Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:05 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
This pretty much describes NC, VA, MD
I wouldn't call MD's winters mild. They can be particularly harsh, especially looking at the last few seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 01:17 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Winter in Los Angeles fell on a Tuesday this year, but since it happened at night, I missed it.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Virginia, Virginia, Virginia, and also, though this is a little bit of a long shot, Virginia.

I mean, that's Virginia Beach's weather in a nutshell.
I mostly agree.
Well, spring and fall are warmer there. I mean 50 degrees? That could easily be a day in December in much of the Piedmont and Tidewater areas.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I wouldn't call MD's winters mild. They can be particularly harsh, especially looking at the last few seasons.
Yes, parts of MD and Virginia vary a lot, but the 2010s has been particularly record-breaking. The '80s-2000s were generally more normal.

Baltimore Snow History: Breaking Pattern Of Storms -
"We’ve also had a pattern of large snowstorms every 3 to 4 years in Baltimore dating back to the early 1990s. That includes events nearly a foot (11.5″ or more). The triple blizzards of 2009-2010 fit that, but also broke it with three events in one season. Our last one was around Valentine’s Day in 2014. That was two years ago, and the reason why I did not expect a major event this season. Well, I was wrong about that. This storm will surely break out pattern, and give Baltimore 5 major storms in the past 6 years.

Maryland usually has winter highs in the mid-upper forties and lows right around freezing, though going into the mountainous West you can find colder weather.

Like I said earlier, 50°=some day in December and in this area and spring is more 50 (late Feb) to 75 (early to mid May). Summer in MD and VA are 80s-90 during the day and 65-75 at night.

To find those colder shoulder seasons and summer you would really need to look to the Pac NW.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:04 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Hawaii
California
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina

These are places which have populated areas that regularly receive mild winters.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:16 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Depends where. I live on the eastern shore near the coast and there is rarely a winter day that drops below freezing. matter of fact, the coldest times of the winter daytime temps are usually in the low 40's. Yes, there are days the temps may dip below freeezing but those are rare. Nights, however are different and yes, it does get quite cold. But rarely below the mid to upper 20's. Again, these last few years, with the exception to this past one, the winters have been harsh. So much so that many considered this past winter mild when in all reality, it was actually more normal for this part of MD. Snow hardly falls here and when it does, it's usually gone by mid morning. If you sleep till noon, you'll miss it! Those cstorms that hammer us come up from the south and have a lot of moisture. Typically, if we get it hard, VA and NC is getting it as well and Jersey north hardly gets any!

Now, the wind can make it feel colder then it is and the lack of snow may mean more ice, so it's not a perfect climate, but isn't harsh. I call it mild and it fits right into what the OP is looking for. Along with many other parts of the Coastal mid-Atlantic and upper SE states. In my experienses. DE, MD VA and NC have very similar climates. Its just the further south you go the more inland that climate stretches. The other differences is that when a cold front hits eastern MD, on a Tuesday, it may not hit VA beach till Wednesday and NC till Thursday, leave NC Saturday, VA Sunday and MD Mon, so we'll have a few more days of the cold then they do.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Along the Atlantic coast, anywhere from around Seaside Heights, NJ on south would meet your criteria. In the Piedmont, further inland, anywhere from Washington, DC south would suffice. In the mountains, anywhere from Asheville, NC south would meet your criteria.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:10 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Your fall and winter descriptions are the same.. 30 to 50 is a mild winter but a pretty cold fall.

The way you describe winter tho, as being on the chilly side with occasional but not a lot of snow, sounds like north Texas.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:07 PM

599 posts, read 401,648 times
Here in Charlotte, NC the winters aren't that bad. We only get around four inches of snow annually though we can and sometimes do get ice storms which like the snow shuts everything down for a couple of days. It does tend to get into the 70's during winter a couple of times though it's mostly in the 50's and 60's for winter here which isn't that bad compared to most of the country.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Sunbelt states and the coastal areas of the Pacific Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.