Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times

Advertisements

I would also support an idea like a fast-food chain style of healthy foods. Imagine going through the drive-thru and getting a healthy low-calorie salad or sandwich, or bananas... That would support the "lazy" people in eating right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
We need to create new restaurants introducing HEALTHY basic foods like rice, beans, cooked (not fried) chicken, beef, and vegetables. Most countries in the world have rice as their basic palettes. Which is extremely healthy for you and keeps the fat off. Then we need to have free workshops and conferences teaching parents how to cook basic rice, boiled chicken and beef, and vegetables. That would be the start.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:40 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
This is somewhat limited because of Obamacare however a consumption tax on "unhealthy" foods to at least bring them on par to healthy foods would be a great idea. In many scenarios the reason why we see this epidemic is partly cause of costs.

Lots of Americans don't exercise. For most people it's as much as walking from house to car, car to work, work to car, car to house. So it's important to address that as well. At one point I was walking almost five miles a day when I lived on my college campus (not too mention I was carrying textbooks) and my classes were the opposite side of campus from where I lived, and I lost weight from that. Cities should work on promoting things like bike lanes and trails which are free to the public that would help with this. We could promote walkable areas in general, many if they had a grocery store within walking distance (or a short public transit ride) I think would make these areas more sufficient, however people prefer Super-Walmarts with almost a width of a block for car parking so that ruins it.
People think about as far ahead as their noses. They chase "cheap" and "easy" but create problems that they'd pay lots of money to get rid of.

Like the person who drives to avoid a 20-minute walk to work, saving 15 minutes each way, then spends 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Or the person who decides to buy a bigger house because all those "deals" require a bigger kitchen and bigger garage.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:34 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
A lot of it has to do with parenting and the lack of affordable healthy food.

For example, a single mom who is working all day and on a limited income much more likely to pick up something that is quick and easy for dinner than to pay premium for healthier food and take time to prepare it properly.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't be for this but the government could subsidize healthier food options in grocery stores.

If I had kids I would encourage them to find a physical activity they enjoy (swimming, soccer, dancing, gymnastics, baseball, running, football, field hockey, ice skating, rollerblading etc.). It doesn't necessarily need to be an organized sport and I recognize not everyone has the financial capacity to have their child play lacrosse or ice hockey.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
How do you change the mentality of the American public? We have become such a lazy, instant gratification seeking, pleasure seeking culture that we somehow feel entitled to having everything that we want when we want it, including fattening, unhealthy foods.

Go to a restaurant sometime and look at the portion sizes and calorie counts. It is mind boggling. A restaurant meal can easily contain and surpass the number of calories needed to sustain an adult human for an entire day...and then we add drinks and dessert and go home and watch TV and go to bed. We get fat and we buy bigger clothes and convince ourselves that being overweight is just fine and there you go. We are a fat society.

How do you convince Americans who are used to having what they want when they want it that they need to abstain from things that are unhealthy and shorten their lives when they find those things pleasurable? Pleasure and instant gratification trump health and fitness in our culture and I'm not sure how we fix that or if we even can at this point.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:33 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
You get a tax break if you run a marathon LOL. That'll get em' off the couch and into a pair of running shoes.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:01 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Until items like a head of broccoli become less expensive than a value meal at a fast food chain, we're going to be facing an obesity epidemic. As someone already stated until the USDA stops heavily subsidizing unhealthier crops like corn and wheat, this is it.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:23 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Free gastric bypass surgery for those over 100#

Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Until items like a head of broccoli become less expensive than a value meal at a fast food chain, we're going to be facing an obesity epidemic. As someone already stated until the USDA stops heavily subsidizing unhealthier crops like corn and wheat, this is it.
But that's only part of the equation. Broccoli could be free and most people would still pass it over for a Big Mac or a hot fudge sundae. Americans have come to favor the taste of high sugar, high fat, high sodium foods that are bad for our bodies.

When people celebrate an event, they don't steam a bunch of broccoli, they go out for steak and fatty, salty side dishes and appetizers and polish it off with a big, rich dessert like birthday cake and ice cream. It's just what our cultural norm is. How do you change what tastes good to people? You can try the argument that it is good for them, but another norm in our culture is to abuse our bodies and then expect modern medicine to undo the damage. Sun damaged? Botox and dermabrasion will fix you up. High cholesterol? There's a drug for that. Obese? Try this diet pill and don't worry about changing how and what you eat. Constipated because of your high fat, low fiber diet? A trip to Walgreens can take care of that, etc., etc.

It's a huge dilemma, isn't it?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
But that's only part of the equation. Broccoli could be free and most people would still pass it over for a Big Mac or a hot fudge sundae. Americans have come to favor the taste of high sugar, high fat, high sodium foods that are bad for our bodies.

When people celebrate an event, they don't steam a bunch of broccoli, they go out for steak and fatty, salty side dishes and appetizers and polish it off with a big, rich dessert like birthday cake and ice cream. It's just what our cultural norm is. How do you change what tastes good to people? You can try the argument that it is good for them, but another norm in our culture is to abuse our bodies and then expect modern medicine to undo the damage. Sun damaged? Botox and dermabrasion will fix you up. High cholesterol? There's a drug for that. Obese? Try this diet pill and don't worry about changing how and what you eat. Constipated because of your high fat, low fiber diet? A trip to Walgreens can take care of that, etc., etc.

It's a huge dilemma, isn't it?
I agree the solution is diverse, but think if broccoli and other healthier options weren't more costly it would make the everyday diet healthier for many which would be a good start. There's a saying that holds true in my opinion that goes something to the effect of if one get a carrot stick/celery stick or other veggie into a kid's mouth before the first french fry, your options increase exponentially as a parent in terms of what they'll willingly eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.