Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your city have enough trees?
Yes, there are more than enough trees 45 67.16%
No, we need more trees 18 26.87%
Who knows? 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times

Advertisements

Aside from palms, Phoenix is almost entirely devoid of trees that aren't scraggly and 10 feet tall. Super depressing environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:48 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I love trees, but I am not a fan of my city's trees (apart from appreciating the shade and life).

The vast majority are non-natives, they were planted in a small window of time and are now, en masse, entering their die-off so they tend to range between scraggly and dead.

The areas of natural, native forest near the river are damaged due to controlling (completely halting) the periodic flooding that the ecosystem relied upon so the native trees are dying and invasive non-natives are taking over.

The arborculture in Albuquerque is in a very sorry state.
Phoenix is similar. The trees however are well-kept for the most part. There are a lot of sissoo trees here in Phoenix (might have them in ABQ as they are drought-resistant) but they are terrible trees. A lot of new neighborhoods have migrated towards desert landscaping which is something we need. Lots of palo verdes.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:53 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Seattle is absurdly barren in some places.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Aside from palms, Phoenix is almost entirely devoid of trees that aren't scraggly and 10 feet tall. Super depressing environment.
Not entirely though Arizona can only support so many types of trees. I am pro-cactus landscaping, lots of new development have incorporated Saguaros, palo verdes, prickly pear, cholla, ocotillo along with some bushes which make for a natural almost cost-free (as they don't really need watering unless non-native plant) beautiful environment.

A couple neighborhoods in Phoenix proper are almost as green as the Midwest. Google photos of North Central Phoenix I think you would be interested. Near Central and Glendale Avenue on Google Maps if you prefer street view if you search those neighborhoods.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:24 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Not nearly enough. We do have stunning purple blooming Jacaranda street trees over much of the city, but they are only impressive during their spring bloom. Too many Palm trees and even in older, established neighbors like mine which have more than most it is still somewhat lacking. I am lucky as we live right on the border of the wilder side of Balboa Park and so our view is quite sylvan for being in a near desert with stands of eucalyptus and oaks, but it is nothing like back East.

Sacramento is the only large city in California that has a ton of trees and is very noticeable for that, Chico, up the way another 90 miles to the north, is a smaller city that has a similar allee of trees kind of quality throughout many streets there.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:35 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Eh, there's nothing really depressing about seeing camelback mountain in the distance, rows of palm trees, cacti and brightly colored flowers.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:39 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Eh, there's nothing really depressing about seeing camelback mountain in the distance, rows of palm trees, cacti and brightly colored flowers.
yeah I agree, this picture of Phoenix just screams depressing lol (sarcasm). Notice all of those tall green little things sticking up before you hit Camelback Mountain too...that other poster definitely made a gross generalization.
Attached Thumbnails
Does your city have enough trees?-camelback.jpg  

Old 06-09-2016, 12:47 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
yeah I agree, this picture of Phoenix just screams depressing lol. Notice all of those tall green little things sticking up before you hit Camelback Mountain too...they have no idea what they are talking about.
Just hiked Camelback on Saturday, despite the risk of heat stroke it was absolutely lovely. From my perspective Parts of Scottsdale are ridiculously vegetated considering it's a climate that does not see a lot of rainfall.

Back to the original topic, I think Columbus, OH has enough trees/parks but they aren't distributed equally. This results with the well-off neighborhoods being tree-lined and very aesthetically pleasing and then poorer neighborhoods that seem to be mostly concrete or overgrown grass.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:47 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parhe View Post
trees can be a drain on water resources and an increase danger for wildfires. While i agree trees are beautiful and find the picture above the same, too many trees, locally, is a thing.
ONLY in the west! In the east, we don't *water* tress. Rain takes care of that for us!

We also don't have wildfires. Or earthquakes. Or windstorms. Or mudslides.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:12 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
A big storm came through the area yesterday and took down many trees all over. It was crazy, but the storm came and went in about 20 Minutes. Looks like we need to replace some trees! Haha

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.