable, and/or there is some functional form of public transit
3. Crime, especially violent crime, is rare to the point where it's not a thought in mind
4. Some type of walkable downtown center/neighborhoods where people can see and participate in urban lifestyle
5. At least one decent sized bike path, and several parks around town where one could go hiking
6. Tons of chains aren't essential, but preferably at least one department store (like Macy's), mid-scale grocery store (like Publix or Kroger), a movie theatre, and preferably a few other known big box retailers (if not, questions are raised) within a 30 minute drive.
7. An airport, if even a smaller, regional one, within an hour.
8. At minimum, at least one community art gallery or local theatre, somewhere within the area, in addition to some D-1 College or Pro Sports, within a half hour.
9. Being within at least 3 hours of a MAJOR city, where there is a diverse and sophisticated economy (preferably within that range of a region or hub that has a population of at least 2 Million people. Also, preferably, within 3 hours of a natury type Naitonal Park place, where there are hills/unique geology/etc., and can serve as an escape.
10. An area where some postsecondary educational opportunities are present (there should be at very least a community college within a half hour, preferably a bigger one also)
11. Some type of healthcare facility nearby (a decent one within 30 minutes)
12. Natural Disasters can happen anywhere, but I would prefer to avoid places that are prone to floods, tornadoes or droughts.

These would really be basic standards for me, although, preferably, more of these needs would be met. I have always lived in relatively suburban areas, but ones where a major city was close by (30 minutes from DT Cleveland, 20 minutes from DT Orlando, and currently 45 minutes from DT Tampa and 30 minutes from DT St. Petersburg). Obviously, offerings vary by size, but 250,000, is about the smallest region size I think I could deal with, with some exceptions, and I would prefer at least 1,000,000 C.S.A.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,003,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Everyone has a different criteria but here's mine.
1. LGBT Friendly/moderately social liberal. Doesn't need to be San Francisco or New York level but would like to be able to go on dates with my boyfriend/be open about who I am without hostility or intolerance.
Good point. I'm certainly not socially liberal on everything, but I am on that. I wouldn't feel comfortable being in an area where someone who is LGBT would feel anything but welcomed and accepted as part of a community.

Also, as a Christian, I've generally lived in places that are quite purple/do what you will (though Bradenton is a little more on the conservative side), but I wouldn't want to live in a place where I would be looked down upon for being a practicing Christian as it is a big part of who I am.

Also wouldn't want to live in a place with overly high taxes or government spending.

I'd like to live in a place where it was perfectly fiscally conservative and socially at least somewhat liberal, but I don't think there's a place exactly like that, however the 3 places I've lived so far have been pretty good overall.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:48 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
High taxes are sometimes not aligned with reputation, but the places with high-tax reputations tend to be best in my opinion. Better public infrastructure etc. Give me a coastal liberal city anyday. Not that I agree with everything liberal (moderate on PC-ness, entitlements, etc.).

Old 05-27-2016, 09:59 PM

12,588 posts, read 15,054,657 times
1/ Good job market, for educated residents, Unemployment rate at 4% or below.
2/ Diversity in terms of culture, races, religions, sexual orientation, ages, etc
3/ Presence of universities, colleges.
4/ Close to a major airport, no more than 60 minutes away.
5/ Low crime.
6/ Strong healthcare.
7/ Moderate traffic congestion.
8/ Parks, golf courses, trails.
9/ Similar socioeconomic status.
10/ Museums.
11/ Liberal mindset.
12/ Salaries commensurate with COL.
13/ Vibrant, diverse restaurant scene.
14/ Moderate population density.
15/ Moderate weather range; not too hot or too cold. (No Phoenix or Minneapolis for me!)

Old 05-28-2016, 01:16 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,088,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
High taxes are sometimes not aligned with reputation, but the places with high-tax reputations tend to be best in my opinion. Better public infrastructure etc. Give me a coastal liberal city anyday. Not that I agree with everything liberal (moderate on PC-ness, entitlements, etc.).

Liberal cities have high inequality and minimal social cohesion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.